What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jan 10, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #1,636 of 14,566
Schiit should add one dollar to cost of every product to fund the cryogenic preservation of Baldr after his eventual death. His presence will be needed a hundred years in the future to solve all the issues with holographic audio.

Jan 10, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #1,639 of 14,566
Mike of course would condemn any law restricting adults from chemically altering their mental state. I suppose Cali has gotten a half turn more free (as of 1/1/2018).

Jan 10, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #1,642 of 14,566

It is quite necessary if you want to take advantage of the common mode noise rejection inherent in a true balanced interface.

Read: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/balanced-phono-stages.136672/page-2

Jan 10, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #1,645 of 14,566
Alright, alright, I hate to be contentious. I want this forum to be as congenial as possible. I am not a censor. The only posts I have deleted on this thread were three which were utterly incomprehensible. I also feel repeatedly regurgitated debates are a waste of not only my time, but the readers as well. I also take seriously my responsibility to make this thread as welcoming, fun, and informative as possible.

I have made statements about balanced circuits, specifically as applied to phono sections. It is not the purpose here to provide EE101 data, but here is my last statement on the matter:

1. ANY balanced active gain stage has 6db more noise than the same stage as single ended. This sucks for phono input stages. Fully balanced input to output circuits are 6db noisier than the single ended equivalent.

2. There are no magnetic cartridges with center tapped coils on the market, period. None, nada. A balanced inductive source has a center tap. Period. In the abscense of a center tap, it is possible to quasi-balance and derive a phantom ground, but is different in the nature of source impedances and available current as a function of frequency.

3. Deccas, some Grados, and many variable reluctance cartridges will NOT work with balanced inputs.

Therefore, there is no reason to use a fully balanced phono section for anything other than a custom wound cartridge of which there are none available to enjoy a 6db increase in noise. Got it?

So, here comes the callout: @watchnerd, I have been stating the above in various posts over the last 3 pages and have received 7, yup 7, refuting posts from you. I don't give a flying phuck about how Steve Hoffman and Vinyl Engine fora posters are giving themselves hand jobs wiring up their noisy, quasi-balanced phono sections with whomever's silver cables with yak spooge cores. There comes a time to just ****, particularly if you have nothing more to say other than making someone else wrong, not just me but anyone else here, for that matter. I hope that you have experiences you can share here which are NOT such denials.

After all, we are here to share our audio nature, NOT to tell others how messed up or wrong they are, or what they really meant to say. It's really hard to have fun and learn in that sort of culture. Some of us may perceive very different sonic realities which are perfectly fine to share, but 7 refuting posts is waaaaaaaaaaay over the top.  Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your support as a client,  but pleeeeeeze let's be nice, OK?

So let's all try to enjoy our mutual hobby and broaden our experience base. Let's make this thread a place to share that, for everyone's (especially mine) benefit. Thanks all of you for being here.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 10, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #1,646 of 14,566
@Baldr, I'm curious as to whether you enjoy working on DACs (or other digital products) or analog products?  

I know you enjoy vinyl a great idea so the question is not centered on playback.  Just circuit design and construction.

Way back (83? mj making it difficult to remember), I worked with an analogue guy who loved to berate the digital guys as not knowing Schiit from Shinola.  Or having their lives be too easy or something.

Where do you fall on that spectrum?

Also, any good recordings/videos of the Marriage of Figaro my daughter and I can study before we commit to seeing it?

Jan 11, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #1,647 of 14,566
  Alright, alright, I hate to be contentious. I want this forum to be as congenial as possible. I am not a censor. The only posts I have deleted on this thread were three which were utterly incomprehensible. I also feel repeatedly regurgitated debates are a waste of not only my time, but the readers as well. I also take seriously my responsibility to make this thread as welcoming, fun, and informative as possible.

I have made statements about balanced circuits, specifically as applied to phono sections. It is not the purpose here to provide EE101 data, but here is my last statement on the matter:

1. ANY balanced active gain stage has 6db more noise than the same stage as single ended. This sucks for phono input stages. Fully balanced input to output circuits are 6db noisier than the single ended equivalent.

2. There are no magnetic cartridges with center tapped coils on the market, period. None, nada. A balanced inductive source has a center tap. Period. In the abscense of a center tap, it is possible to quasi-balance and derive a phantom ground, but is different in the nature of source impedances and available current as a function of frequency.

3. Deccas, some Grados, and many variable reluctance cartridges will NOT work with balanced inputs.

Therefore, there is no reason to use a fully balanced phono section for anything other than a custom wound cartridge of which there are none available to enjoy a 6db increase in noise. Got it?

So, here comes the callout: @watchnerd, I have been stating the above in various posts over the last 3 pages and have received 7, yup 7, refuting posts from you. I don't give a flying phuck about how Steve Hoffman and Vinyl Engine fora posters are giving themselves hand jobs wiring up their noisy, quasi-balanced phono sections with whomever's silver cables with yak spooge cores. There comes a time to just ****, particularly if you have nothing more to say other than making someone else wrong, not just me but anyone else here, for that matter. I hope that you have experiences you can share here which are NOT such denials.

After all, we are here to share our audio nature, NOT to tell others how messed up or wrong they are, or what they really meant to say. It's really hard to have fun and learn in that sort of culture. Some of us may perceive very different sonic realities which are perfectly fine to share, but 7 refuting posts is waaaaaaaaaaay over the top.  Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your support as a client,  but pleeeeeeze let's be nice, OK?

So let's all try to enjoy our mutual hobby and broaden our experience base. Let's make this thread a place to share that, for everyone's (especially mine) benefit. Thanks all of you for being here.

I dont have any real knowledge of quality phono systems as digital is my thing but I thought this response was funny.

Baldr...comments could have run with...I could build this for you but we'd have to file for bankruptcy or I can build it for you as soon as you send in your $100,000 dollar cheque for this one off item. 
biggrin.gif

by the way I noticed that if I get my bifrost 4490 dac to close to my amp the audio quality diminishes. I actually increased the distance between the dac and amp (12 inches) with 1 meter (vs. .5 meter) cables and the sound actually got louder and cleaner. any ideas?

Jan 11, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #1,648 of 14,566
The Giulini Figaro is the classic, though the Erich Kleiber (also a classic tbh), Colin Davis, Karl Bohm, John Eliot Gardiner, Rene Jacobs, and Nikolaus Harnoncourt all produce excellent readings.

Teodor Currentzis recently recorded the opera in Russia, and it's done with such verve that it has to be my current favorite.

Jan 11, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #1,649 of 14,566
 The Giulini Figaro is the classic, though the Erich Kleiber (also a classic tbh), Colin Davis, Karl Bohm, John Eliot Gardiner, Rene Jacobs, and Nikolaus Harnoncourt all produce excellent readings.

Teodor Currentzis recently recorded the opera in Russia, and it's done with such verve that it has to be my current favorite.

I have a soft spot in my heart for Jimmy Levine's/Met/te Kanawa/Upshaw version.  With ladies like that, the men almost don't matter, but they are quite servicable. 

Dawn Upshaw on Gorecki's Third is so moving, it inspires me to keep building audio gear.  It is QC on everything I build.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back