Westone UM3X Thread
Sep 16, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #3,271 of 4,413
@music_4321, you should try calling into Westone and see if they can provide you with an explaination.  I assume they are swarm from the recall to the UM3X and UM2 with removable cable because I noticed they are slow at replying; nonetheless, they are very helpful when they get a chance to get around to it. 

Sep 16, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #3,272 of 4,413
After enjoying the UM1 for a good while I decided to treat myself to the UM3X and enjoy the benefit of a couple of extra drivers
smily_headphones1.gif
. I also felt the UM1 was a bit lacking in the bass department when compared to my full sized portable (the HD 25-1) so hopefully the 3X will plug that gap while giving me greater portability (and I'll look like less of a dork without the HD 25-1 on my head when walking through town! (I think headphone looks good on a lot of people but there must be something about the shape of my head...).

I've also ordered the Meier Audio CORDA STEPDANCE to help them reach their full potential (I've been driving my phones straight out of my iphone 4 up till now). I'm excited to hear what improvement this combination brings and I'll post my impressions in due course!

Sep 16, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #3,273 of 4,413
OK - so next-to-last final post on my personal SE535 v UM3X experience.  As bg, I'm a musician and singer, and also work in sound reinforcement for a mid-size church.  I'm also a music lover with Ella Fitzgerald and Miles Davis on my iPod to Bruno's little release, Red Hot Chili's, Santana, Latin Electronica.... and even one London Symphony's Carmina Burana.  Oh yeah - and gospel contemporary and black gospel.  Pretty much all over.

So first ever high-end IEM's was 535's.  WOW!  Incredibly impressed.  Read music_4321's endorsement of the UM3X's and ordered them for comparison, intending to keep whichever IEM worked best for me.  UM3X they shipped me had a defective left monitor.  Sent it back.  Also in that time I bent the 535 nozzle trying to change the tip.  So I had to send that back as well for replacement.  (btw: earphonesolutions.com has been excellent in working to help me.).

Got the 535's back and sound was still amazing.  Though I did find I needed to play with the EQ settings to boost the low-end, I was still amazed at the clarity, detail, separation and presence in my head of the sound.

Got the UM3X's back and man, the bass was just everywhere.  All in the voices, in high-end instruments, there was a general low-mid emphasis on everything that was not a good thing.  But definitely more bass overall - thumped in my ears.  
smily_headphones1.gif
 So I decided to keep the 535's.

But freakin' music_4321's post and endorsement kept bugging me.  
smily_headphones1.gif
 So I ordered a THIRD pair of UM3X's and guess what: they're different.  They're very nice.  Lots of low-end with none of the low-mid intrusion that bugged me.  Now I truly have a 535 competitor.

>>>

So two points: First, to have gotten TWO bad (one defective, one with low-mid intrusion) sets from Westone is kind of weird?  I know they're a great company, etc.  I guess I was just really unlucky - but there is a very noticeable difference in this 3rd set and the 2nd set.

Secondly, I'm really digging these.  There is so much low-end presence.  Very nice.  And that's with the EQ left 'off' on my iPhone4.  Maybe not quite the sparkle of the 535.  Definitely a different sound signature.

>>>

So a big thanks to music_4321.  I love these.  You were SO convinced in the quality of these that I had to give 'em one last try.

And now on to listening to my library again with these and the 535's.  Lots of comparison, A/B'ing.  In a while, I'll let you know which way I go and maybe see if I can sell the other set here on the forum.

Cheers,
Jared

Quote:
^^ Re: the cable, looks are deceptive and the Westone cable (or the like) is the standard used by professional musicians. It's much stronger than you think, though it doesn't look it. Other advantages are the complete lack of microphonics and total flexibility. Yes, the SE535 cable looks stunning by comparison and seems much stronger, but I found it too stiff and often 'getting in the way'.

As for SQ, perhaps in the end the UM3X is not for you. My advice, however, is to give them a little time. I was personally not wowed at first, and also felt (having come from the brighter sounding Westone 3) that something was missing. However, after half an hour or so I gradually began to appreciate it's treble, fantastic mids and tight bass. I then regarded the UM3X treble as quite remarkable.

One great aspect, in my view, is the absolutely non-listening fatigue when using the UM3X - I can easily go on for hours at a time with them. With the W3 & SE535, because of their more prominent treble (and bass on the W3), my ears soon had enough. I also soon discovered with the UM3X that all the detail in the high-end was really there, just not 'piercing' through my ears. When I had my iPod Classic on a couple of albums - eg Animals by Pink Floyd - I used the acoustic setting.

