Westone UM3X Thread
Sep 10, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #3,256 of 4,413

Quote:
Hey everyone,

I currently have a pair of UE SF5pro's that finally broke after having owned them for 5 years. I got my moneys worth. However they broke from me not being careful when putting them back into their case! :frowning2: I wanted to ask if the UM3X is a big upgrade from UE SF5pro's? I know they are considered apples to oranges (2 drivers vs 3 drivers). Is it worth the extra money to go with the UM3X vs buying something in the same price range as the SF5pro's? e.g. Westone 2, UM2, etc etc.

- Garrett

Depends on what kind of sound signature you want; they are going to sound different than the Super.Fi 5s. What did you like and not like about the previous phones?

Sep 10, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #3,257 of 4,413
They sounded pretty good. The bass was nice and tight. These were my first pair of IEM's. So I have nothing to compare. The one thing I did not like was the comfort. I could only wear them for an hour or so before my ears would become a little sore or I had to reseal them into my ear. I am curious about the three driver design. Wanted to see if it was worth the extra expense or stick with a two driver design e.g. um2's etc.

If I do go with the UM3X, is the removable cable option worth it or are there still issues?

- Garrett

Sep 10, 2010 at 10:43 AM Post #3,258 of 4,413

Quote:
They sounded pretty good. The bass was nice and tight. These were my first pair of IEM's. So I have nothing to compare. The one thing I did not like was the comfort. I could only wear them for an hour or so before my ears would become a little sore or I had to reseal them into my ear. I am curious about the three driver design. Wanted to see if it was worth the extra expense or stick with a two driver design e.g. um2's etc.

If I do go with the UM3X, is the removable cable option worth it or are there still issues?

- Garrett

Yea they were my first pair of upper tier phones as well and I loved them, I thought I would never upgrade. Now it's been... I'm on my 4th new IEM (in the mail now) since then.

Of course I ddin't think the fit was that bad until I got the UM3Xs. Now those are amazing comfort wise (and anything else with that enclosed/domed shape (Westone, Shure phones etc.)

Sep 10, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #3,259 of 4,413
I've owned the Ety 4S for some time and recently purchased and sold the UMx3s.  The Eys didn't have enough bass although their highs were very clean.  They are resolving but I was looking for something with superb mids and bass AND good highs.

The UMx3s had wonderful mids and very good bass but the overall sound was veiled and the highs were recessed or muffled - it drove me absolutely batty.  I couldn't hear some of the violins on some songs. 

CJ
:)

Quote:
Which Ety model are you referring to?  My HF5s are not overly bright but really well balanced, the sound is the complete opposite of fatiguing and the bass is there where I want it.  Musicality-wise, they impress me more than the SM3s, due perhaps to the smaller, less inyourface presentation allowing you to hear the whole recording in one go easier.  Kinda  like the difference between seeing a Rothko painting close up and admiring all the many layers of similar colour, then standing back and being overwhelmed by the whole piece.

Are there any Ety HF2/5 or even ER4 owners who switched to the UM3X and can you describe your impressions?  Not that I'm tempted to splash the cash at this stage, but am keeping one eye open.

Sep 10, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #3,260 of 4,413

Quote:
I've owned the Ety 4S for some time and recently purchased and sold the UMx3s.  The Eys didn't have enough bass although their highs were very clean.  They are resolving but I was looking for something with superb mids and bass AND good highs.

The UMx3s had wonderful mids and very good bass but the overall sound was veiled and the highs were recessed or muffled - it drove me absolutely batty.  I couldn't hear some of the violins on some songs. 

CJ
:)

Were you using Comply tips? I thought the same thing until I used some silicon tips and my opinions changed 180 degrees about them. The detail was better than before and the IEMs were simply amazing. I loved them.

Sep 13, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #3,261 of 4,413
A few weeks ago I posted that I purchased a pair of UM3x's. I screwed up and ordered the non replacable cable model. Contemplated sending them back but was leaving on a trip and really needed some good iem's so I kept them. It looks like that was a good decision since the replacable cable's first round has had a few problems. I can report that these iem's are way good though.

