Westone UM3X Thread
Sep 21, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #3,286 of 4,413
^^ Oh that's just brilliant!!
Congrats on the gratis IEM's. Sure you had some heartache and frustration and irritation... but now you have the UM2's !

I hope your UM3X's get to you in good order and fast. Then... you can tell me how the UM2 and UM3X compare. 
wink_face.gif

cheers

shane

Sep 21, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #3,287 of 4,413
Looks like Westone is having quality control problems.  I had returned my UM3x (with removable cables) and received the replacement yesterday which was defective out of  the box. This is the third Westone earphone I have purchased and the only one I have had any problem with.  I resent the fact that I now need to pay for a second return to Westone and wait yet again for a replacement unit.  Customer Service did not tell me that Westone was picking up the shipping cost for my original return.

Poor, REALLY POOR, Westone.

Sep 21, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #3,288 of 4,413

Quote:
^^ Oh that's just brilliant!!
Congrats on the gratis IEM's. Sure you had some heartache and frustration and irritation... but now you have the UM2's !

I hope your UM3X's get to you in good order and fast. Then... you can tell me how the UM2 and UM3X compare. 
wink_face.gif

cheers

shane

Thanks Shane, but I don't believe the amount of irritation, frustration, disappointment and time wasted -- specially when I got my ES3X last year (I never told the full story and don't intend to) plus what's happened in the last few days -- can be compensated by the UM2, which I only got by accident, BTW, ie Westone originally never intended to compensate me in any way. Perhaps the contents of a 25-minute long-distance call last Friday and a further long email contributed to their 'generosity'.

Still, it's the least they could do and seems about right. Now I just hope my UM3X replacement is not defective.

Sep 21, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #3,289 of 4,413

Quote:
Thanks Shane, but I don't believe the amount of irritation, frustration, disappointment and time wasted -- specially when I got my ES3X last year (I never told the full story and don't intend to) plus what's happened in the last few days -- can be compensated by the UM2, which I only got by accident, BTW, ie Westone originally never intended to compensate me in any way. Perhaps the contents of a 25-minute long-distance call last Friday and a further long email contributed to their 'generosity'.

Still, it's the least they could do and seems about right. Now I just hope my UM3X replacement is not defective.

After all that, if you were to tell me that the UM3X absolutely kicked the UM2's in every way I'd appreciate, all you've been through would probably have me seriously question getting them (or any other Westone product until they got their act together).
angry_face.gif

Sep 21, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #3,290 of 4,413
Edited 9-23:  I am an idiot and did not read Flexium's post very well.  I thought he wanted to use an amp with a portable source and his UM3X. 

Just disregard everything below,  I'll leave it for those who might see the humor in it.

Quote:
thanks for the advice, looking in to external DAC right now. I wonder if uDAC is good enough for UM3x though. Would a higher end Dac improve the sound much?

What are you using for a source and what file types? 

I certainly would not waste my money on a dac for the UM3X.  They are very revealing phones yet sound just fine with a good source.  Nano 4G and Touch 2G are very good.  A $100 to $200 dac IMO will not get you that much more if any increase in SQ, just different. 

But it is your $ and I have gone down that road myself once.  Good luck.

Sep 22, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #3,291 of 4,413

Quote:
What are you using for a source and what file types? 

I certainly would not waste my money on a dac for the UM3X.  They are very revealing phones yet sound just fine with a good source.  Nano 4G and Touch 2G are very good.  A $100 to $200 dac IMO will not get you that much more if any increase in SQ, just different. 

But it is your $ and I have gone down that road myself once.  Good luck.

I would be safe to assume that if flexium's looking at the uDAC that his source is a computer. I've found that even a PCM2702E equipped DAC improves the sound over the headphone out of my Macbook Pro or iMac, even with 320K MP3 and 256K AAC files.  The uDAC he asked about is more detailed and spacious, with better micro-detail and soundstage with my UM3X than any of my three PCM2702E equipped pieces of gear that I still like and kept (EF2, 3MOVE, XM5).  It's a great bang for the buck.

The uDAC to my ears beats many iPods in sound as well.  I found the iPod Touch 2G to sound a little grainy and harsh, and the 4G Nano to sound slightly bright or make sibilance worse in some earphones; although I do like the headphone out jack of the iPhone 3G, 3GS, and 4, and the 3G Nano.  Your suggestion to get an iPod instead of listening through the computer with a nicer DAC may not be the right move for him, if what he really wants is better sounding computer audio.