But, like I said, perhaps they're not your cup of tea in the end.

Sep 17, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #3,274 of 4,413

Quote:
@music_4321, you should try calling into Westone and see if they can provide you with an explanation.  I assume they are swarm from the recall to the UM3X and UM2 with removable cable because I noticed they are slow at replying; nonetheless, they are very helpful when they get a chance to get around to it. 

I have spoken to Westone a few times before (I live in Europe) wen dealing with my customs. This time I did get a reply the same day I sent my second email on Tuesday (now it's Friday morning in Europe).  

I wasn't happy about the fact I was told they'd only received my UM3X that day when, in fact, they had got them 4 days earlier. Also, they said they'd ship at most on Wednesday and I'd be getting a tracking number - I specifically asked them to provide me with the tracking number as I'm not normally home when FedEx turn up but at least I have confirmation a replacement has been sent, and also a pretty accurate idea of when item will be delivered.

This brings back some not very pleasant memories from last year when I bought my customs and I needed 3 refits, which meant 4 different sets were shipped and on 3 occasions (!!) there were errors from their end when shipping (loooong story), but this caused delays and lots of frustration. More frustration even when I would insist after their first mistake on providing accurate & complete information to FedEx, and yet they made similar mistakes twice after that.

This time I've mentioned it 3 times, on 2 emails and in the enclosed letter. Unfortunately, my first UM3X set from last year, part of the first batch, also had to be sent back - similar problem to the one reported this time round. With my Westone 3 there were cable issues and that was also sorted eventually. So, there have been different types of issues with ALL 4 items I've bought from them.

Yesterday (Thursday in the US, now it's 7.50 AM  Friday here) I sent yet another email early (US time) and never got a reply all day either.

Good CS is great but there is a limit to how many apologies or excuses one can accept before one's had enough. A little less 'friendliness' ("Thank you and have a wonderful day!") and a little more efficiency would be a lot more appreciated.

Sep 17, 2010 at 8:35 AM Post #3,275 of 4,413

Quote:
OK - so next-to-last final post on my personal SE535 v UM3X experience.  As bg, I'm a musician and singer, and also work in sound reinforcement for a mid-size church.  I'm also a music lover with Ella Fitzgerald and Miles Davis on my iPod to Bruno's little release, Red Hot Chili's, Santana, Latin Electronica.... and even one London Symphony's Carmina Burana.  Oh yeah - and gospel contemporary and black gospel.  Pretty much all over.

So first ever high-end IEM's was 535's.  WOW!  Incredibly impressed.  Read music_4321's endorsement of the UM3X's and ordered them for comparison, intending to keep whichever IEM worked best for me.  UM3X they shipped me had a defective left monitor.  Sent it back.  Also in that time I bent the 535 nozzle trying to change the tip.  So I had to send that back as well for replacement.  (btw: earphonesolutions.com has been excellent in working to help me.).

Got the 535's back and sound was still amazing.  Though I did find I needed to play with the EQ settings to boost the low-end, I was still amazed at the clarity, detail, separation and presence in my head of the sound.

Got the UM3X's back and man, the bass was just everywhere.  All in the voices, in high-end instruments, there was a general low-mid emphasis on everything that was not a good thing.  But definitely more bass overall - thumped in my ears.  
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />  So I decided to keep the 535's.

But freakin' music_4321's post and endorsement kept bugging me.  
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />  So I ordered a THIRD pair of UM3X's and guess what: they're different.  They're very nice.  Lots of low-end with none of the low-mid intrusion that bugged me.  Now I truly have a 535 competitor.

>>>

So two points: First, to have gotten TWO bad (one defective, one with low-mid intrusion) sets from Westone is kind of weird?  I know they're a great company, etc.  I guess I was just really unlucky - but there is a very noticeable difference in this 3rd set and the 2nd set.

Secondly, I'm really digging these.  There is so much low-end presence.  Very nice.  And that's with the EQ left 'off' on my iPhone4.  Maybe not quite the sparkle of the 535.  Definitely a different sound signature.

>>>

So a big thanks to music_4321.  I love these.  You were SO convinced in the quality of these that I had to give 'em one last try.

And now on to listening to my library again with these and the 535's.  Lots of comparison, A/B'ing.  In a while, I'll let you know which way I go and maybe see if I can sell the other set here on the forum.