As this is my first pair of high end iem's, I can't compare them to other makes, so take the following commnets with that in mind.

I've been in the high end audio business for more years than I care to count and I can say, although iem's are a complete different listening experience for soundstaging, these little guys seem very accurate. The base is deep, tight, well defined and natural sounding. Not overly (abnormally?) punchy that can sound great at first listening, but tiresome after a while. If your looking for mid bass thump, you probably won't find it here.

The mids have a very nice presence with great detail. They may be a little forward from flat, but the timbre is amazing for such a small system.

Treble performance is quite good, not overly pronounced but always there with great detail, no splashiness, open and with a good sense of air.

Soundstage on iem's is where I have little to go on as I've always listened to full sized speaker systems. The UM3x's seem to do a credible job, although the presentation is way different than a conventional audio system. I do hear very nice seperation with an open and quiet soundstage. I don't have an iem comparitive perpective on how expansive the stage is though as these are my first nice iem's. Suffice it say, forward staging stops at the inside of my forehead. The rest of the stage extends to beyond the back of my head and beyond the sides as well. There's certainly enough staging to get a nice, layered perspective of real performers in a space.

Combined with excellent detail, timbre and balance, these are a joy to listen to. All I can say is they literally make me smile! Try some Keb Mo for instance, His music really relies on a good sense of timing and speed to convey the groove. When combined with the proper timbre and detail in his voice, you can't help but tap your feet, groove your body and smile from ear to ear!

All of this makes these guys a joy to listen to. They can sound relaxed when the music calls for it and can make you tap your feet when the music demands. BTW, these impressions are with the stock tips straight from the box. I can't wait to hear them when the tips are optimized!

Construction seems top notch and looks like a professional product, which I guess is what Westone intended them for. The cables are quiet and the  monitors are very confortable even after 3 to 4 hours. Judging by the build quality of the hardwired version, I would expect Westone to get the replacable cable situation resolved quickly. It would be interesting to play with some esoteric cables to eeck out the last ounce performance.

I'm sure the UM3x's are not for everybody, but they do have all of the qualities of a fine presentation and are worthy of an audition!

Postscripts:

Listening was done with the current 64mb itouch that easily drove the units with a nice quite black background.

BTW, I also tried these on my Zoom H4 portable digital recorder monitoring my acoustic guitar. Wow! Original acoustic source material was phenominal!

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #3,262 of 4,413
For everyone that has the detachable cable version and do not have the rattling issue, Westone will still accept your return and provide you with a new pair to prevent the issue in the future.  I have received an email from them indicating they are prepared to replace all UM2 and UM3X with detachable cables, but they must be returned by November 30, 2010.  I also, called them today and they told me to ship everything back along with your name, address and telephone number noted.

Here's the email I received from Kyle at Westone:

Gavin,​
 ​
[size=xx-small][size=11pt]Thank you for your e-mail. The rattling issue does only effect certain units, however, it is recommended that you send it in for a replacement as this will eliminate the possibility of the issue for you. Westone stands 100% behind our products. Even though this issue only affects some units, Westone is prepared to replace all qualifying UM2 and UM3X with Removable Cable consumer units returned to us by November 30, 2010. The standard warranty will apply after that time.[/size][/size]​
[size=xx-small][size=11pt] [/size][/size]​
[size=xx-small][size=11pt]If you would like to return your UM2 or UM3X with Removable Cable for replacement, please send it to us under FedEx account number 1506-5124-7. Be sure to include your name, contact information and return address. [/size][/size]​
 ​
[size=xx-small][size=11pt][size=xx-small][size=11pt]Please note that this issue is limited to just the UM2 and UM3X with Removable Cable. The hard-wired versions display no similar symptoms.[/size][/size][/size][/size]​
[size=xx-small][size=11pt][size=xx-small][size=11pt] [/size][/size][/size][/size]​
[size=xx-small][size=11pt][size=xx-small][size=11pt]We apologize for any inconvenience.[/size][/size][/size][/size]
 ​
[size=xx-small][size=11pt][size=medium]Kyle Harris[/size][/size][/size]

