Westone UM3X Thread
Jul 24, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #3,886 of 4,413
I'm considering buying these Chinese Shure knock off olive tips for my UM3X phones. Are there any cons related to using knock off tips?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pairs-Round-Earbuds-tips-replacement-shure-e4c-e5c-e3c-e4g-headphones-/170858746870?clk_rvr_id=367766710609&mfe=sidebar

Thank You,

Milan

Jul 24, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #3,887 of 4,413
Quote:
I'm considering buying these Chinese Shure knock off olive tips for my UM3X phones. Are there any cons related to using knock off tips?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pairs-Round-Earbuds-tips-replacement-shure-e4c-e5c-e3c-e4g-headphones-/170858746870?clk_rvr_id=367766710609&mfe=sidebar

Thank You,

Milan

no just make sure you wash off the vile flesh eating chemical mold release they use
eek.gif

Jul 24, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #3,889 of 4,413
I have both the Earsonics SM3 V2's and the UM3X RC's. After listening to each for a couple hours, I highly preferred the SM3s as they sounded much cleaner and had better clarity overall. However, my UM3X's sounded very muddy for some reason. I am using the stock comply tips for the UM3X's and stock double flanges for the SM3s. Could the comply's be at fault? If so, which tip do you guys think works best with the UM3X?

Jul 24, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #3,890 of 4,413
Quote:
I have both the Earsonics SM3 V2's and the UM3X RC's. After listening to each for a couple hours, I highly preferred the SM3s as they sounded much cleaner and had better clarity overall. However, my UM3X's sounded very muddy for some reason. I am using the stock comply tips for the UM3X's and stock double flanges for the SM3s. Could the comply's be at fault? If so, which tip do you guys think works best with the UM3X?

yup, try the gray mushroom tips, they did it for me!

Jul 25, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #3,891 of 4,413
Quote:

Quote:
yup, try the gray mushroom tips, they did it for me!

Yeah, I have a feeling the stock Complys are the reason that many people dislike the UM3X. Use the silicone tips (even the biflanges from the SM3) or Shure Olives. It really opens up the treble and tightens the bass.

Jul 25, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #3,892 of 4,413
Quote:

Yeah, I have a feeling the stock Complys are the reason that many people dislike the UM3X. Use the silicone tips (even the biflanges from the SM3) or Shure Olives. It really opens up the treble and tightens the bass.

Wow, thanks for the awesome tip! I just pulled out the replacement set of bi-flanges that came with my SM3's and the UM3X's sound MUCH MUCH better! Sounds very identical to the SM3s now...although I can tell there are differences. Will need to test them both again thoroughly! Thanks again!

Jul 25, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #3,893 of 4,413
Quote:

Wow, thanks for the awesome tip! I just pulled out the replacement set of bi-flanges that came with my SM3's and the UM3X's sound MUCH MUCH better! Sounds very identical to the SM3s now...although I can tell there are differences. Will need to test them both again thoroughly! Thanks again!

The first time I owned the UM3X, it only came with the Complys. I sold it thinking that the recessed treble was part of the sound signature. Very glad I decided to give them another try.

Jul 25, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #3,894 of 4,413
Quote:

Foam is probably the culprit. I preferred the UM3x over the SM3 V1 olives/olives due to fit and overall signature. That said, I prefer the V2's removable cable and sound with the dual flanges. Foam attenuates treble for me due to my narrow ear canals, but is great for isolation. Try the Westones without foam to be fair 

Jul 25, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #3,895 of 4,413
Quote:
Foam is probably the culprit. I preferred the UM3x over the SM3 V1 olives/olives due to fit and overall signature. That said, I prefer the V2's removable cable and sound with the dual flanges. Foam attenuates treble for me due to my narrow ear canals, but is great for isolation. Try the Westones without foam to be fair 

Does anybody know where I can purchase the Shure Olives? I did a google search but came up with various Shure tips.

Jul 25, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #3,897 of 4,413
Quote:

Yes, the whole Shure Olives things confused me for years.  I was expecting to see some green tips.  Until some long unused brain cells turned on one day and let me in on the secret that olives come in different colors including black, like Kalamata. 
biggrin.gif

Hey maybe we should start calling them Shure Kalamatas! 

Jul 26, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #3,898 of 4,413
These are the Shure Olives: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shure-EASFX1-10M-Medium-Med-Flex-Sleeves-5-pr-/200791045432

Best deal I have seen for 5 pairs of official Shure olives.
I plan to buy a box soon.

Milan

Jul 26, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #3,899 of 4,413
Quote:
These are the Shure Olives: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shure-EASFX1-10M-Medium-Med-Flex-Sleeves-5-pr-/200791045432

Best deal I have seen for 5 pairs of official Shure olives.
I plan to buy a box soon.

Milan

Semantics, Shurmantics, see how we get confused!

Black olives vs Shure flex.

Here is a good pictoral primer on the differences.  Scroll down to second set of pics:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/304963/fyi-various-iems-tips-pictorial-comparison-updated-sept-29th-2011

What you have in your post seem to be the Shure Flex which are very similar to the Westone mushroom tips.  Wonder why all the food names?

And to think this is the meat of my 1000 post, meh.

Jul 26, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #3,900 of 4,413
Quote:
Semantics, Shurmantics, see how we get confused!

Black olives vs Shure flex.

Here is a good pictoral primer on the differences.  Scroll down to second set of pics:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/304963/fyi-various-iems-tips-pictorial-comparison-updated-sept-29th-2011

What you have in your post seem to be the Shure Flex which are very similar to the Westone mushroom tips.  Wonder why all the food names?

And to think this is the meat of my 1000 post, meh.

Thank you for the clarification!
To me the "mushrooms" looked like olives, so I thought they were in fact olive tips.
However, after viewing the photo in the tip thread, it's very obvious that the olive tips are very different.
Personally, I am happy with the Westone Mushroom tips, and still plan to buy the Shure Flex sleeves.
Although, it would not hurt for me to experiment with the different sleeves included with the UM3X before buying.

Milan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back