Westone UM3X Thread
Jul 18, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #4,111 of 4,413
I recommend whiplash twag. Maybe it oh so nice

Thanks for your recommendation Teke. I love to try whiplash too someday. Heard a lot about it. But my local store just carry alo silver sxc 24 silver cable and some cable from oyaide. So i might just get either one. Do you have any experince with either of those?

Jul 18, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #4,112 of 4,413
Quote:
Thanks for your recommendation Teke. I love to try whiplash too someday. Heard a lot about it. But my local store just carry alo silver sxc 24 silver cable and some cable from oyaide. So i might just get either one. Do you have any experince with either of those?

sorry I don't, Whiplash were my first custom cables and I stuck with them.  

Jul 18, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #4,113 of 4,413
I also had an whiplash cable and they are wonderful with the um3x

Jul 20, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #4,114 of 4,413
Quote:
Just bought a Fiio silver cable for my UM3X, after my rabbit managed to get ahold of the stock cable (I knew buying the RC version would save my butt). At $40 shipped, I wasn't really expecting much.

Plugged it in today, and although it's slightly thicker and more microphonic, it opened up the sound considerably. I'll post some more impressions once I do some more listening (or "burn in," if you believe in that sort of thing), but it's so cheap, everyone ought to give it a try.

Thanks for the recommendation! I ordered the same cable from mp4nation.This sound is more detailed and is definitely brighter..... not bad for 29$

I have been reading a lot about cables - it is somewhat confusing... can anyone recommend a sub 200$ cable for the is iem? I prefer punchy bass but with good soundstage and highs still present

Does a twcu cable enhance 3D soundstage? Bare with me I am n00b...

Jul 23, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #4,116 of 4,413
Quote:

wrong forum
redface.gif

Jul 26, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #4,117 of 4,413
I just received my ALO SXC24 cable for my UM3x. Unfortunately. the rubber pin did not fit into the socket of the shell (its bigger). So i need to cut it gently to make it smaller square shape to go in..now the cable fit very nicely and tight. I would say this cable is very good. So much improvements i did notice right away. Especially with the highs. It extends quite well and very smooth, without reducing the thickness of the sound which i like. And for the clarity, its quite surprising. I would say, now my UM3X is on par with my W4R in term of clarity. Sound details also improved quite significant. 

Aug 20, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #4,118 of 4,413
Could anyone compare these to the 3.Ai?  I'm finding the 3.Ai's treble to be harsh and sharp — painful, even.  Also, the quality of the bass is nice but I could use more quantity.  Most of that is me not being able to turn up to a suitable volume because of those offensive highs.

I've heard the UM3X's highs described as "dull" so I want to make sure I'm not heading too strongly in the opposite direction!

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #4,119 of 4,413
The highs on the UM3X are definitely not "dull" in a bad way. Most reviews state that the treble is "dull", which is sort of a polite way of saying if you like bright and sparkly treble then its not the IEM for you. You can hear the treble for sure on the UM3X, but its definitely far from sparkly rather its more laid back in that regard.

Sep 6, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #4,120 of 4,413
It has been mentioned many times but  it is noteworthy...I just bought more startips as I had one that was loose on the stem and man do they make a difference.

Oct 12, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #4,122 of 4,413
I've just bought my first pair of um3x and I think I'm falling in love :)

There's just one problem - the cable. The first few cm are wrapped round a memory metal strip, which is having two effects - first, inserting them is seriously annoying as the memory metal is getting in the way, and second, as I wear glasses, I'm getting a lot of microphony (sp?) where the stiff cables are rubbing on the arms of my specs.

I really don't want to/can't afford to replace the cables, so is there a safe and painless way of removing the memory metal?

Oct 14, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #4,123 of 4,413
A razor blade, care, and patience.
I've just bought my first pair of um3x and I think I'm falling in love :)

There's just one problem - the cable. The first few cm are wrapped round a memory metal strip, which is having two effects - first, inserting them is seriously annoying as the memory metal is getting in the way, and second, as I wear glasses, I'm getting a lot of microphony (sp?) where the stiff cables are rubbing on the arms of my specs.

I really don't want to/can't afford to replace the cables, so is there a safe and painless way of removing the memory metal?

Oct 17, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #4,124 of 4,413
I think I posted Fiio's cable offering in this thread. It's surprisingly good for $40, although it's a bit more microphonic than the stock cable. No memory wire either.

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #4,125 of 4,413
Just go the start kit for the Westone Star Tips. Anyone have any suggestions for what tip size to use? I generally use medium Shure olives and I tried the orange tipped silicone tips and it was interesting getting a fit with them. They provided a great seal but it also felt like the earphone pieces were sticking out of my ear more than usual. Also is there any suggested method to insert silicone tips? I've never really used them and am used to rolling my foam tips. I just mashed these in until it felt like I got a good seal.

Are the foam star tips any good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back