Cheers,
Jared

jaredalv,

Thanks for your comments & impressions - glad you seem to have finally found that 'magic' sound on a fully working pair of UM3Xs that I (and others) have been talking about.

And yes, keep those impressions coming!

Sep 17, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #3,276 of 4,413
Just sent my Westone UM3X w/ removable cables back to Westone for direct replacement after experiencing the rattle problem.  Their support was incredibly helpful and kind -- top notch.  

Will report back when I received the new ones (going to have to burn them again, argh).

Sep 17, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #3,277 of 4,413

Quote:
I have spoken to Westone a few times before (I live in Europe) wen dealing with my customs. This time I did get a reply the same day I sent my second email on Tuesday (now it's Friday morning in Europe).  

I wasn't happy about the fact I was told they'd only received my UM3X that day when, in fact, they had got them 4 days earlier. Also, they said they'd ship at most on Wednesday and I'd be getting a tracking number - I specifically asked them to provide me with the tracking number as I'm not normally home when FedEx turn up but at least I have confirmation a replacement has been sent, and also a pretty accurate idea of when item will be delivered.

This brings back some not very pleasant memories from last year when I bought my customs and I needed 3 refits, which meant 4 different sets were shipped and on 3 occasions (!!) there were errors from their end when shipping (loooong story), but this caused delays and lots of frustration. More frustration even when I would insist after their first mistake on providing accurate & complete information to FedEx, and yet they made similar mistakes twice after that.

This time I've mentioned it 3 times, on 2 emails and in the enclosed letter. Unfortunately, my first UM3X set from last year, part of the first batch, also had to be sent back - similar problem to the one reported this time round. With my Westone 3 there were cable issues and that was also sorted eventually. So, there have been different types of issues with ALL 4 items I've bought from them.

Yesterday (Thursday in the US, now it's 7.50 AM  Friday here) I sent yet another email early (US time) and never got a reply all day either.

Good CS is great but there is a limit to how many apologies or excuses one can accept before one's had enough. A little less 'friendliness' ("Thank you and have a wonderful day!") and a little more efficiency would be a lot more appreciated.

Update:

Been on the phone to Westone earlier this evening (in Europe, midday in Colorado). They apologised for the lack of communication and also gave me a FedEx tracking number. Turns out my replacement was indeed shipped 3 days ago! The only thing is they seem to have chosen a slightly slower & cheaper shipping method (otherwise it'd have been here today), but that's fine as this is still faster & safer than ordinary international post.

Glad to learn that they did ship replacement when they said they would. If only they'd have let me know then or the day after...still it's only fair to say Westone is a very good company that makes very good products.

EDIT: Re: FedEx shipping from Europe it's "International Priority Service" (48 hrs) when sending the UM3X to Westone, but "International Economy" (5 days) when shipping replacement. Still, very reasonable shipping times.

Sep 18, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #3,278 of 4,413

Quote:
You need either a new improved soundcard, or external DAC/amp.  On a tight budget I would get the Nuforce uDAC-2 24/96 USB DAC/amp and be done with it.  It sounds wonderful with my UM3X, and all my other IEM as well.

thanks for the advice, looking in to external DAC right now. I wonder if uDAC is good enough for UM3x though. Would a higher end Dac improve the sound much?

Sep 18, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #3,279 of 4,413

Quote:
thanks for the advice, looking in to external DAC right now. I wonder if uDAC is good enough for UM3x though. Would a higher end Dac improve the sound much?

The uDAC-2 sounds better with the UM3X than the original uDAC, which is a little more forward sounding than the uDAC-2.  It's headphone amp performs fairly close to my more expensive $200-$400 DAC/amps, with just slightly less detail and ambience but not a huge difference.  

I just switched to the uDAC-2 after listening to the Pico DAC > balanced RSA Protector for an hour and there is not a big drop in sound quality, which makes me wonder why I have $800 tied up in the Pico/Protector in the first place.  There is only a small decrease in micro-detail and separation when I drop down to the uDAC-2, but it now seems a little smoother, and slightly warmer and richer sounding now.  I suppose ultimately the Pico DAC > Protector is a little more transparent and the IEM disappear better, but by God, for $800 it better have some improvement.  It's clear that doubling the cost does not double the sound quality.  And sometimes increasing the cost doesn't always mean it's better.  