Now, he did ask, "Would a higher end Dac improve the sound much?"  In response I'd have to say that jumping to a $200, $300, or even $400 DAC/amp will only result in minute/small improvements over the gains obtained from the cheaper uDAC (or uDAC-2 which is even better).  In that case, doubling the cost only results in a few percentage points improvement in sound.  That may be worth it to some people, and not to others.  So I understand your reluctance to urge him on to spend more.  I just wouldn't encourage him to live with the stock audio card that the computer came with if there is decent priced gear that will improve his enjoyment.

Today I was listening to several Westone IEM with some friends on their Emotiva CD/Apache amp desktop rig, plus my iPad and iPhone 4 with TWag LOD and Pico Slim, and the iPhone 4 headphone out.  It was surprising that the iOS device with Pico Slim was warmer and punchier sounding than the very costly desktop rig, yet keeping up in areas of ambience and detail.  Proof that you don't have to spend a lot of money to get good synergy with certain IEM.  On the other hand, that same Pico Slim isn't going to drive a pair of HD600 or HD800 as well as the Apache.  

The iPhone 4 headphone out also had slightly less bass extension, presence, wamth, detail and soundstage vs the iPhone 4 or iPad with the Pico Slim.  But the headphone out was not bad at all, and I could see where someone would say an amp is not worth it.  But in the end the amped iPhone/iPad was more immersive, transparent and realistic sounding than right out of their headphone jack.  All three of us were convinced that the differences were not huge, but they were still unmistakable and rewarding.

Sep 22, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #3,292 of 4,413
So my UM3X with removable cable and 'fit kit' arrived a couple of days ago. Since then I've been giving it plenty of usage and forming my initial impressions. Up until getting the UM3X I've been using the HD 25-1 exclusively and I feel I've gotten pretty used to the Senn's sound signature (I love this headphone and consider it my baseline). On first firing up the UM3X I was impressed with the bass and detail but I felt it sounded very warm, overly so in fact. However, since spending more time with it I don't feel this is the case, not even when A-B'ing between the HD 25-1 again, which is bizarre considering how strong my initial impression of the UM3X was with regard to warmth. I've read IEMs don't 'break-in' so I'm struggling to explain this.

After a couple of days listening I've come to be impressed by the very smooth sound of the UM3X while providing terrific detail and separation. My Meier Audio CORDA STEPDANCE arrived last night and since pairing these two up I've been in audio nirvana. This combination provides a very clean, yet full, and 'encompassing' sound. The STEPDANCE may be playing a part in my subsequent view that the UM3X isn't as warm as I first though - thanks to its neutrality and tight control (there is a noticeable degradation in 'definition' when swapping back to the headphone out of my DAP (iphone 4)). A quick subsequent A-B between the UM3X and HD 25-1, with the STEPDANCE in the mix, suggests there isn't much difference in the sound signature between the two, but the UM3X does provide extra bass, detail, separation and that slightly fuller sound.

I had the UM1 prior to the HD 25-1, but since getting the Senn's I've not used them much as the comply foam made them inconvenient when I needed to remove and re-insert them fairly frequently, i.e. while at work. That and their sound was fairly flat and lacking in bass by comparison (though they did provide what felt like a very neutral and accurate rendering). The HD 25-1 are a good portable phone, but their design isn't what I would call discrete and I've received some funny looks while wearing them out and about. Since reviews of the UM3X promised extra bass, and the fit kit provided more tip options, I thought I'd give it a try. I dismissed all other tip types for one reason or another almost immediately, apart from the Olives. I also struggled with the Olives to begin with, which was disheartening, and I thought I'd still be stuck with the Complys. However after some perseverance I mastered putting the Olives in quickly with a comfortable fit and I'm very pleased as a result.

A picture of my new portable rig (the velcro is a temporary measure until I find something more suitable):

Sep 23, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #3,293 of 4,413
^ Very nice rig you have there
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh and for the velcro swap, maybe try silicon bands? I used them when I had an amp paired with my T51. You could also get velcro strips that stick to each part and velcro together although it would get your iphone gunky so I wouldn't advise that :/

Sep 23, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #3,294 of 4,413

Quote:
Looks like Westone is having quality control problems.  I had returned my UM3x (with removable cables) and received the replacement yesterday which was defective out of  the box. This is the third Westone earphone I have purchased and the only one I have had any problem with.  I resent the fact that I now need to pay for a second return to Westone and wait yet again for a replacement unit.  Customer Service did not tell me that Westone was picking up the shipping cost for my original return.

Wow that sucks man. It really is bad that the new variations of these great IEMs are having problems like this. Granted the people here who write about it is only a small percentage and I don't see that many, but it does suck reading ~20 posts that sound like this. 

Sep 23, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #3,295 of 4,413

Quote:
^ Very nice rig you have there
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="1" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="1" />
Oh and for the velcro swap, maybe try silicon bands? I used them when I had an amp paired with my T51. You could also get velcro strips that stick to each part and velcro together although it would get your iphone gunky so I wouldn't advise that :/

Thanks Young Spade
smily_headphones1.gif

I have seen pictures of various rigs with silicon bands, they do look better than just a velcro strap! I just need to find one of the right dimensions to fit snuggly around my rig.