[size=12pt] [size=x-small]Gavin ,

You will need to send the package to this address.[/size]

[size=10pt]Westone Laboratories, Inc.[/size] [size=10pt]Attn: Returns Department[/size]
[size=10pt]2260 Executive Circle[/size]
[size=10pt]Colorado Springs, CO 80906[/size]
[size=10pt]US[/size]

[size=x-small][size=10pt]Let me know if I can further assist you.[/size][/size]

[size=10pt]Thank you,[/size]

[size=medium]Kyle Harris[/size]
[/size]

Sep 14, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #3,263 of 4,413
Does anyone have the revised version of UM2/UM3X w/ removable cable? Will like to see how the orange dot on the packaging looks like. The local distributor in Singapore seems to have no idea about the issue at all and I hope I don't have to wait for another month for the revised version...

Sep 14, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #3,264 of 4,413

Quote:
Does anyone have the revised version of UM2/UM3X w/ removable cable? Will like to see how the orange dot on the packaging looks like. The local distributor in Singapore seems to have no idea about the issue at all and I hope I don't have to wait for another month for the revised version...

Ship it directly to Westone for replacement, much faster than through a third party. I'll ship mine today to Westone.

Sep 15, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #3,265 of 4,413

Quote:

Don't bother going to local distributer. I shipped mine yesterday. Give fed ex a call and get them to pick it up from your place. 

Sep 15, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #3,267 of 4,413
+1 for Westone's customer service. I had the cable start going on the fritz on my UM3X and they replaced it under warranty with no hassle. Very quick and professional customer service.

Even though this would be considered a negative experience (in that the product was defective) the excellent customer service will ensure that I buy Westone again in the future.

Sep 16, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #3,268 of 4,413
I have a UM3x problem. 

I used to use a laptop to drive my um3x. It worked really well but I recently built a new computer. UM3x has so much hiss now that it's unusable.
I figured it is a source problem and the only solution I can think of is buying a new dac. 

But I don't really want to spend money on dac unless I have to (since it worked well with laptop, which is a crappy source too). 
Can you guys think of other solutions or another cause of this problem?

Thanks

Sep 16, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #3,269 of 4,413

Quote:
I have a UM3x problem. 

I used to use a laptop to drive my um3x. It worked really well but I recently built a new computer. UM3x has so much hiss now that it's unusable.
I figured it is a source problem and the only solution I can think of is buying a new dac. 

But I don't really want to spend money on dac unless I have to (since it worked well with laptop, which is a crappy source too). 
Can you guys think of other solutions or another cause of this problem?

Thanks

You need either a new improved soundcard, or external DAC/amp.  On a tight budget I would get the Nuforce uDAC-2 24/96 USB DAC/amp and be done with it.  It sounds wonderful with my UM3X, and all my other IEM as well.

Sep 16, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #3,270 of 4,413
Well, I sent my new UM3X (removable cable) back to Westone for a replacement on Wed 7th and it was delivered early in the morning 2 days later (Fri, 9th, confirmed by FedEx). I was hoping they'd send a replacement on the course of that same Friday, but they didn't.

I then sent an email on Saturday but got no reply on Monday. Sent a second email on Tuesday, 13th and was told they'd only received my order that day -- which is NOT true, it was actually received 4 days earlier -- and that a replacement would be shipped later that day or the very next day (yesterday) at the most and was also told I'd get a tracking number.

I sent another email yesterday, and never got a reply. Today is Thursday, 6 days after they received my faulty set (early morning of last Friday) and I've not had an update or received a tracking number.

Yes, Westone have excellent CS, and I've said so a few times, but this time I feel let down as they've had plenty of time to send a replacement UM3X. I'm not very happy about this after all the expensive products I've purchased from them: Custom ES3X, Westone 3, and 2 sets of UM3X (old & new versions).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back