Westone UM3X Thread
Apr 5, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #3,828 of 4,413
i made a modded hybrid before, cutting the fcomply tip's core.. there was a significant change on the SQ, the highs on the um3x became lively but i think it had more prominent sibilance with "sss" which i think is the track/recording's fault and my library is mostly ALAC..

my preference was the large stock complys.. i hear all the details very clearly and it eats the sibilance (though it's still there but tolerable) and eats some of the spark it had..

i felt that my right ear is kinda vented
redface.gif
on the um3x but on the w4r it's lesser because of the bigger or tubby housing that I push further on my right

Apr 9, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #3,829 of 4,413
The size of the nozzle has a lot to do with the size of the soundstage in a headphone. The short nozzle makes a smooth insertion by allowing outside sounds to interact with the sound of the headphone, bringing aeration and incrementing the size of soundstage in the overall sound.

Quote:
Interesting. I like the longer nozzles of the UM series better. It's easier for me to get a better fit. With single flange tips on either series, I have to use a large tip on the right and a medium on the left.

Apr 9, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #3,830 of 4,413
Since these are sealed BA housings, I've not found letting ambient noise in, through a looser fit, have any direct correlation to soundstaging. Instead dynamics and midrange placement have more impact on soundstage for me. Dynamics affecting depth and midrange placement affecting both width and closeness.

Apr 10, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #3,831 of 4,413
Any chance of sharing what frequencies you boosted and by how much (and what band/Q-value?)  I keep trying to EQ my various 'phones, but it's pot luck as to whether I manage to boost/cut the bits that I mean to without making other sounds/freqs sound unnatural.

Quote:
Probably. Not that they sound perfect for me without EQing, but they just require a small touch up in the treble so these can shine.

Apr 15, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #3,832 of 4,413
Hey does anyone know how to test the fit of these earphones? I recently have been switching between these and my vmoda m-80s and with nothing playing, I find the m-80s are just as isolating as the UM3x (maybe even a little more?). I have to play it at a significant volume before I can start blocking out outside noise. 

I was told that these are super isolating though and should vastly outperform the vmoda's which are poor isolators... Is there a way to know exactly how well these are fitting and most importantly, if it isn't properly sealed, does that mean I am getting significantly inferior SQ or is it just a difference in isolation? I am kind of paranoid now that they are not sealing properly and have no idea how to test for it.

I am not so worried about isolation as I know others cannot hear me, which is what is most important since I work in quiet environments. 

Apr 16, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #3,833 of 4,413
Would the UM3X be better than the Sennheiser IE 80 for my music? I listen to Rock, Classical (more on Pianos), Pop (not today's pop styles) and Blues.

Apr 16, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #3,834 of 4,413

Quote:
Would the UM3X be better than the Sennheiser IE 80 for my music? I listen to Rock, Classical (more on Pianos), Pop (not today's pop styles) and Blues.

Honestly it's not about music style but more what presentation you prefer.

UM3X are about detail/separation with an intimate soundstage.
IE80 are all about soundstage (cathedral-like, but less detail, less separation).

Very different in the end.
I prefer UM3X by far but this is just me, others may prefer IE80.

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #3,836 of 4,413

if you want more focus on the pianoes, electric guitars etc.
and want to feel the intimacy and emotion on vocals.. um3x

if you want a natural and coherent presentation
ie80

you may also want to consider isolation so it will be um3x still

Apr 19, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #3,837 of 4,413
Yay, just got a um3x, I can now join this thread :D

Can you guys help me though, I need an amp for these to pair with my ipod classic. I got a budget of around £100

I have found the UM3X to be really bland with some songs which is why I want an amp to add some personality to the sound. Any reccomendations?

Apr 19, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #3,838 of 4,413
I found the FiiO E11 on high gain with no bass boost and a LOD to be a great combination with the iPhone and UM3X. The E5 and E6 are okay with it but definitely not stellar. You can get the E11 and an LOD for about USD$65 right now which I believe is about 40GBP.

Apr 19, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #3,839 of 4,413

Quote:
I found the FiiO E11 on high gain with no bass boost and a LOD to be a great combination with the iPhone and UM3X. The E5 and E6 are okay with it but definitely not stellar. You can get the E11 and an LOD for about USD$65 right now which I believe is about 40GBP.

Cheers, didn't really consider the E11, I was looking at either the E7 or E17 but I can't seem to find a comparison between the models

Apr 19, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #3,840 of 4,413

Quote:

Cheers, didn't really consider the E11, I was looking at either the E7 or E17 but I can't seem to find a comparison between the models

The E7 vs E11 most likely won't be much of a difference, as the E7 won't override your iPod's DAC like it would with a computer source.  I've heard the E17 is a huge improvement though; you'll still be using your iPod's onboard DAC but from what I understand the E17 really improves the sound tremendously.  Not 100% on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back