Westone UM3X Thread
Sep 6, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #3,241 of 4,413

Quote:
The UM3Xs are definitely not neutral. Sadly I thought this too when I got them. 

natural and neutral are 2 different thing. RE0 might be neutral but it's definitely not natural.

Sep 6, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #3,242 of 4,413
I'd just like to say that this is still my favorite IEM as far as the overall package goes. It is both comfortable and sounds great. Soundstage is probably my only complain about those besides the price tag.

Sep 7, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #3,244 of 4,413

Which Ety model are you referring to?  My HF5s are not overly bright but really well balanced, the sound is the complete opposite of fatiguing and the bass is there where I want it.  Musicality-wise, they impress me more than the SM3s, due perhaps to the smaller, less inyourface presentation allowing you to hear the whole recording in one go easier.  Kinda  like the difference between seeing a Rothko painting close up and admiring all the many layers of similar colour, then standing back and being overwhelmed by the whole piece.

Are there any Ety HF2/5 or even ER4 owners who switched to the UM3X and can you describe your impressions?  Not that I'm tempted to splash the cash at this stage, but am keeping one eye open.
Quote:

The Um3X are natural and musical.  Ety's ................not so much!  Bright, fatiguing, and no bass, but detail freaks luv em!

Sep 7, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #3,245 of 4,413
Benny,
I've not heard the UM3X myself, but from what I read, they have the same kind of "in the face" presentation as the SM3.
By the way, I know what you mean, I have the same feeling when I go back to my RE-252 (coming from the SM3). However, I'm really liking both, so I don't think I'll part with either one.

Sep 7, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #3,246 of 4,413

Quote:

Are there any Ety HF2/5 or even ER4 owners who switched to the UM3X and can you describe your impressions?  Not that I'm tempted to splash the cash at this stage, but am keeping one eye open.

Well I switched directly from the Um3X to the ER4s so I guess I can chime in....

Overall the presentation was a little stepped back, I wouldn't call the UM3Xs "in your face" but instead very true to the actual placement of the microphones that were used to record. The soundstage isn't as artificially changed as it is in most other phones, it gives you what was recorded.

But the detail.... was there; there was better instrument separation with the UM3Xs... and better detail; granted the signature wasn't treble happy like the ER4s are, you had to listen for the detail but it was there.

The bass was a lot more powerful too; a little bit over neutral but it was there and didn't bleed into the other frequencies; it, along with the mids, and treble, were each separate.
I remember reading a post that someone said last year about the UM3Xs giving you all the parts of the music instead of the whole thing; and I could agree with them. I had less emotional experiences with the UM3Xs although I loved them to death; most of my listening was done analyzing the sound, which, again, was what the UM3Xs were DESIGNED to do since they are stage monitors. 

The mids were lovely and gave acoustic guitars a nice sound; granted I'm going from memory here from over 3 months but I listened to these phones day in and day out. 

Both are great, I don't think you would need to own both at one time though. The UM3Xs are better for a wider range of music... and personally I liked them more in ever aspect over the Etys, the only reason I did the downgrade (read YMMV/my opinion/ etc.) was because I wanted some cash to use to upgrade my home setup. 

Sep 7, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #3,247 of 4,413
HF2/5 and UM3X are not even in the same class.  While both are pretty neutral, the triple driver UM3X destroys the Ety in regards to thoroughly covering the entire dynamic range with a much fuller and more realistic sound. While HF2/5 sounds very decent, it is very limited as well.

Sep 8, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #3,248 of 4,413
This notice is found on the Westone website, informing of the replacement program for UM2/UM3X removable cable version. Some of these IEMs are affected by a loose "component" which may result in much softer volume or in-audible mid-range. The hard-wired version is not affected by the problem.

I bought a pair and it was found to affected by the problem and replaced on the spot. The second pair was affected with the same problem after two weeks of usage and sent in for replacement. I am hoping to get the revised version soon.

Sep 8, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #3,249 of 4,413

Quote:
This notice is found on the Westone website, informing of the replacement program for UM2/UM3X removable cable version. Some of these IEMs are affected by a loose "component" which may result in much softer volume or in-audible mid-range. The hard-wired version is not affected by the problem.

I bought a pair and it was found to affected by the problem and replaced on the spot. The second pair was affected with the same problem after two weeks of usage and sent in for replacement. I am hoping to get the revised version soon.

Wow that's not good. It really sucks when you have a new product come out and little problems like this surface. I hope they can get that sorted out quickly so this dies off before people start looking elsewhere because of this possible issue. 

Sep 8, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #3,250 of 4,413

Quote:

I had mine replaced the day I got them, removable version as well. I hope this one doesn't die as well. 1 week now and no problems yet
regular_smile .gif

I'm amazed almost all eBay sellers are unauthorized sellers including many of the top-rated/powersellers. There is a short list on the bottom of the westone page.

Sep 8, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #3,251 of 4,413

Quote:
Which Ety model are you referring to?  My HF5s are not overly bright but really well balanced, the sound is the complete opposite of fatiguing and the bass is there where I want it.  Musicality-wise, they impress me more than the SM3s, due perhaps to the smaller, less inyourface presentation allowing you to hear the whole recording in one go easier.  Kinda  like the difference between seeing a Rothko painting close up and admiring all the many layers of similar colour, then standing back and being overwhelmed by the whole piece.

Etymotic ER-4P..............  sent them back in about a week.  Much happier now

Glad you are liking your hf5s !

Sep 9, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #3,252 of 4,413
I have the removable version as well. I can clearly hear a rattling sound when i tap the left earpiece. I have sent them a mail as I live in Norway, Europe...

I hope they will replace them.

Sep 9, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #3,253 of 4,413
^^ Westone is a great company and they have exceptional Customer Service - I'm speaking from experience here. I'm 100% you'll get a replacement, and all the more when the problem seems to be a 'bad' batch. I'm sure they won't let you down.

Sep 10, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #3,254 of 4,413
Hey everyone,

I currently have a pair of UE SF5pro's that finally broke after having owned them for 5 years. I got my moneys worth. However they broke from me not being careful when putting them back into their case! :frowning2: I wanted to ask if the UM3X is a big upgrade from UE SF5pro's? I know they are considered apples to oranges (2 drivers vs 3 drivers). Is it worth the extra money to go with the UM3X vs buying something in the same price range as the SF5pro's? e.g. Westone 2, UM2, etc etc.

- Garrett

Sep 10, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #3,255 of 4,413

Quote:
I have the removable version as well. I can clearly hear a rattling sound when i tap the left earpiece. I have sent them a mail as I live in Norway, Europe...

I hope they will replace them.

I am sure they will replace them for you. I am now wondering if the delay in my pair is due to the replacement of the component.

Strangely, it always seem to be the left unit with the problem. Both pairs I owned failed in the left unit as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back