Westone UM3X Thread
Nov 3, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #2,461 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by turnstyle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The UM3x doesn't have a ridge on the stem that holds the tips, right? Can you slide your tips a bit further out on the stem to get a better fit?

And thanks -- I'd be very happy to hear from anybody here who wants to share their thoughts on the UM3x with respect to comfort, micorphonics, and wind noise -- especially helpful if you can possibly compare it to the Image S4.

It would also be great if you can possibly help compare the UM3x to other high-end universal IEMs with respect to comfort, micorphonics, and wind noise -- ie, setting aside the "my preferred signature" type questions, and more about the physical attributes.

The um3 might be what you're looking for. They are well formed and tuck tightly in the loop of my ear. Cables are not noisy over the ear. I don't know about wind noise, but isolation is good and the SQ is kind of penetrating to my ears (in a good way). They are moderately priced. Sound is balanced so should be pleasant when you're stationary.
I know you've been asking around about the ie8 also. They are a fine sounding earphone, but because of their open back dynamic driver I suspect there will be a lot of wind noise.

Nov 3, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #2,462 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by scrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The um3 might be what you're looking for. They are well formed and tuck tightly in the loop of my ear. Cables are not noisy over the ear. I don't know about wind noise, but isolation is good and the SQ is kind of penetrating to my ears (in a good way). They are moderately priced. Sound is balanced so should be pleasant when you're stationary.
I know you've been asking around about the ie8 also. They are a fine sounding earphone, but because of their open back dynamic driver I suspect there will be a lot of wind noise.

Thanks -- Westone UM2/UM3x and IE8 have been the most frequently recommended IEMs, given what I have in mind. Several people have suggested that IE8's might be more wind-sensitive, though several other have contested that. But I do seem to be getting the most consensus for UM2/UM3x (based on their physical qualities), and for the UM3x when you also factor in sound quality.

Visiting forums like this can be dangerous fun.

Nov 3, 2009 at 11:30 AM Post #2,463 of 4,413
Quick question for UM3x owners -- how do you prefer to wear yours?

Over the ears, back behind the head, with the Y pulled closed, down the back?

Over the ears, back behind the head, with the Y pulled closed, back over the shoulder and down the front?

Over the ears, hanging down in front? (not behind the head)

(I gather you pretty much have to run the cable over the ears?)

Nov 3, 2009 at 1:03 PM Post #2,468 of 4,413
Quote:

fwiw, this is where I got the "over the ears, back behind the head, with the Y pulled closed" idea -- from Earphone Solutions:

YouTube - Earphone Solutions Westone 3 Earphones Presentation - Video I

that looked pretty doofy. i wouldn't go out in public like that, unless i was out running or something, then it makes sense.

on another note, i've been borrowing a friend's old supermini amp and listening to it connected from the line-out of my iPod. holy snot, these IEMs sound unfreakingbelievable.

seriously, everything is better... bass is supertight, the treble opens up wide, the mids are just liquid and detailed, the instruments just fall right into place. but my favorite part is that the soundstage is noticeably wider and more 3D. i loved my UM3X before; now i wanna marry them
tongue.gif

so of course, that means i'll soon be out another couple hundred smackers as i go on another buying frenzy.
eek.gif

Nov 3, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #2,469 of 4,413
So when you wear them over the ears in front, you leave the Y cable open all the way down, and nothing really holds the cables in place behind your ears (in the way that the behind-the-head-and-tightened would presumably hold them there) -- is that about right?

Nov 3, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #2,470 of 4,413
I tighten the slider under my chin

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #2,471 of 4,413
over the ears in front ,

i image you wouldnt need to use the back method unless you are using them on stage or running etc...

Nov 3, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #2,473 of 4,413
Quote:

So when you wear them over the ears in front, you leave the Y cable open all the way down, and nothing really holds the cables in place behind your ears (in the way that the behind-the-head-and-tightened would presumably hold them there) -- is that about right?

they hold themselves in place pretty well.

Nov 3, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #2,474 of 4,413
My SE530s have officially died as of today due to wear and tear.
As a result of that, i have just purchased a pair off these from Mike @ InEarGear; should be here tomorrow! I'm aware of the difference between the two, but I'm going to go ahead and take the opportunity to try something different.

Nov 3, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #2,475 of 4,413
is it good for bassline monitoring? i am a bassist and i have to listen the bassline's melody.
i am going to buy a pair of IEM today rather um3x or tf10.
i want an analytical and also flat response IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back