Westone UM3X Thread
May 2, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #3,856 of 4,413
Does anybody produce an iPhone cable (with mic and control buttons) that can be used with an UM3x RC ?

May 6, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #3,857 of 4,413
Quote:
Does anybody produce an iPhone cable (with mic and control buttons) that can be used with an UM3x RC ?

I think you can use a TF10 Pro vi cable but the pins might be longer than the Westone pins.  I haven't tried this.  You could also email Westone and see if the have a mic cable ready yet.

May 17, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #3,858 of 4,413
Just ordered my UM3X IEMs today. I can't wait. I just hope that they are as good as I hope they will be!

May 18, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #3,859 of 4,413
So ive decided on a set of um3x. Do I go the standard cable or spend the extra on the RC?

I read there's no difference in terms of SQ. But does RC have any problems, connections becoming loose etc etc?

May 18, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #3,860 of 4,413
Quote:
So ive decided on a set of um3x. Do I go the standard cable or spend the extra on the RC?

I read there's no difference in terms of SQ. But does RC have any problems, connections becoming loose etc etc?

I haven't had any issues with the RC version.  I can use my UM3X RC with my balanced SR-71b amp, which performs better balanced than with the same amp via 1/8" headphone jack.  That's the main reason I like the RC feature.

May 30, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #3,865 of 4,413
Got my second pair of these on the way. I'm looking at the JDS Labs C421 (leaning towards the AD8620 opamps); does anyone have experience with this combo? I'd be using it with my iPod (5.5g) and iPhone 4 via LOD.

Jun 7, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #3,866 of 4,413
I have my pair for about 2 weeks and it took some time to fully appreciate the sound signature.

As one hf'er stated, um3x has the wonderful mids of the RE262 with good quantity bass.

The separation of the instruments is one of the attributes that makes these phones interesting.

When I go back to listening to the FX700's, the mids seem so distant.

Jun 8, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #3,867 of 4,413
Quote:
I have my pair for about 2 weeks and it took some time to fully appreciate the sound signature.

As one hf'er stated, um3x has the wonderful mids of the RE262 with good quantity bass.

The separation of the instruments is one of the attributes that makes these phones interesting.

When I go back to listening to the FX700's, the mids seem so distant.

Dunno if it was just me but did you absolutely hate it the first time you heard it? I hated it with its neutral sound but i ended up loving them a lot :D 

I also like how you can be a bit reckless with the cord and not have to worry about it breaking :)

Jun 8, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #3,868 of 4,413
The same.

Coming from a Westone 3, I soon realized the lack of soundstage and bass in the UM3X.

Some time later, tired of W3, I decided to retest the UM3X and I was madly in love with this headphone.

This is a marvel that needs some time to getting used to.

Cheers,

Peter

Quote:
Dunno if it was just me but did you absolutely hate it the first time you heard it? I hated it with its neutral sound but i ended up loving them a lot :D 

I also like how you can be a bit reckless with the cord and not have to worry about it breaking :)

Jun 8, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #3,869 of 4,413
Quote:
The same.

Coming from a Westone 3, I soon realized the lack of soundstage and bass in the UM3X.

Some time later, tired of W3, I decided to retest the UM3X and I was madly in love with this headphone.

This is a marvel that needs some time to getting used to.

That's funny, for me, coming from a pair of Etys I immediately fell in love with it. 

On a side note, I'm not sure why people complain about the lack of soundstage in the UM3X. It's deliberately designed that way - when a musician is onstage, they want to be able to hear themselves, not have to search for their own voice. The intimate presentation is also a bonus for me as a listener too, at least.

Jun 8, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #3,870 of 4,413
Dear guhmo,

coming from an Ety, the transition is simpler, since they are sort of cousins​​. Think of a UM3X as the evolution of Ety ER4S, since both share the same "sound orientation". I hope you understand what I mean...

As the soundstage, the UM3X has no problem. It represents EXACTLY what has been recorded, without adding fake ambient space in the music.

Awesome piece of engineering, in the end.

Cheers,

Peter

Quote:
That's funny, for me, coming from a pair of Etys I immediately fell in love with it. 

On a side note, I'm not sure why people complain about the lack of soundstage in the UM3X. It's deliberately designed that way - when a musician is onstage, they want to be able to hear themselves, not have to search for their own voice. The intimate presentation is also a bonus for me as a listener too, at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back