Sep 23, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #3,296 of 4,413

Quote:
I would be safe to assume that if flexium's looking at the uDAC that his source is a computer.

Bixby sez:

My bad................... I'm an idiot!  Why I thought he was talking about an amp for an ipod I will never know.  Time to see about editing my original post.

thanks for being so kind with your remarks Larry
smile_phones.gif
  I really need to read more carefully before I write a response.

The uDAC to my ears beats many iPods in sound as well.  I found the iPod Touch 2G to sound a little grainy and harsh, and the 4G Nano to sound slightly bright or make sibilance worse in some earphones; although I do like the headphone out jack of the iPhone 3G, 3GS, and 4, and the 3G Nano.

Your suggestion to get an iPod instead of listening through the computer with a nicer DAC may not be the right move for him, if what he really wants is better sounding computer audio.

Now, he did ask, "Would a higher end Dac improve the sound much?"  In response I'd have to say that jumping to a $200, $300, or even $400 DAC/amp will only result in minute/small improvements over the gains obtained from the cheaper uDAC (or uDAC-2 which is even better).  In that case, doubling the cost only results in a few percentage points improvement in sound.  That may be worth it to some people, and not to others.  So I understand your reluctance to urge him on to spend more.  I just wouldn't encourage him to live with the stock audio card that the computer came with if there is decent priced gear that will improve his enjoyment.

Agreed

Today I was listening to several Westone IEM with some friends on their Emotiva CD/Apache amp desktop rig, plus my iPad and iPhone 4 with TWag LOD and Pico Slim, and the iPhone 4 headphone out.  It was surprising that the iOS device with Pico Slim was warmer and punchier sounding than the very costly desktop rig, yet keeping up in areas of ambience and detail.  Proof that you don't have to spend a lot of money to get good synergy with certain IEM.  On the other hand, that same Pico Slim isn't going to drive a pair of HD600 or HD800 as well as the Apache.  

The iPhone 4 headphone out also had slightly less bass extension, presence, wamth, detail and soundstage vs the iPhone 4 or iPad with the Pico Slim.  But the headphone out was not bad at all, and I could see where someone would say an amp is not worth it.  But in the end the amped iPhone/iPad was more immersive, transparent and realistic sounding than right out of their headphone jack.  All three of us were convinced that the differences were not huge, but they were still unmistakable and rewarding.

Certainly a dac would be a great idea.  I have never heard the udac, but if it is close to the HDP then by all means.  I have realtively little experience with the entry level dacs.

Sep 24, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #3,297 of 4,413

Quote:
Certainly a dac would be a great idea.  I have never heard the udac, but if it is close to the HDP then by all means.  I have realtively little experience with the entry level dacs.

I'll try to remember to bring my uDAC-2 with me to RMAF, and if you stop by you could give it a try and listen.  It's closer to the HDP than the original uDAC, but still with a little less micro-detail and air, while offering a slightly warmer and slightly more forward presentation (but more neutral than the original uDAC). 

Sep 24, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #3,298 of 4,413
Quote:

Quote:
Wow that sucks man. It really is bad that the new variations of these great IEMs are having problems like this. Granted the people here who write about it is only a small percentage and I don't see that many, but it does suck reading ~20 posts that sound like this. 

Well, all is well that ends well, I suppose.  I have my 2nd replacement UM3x and it is fine.  Westone does back up its product, which is of course a very good thing.   I've had a string of bad luck in my recent audio purchases, having to return two other items.  In both cases, the matter was promptly resolved.  Stuff happens which is why who you buy from is also very important.  I'm a happy camper, again.
L3000.gif

Sep 24, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #3,300 of 4,413
I've been in something of a whirlwind of headphones the last few days...

At first I wanted the RS1is. But the small soundstage turned me off of them. Plus I figured I don't need another set of cans.

Then I wanted IEMs. The IE8s, in fact, because I do so enjoy my HD650s. But then I heard how thick they sounded and that turned me off.

THEN I read some reviews of the W3s and was all set to pull the trigger. The complaints of the mid bass hump concerned me, but I figured even $400 earphones have their shortcomings.

BUT THEN I read reviews of the UM3X and decided that was the one for me. Even after reading through these last few pages I went ahead and ordered the removable cable variety. Hopefully they are the newer variety so I won't have to send them back. We'll see! Otherwise I'm excited to check them out.

So THANKS A LOT Head-Fi for saving me $300! And also from making what would have probably been a poor choice with the IE8s or the W3s (at least for me).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back