You should always read up on what gear people say has good synergy with the UM3X.  The Nuforce Icon Mobile might be better with IE8 or W3 for example, but it wont be a good choice with UM3X or W2, even though it's from the same company.  I'm sure if I stress my brain cells a bit I can precisely detail all the areas where my $800 rig is better, but in terms of how much enjoyment I am getting out of the lesser rig, it's not much less at all.

Sep 18, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #3,280 of 4,413

Quote:
The uDAC-2 sounds better with the UM3X than the original uDAC, which is a little more forward sounding than the uDAC-2.  It's headphone amp performs fairly close to my more expensive $200-$400 DAC/amps, with just slightly less detail and ambience but not a huge difference.  

I just switched to the uDAC-2 after listening to the Pico DAC > balanced RSA Protector for an hour and there is not a big drop in sound quality, which makes me wonder why I have $800 tied up in the Pico/Protector in the first place.  There is only a small decrease in micro-detail and separation when I drop down to the uDAC-2, but it now seems a little smoother, and slightly warmer and richer sounding now.  I suppose ultimately the Pico DAC > Protector is a little more transparent and the IEM disappear better, but by God, for $800 it better have some improvement.  It's clear that doubling the cost does not double the sound quality.  And sometimes increasing the cost doesn't always mean it's better.  

You should always read up on what gear people say has good synergy with the UM3X.  The Nuforce Icon Mobile might be better with IE8 or W3 for example, but it wont be a good choice with UM3X or W2, even though it's from the same company.  I'm sure if I stress my brain cells a bit I can precisely detail all the areas where my $800 rig is better, but in terms of how much enjoyment I am getting out of the lesser rig, it's not much less at all.

Thanks for the detailed answer. That gives me a better sense of what to search in headfi forum. I will probably look at dac between $100-$300 that has good synergy with my gears. I dont think I need an amp since UM3x is so easy to drive. 

Sep 19, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #3,281 of 4,413
I am wondering if the iBasso Toucan has any synergy with the UM3X, particularly in balanced mode. I asked a fellow headfier about the possibility of terminating to Hirose plug but he replied it may not really be beneficial since UM3X is already a very efficient IEM. Does anyone have this combo to share your opinion?

Sep 19, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #3,282 of 4,413

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed answer. That gives me a better sense of what to search in headfi forum. I will probably look at dac between $100-$300 that has good synergy with my gears. I dont think I need an amp since UM3x is so easy to drive. 

Well, technically you wont be driving the UM3X directly from a DAC - there will some kind of headphone amp involved if you are plugging them into a headphone jack.  They just don't need a lot of power or a big amp.

Sep 20, 2010 at 7:29 AM Post #3,283 of 4,413

Quote:
Update:

Been on the phone to Westone earlier this evening (in Europe, midday in Colorado). They apologised for the lack of communication and also gave me a FedEx tracking number. Turns out my replacement was indeed shipped 3 days ago! The only thing is they seem to have chosen a slightly slower & cheaper shipping method (otherwise it'd have been here today), but that's fine as this is still faster & safer than ordinary international post.

Glad to learn that they did ship replacement when they said they would. If only they'd have let me know then or the day after...still it's only fair to say Westone is a very good company that makes very good products.

EDIT: Re: FedEx shipping from Europe it's "International Priority Service" (48 hrs) when sending the UM3X to Westone, but "International Economy" (5 days) when shipping replacement. Still, very reasonable shipping times.

Update:

I have just received a brand new replacement, BUT they sent a UM2 set and NOT a UM3X pair!!

After nearly half an hour on the phone last Friday (long-distance call) and now this, I am VERY upset, to say the least. This is one more in a long list of errors made by Westone. To say I'm unlucky, at this stage, is an understatement.

Sep 21, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #3,284 of 4,413
Further update:

My UM3X replacement was sent yesterday, using the faster (48-hr) "International Priority" service. Also, I was told I could keep the UM2 "for the trouble and inconvenience".

I guess I can say that Westone has done the right thing this time after a long chain of unfortunate events.

Sep 21, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #3,285 of 4,413

Quote:
Further update:

My UM3X replacement was sent yesterday, using the faster (48-hr) "International Priority" service. Also, I was told I could keep the UM2 "for the trouble and inconvenience".

I guess I can say that Westone has done the right thing this time after a long chain of unfortunate events.

I sent my replacement last week and sent them an email on Friday. Yet, there's still no reply regarding my UM3X till now. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back