Westone UM3X Thread
Oct 30, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #2,446 of 4,413
bakhtiar have you tried them with a D2? im using them with a D2 now but i tried the x1050 (without um3x ) but thought it sounded more fun than a D2

Oct 30, 2009 at 10:58 AM Post #2,448 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by jussssss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bakhtiar have you tried them with a D2? im using them with a D2 now but i tried the x1050 (without um3x ) but thought it sounded more fun than a D2

I never tried the D2 yet. To make sure, just visit your nearest SonyCenter or Sonystyle or shopping mall and try the X by yourself. If you love acoustics music, IMO, UM3Xs will be a nice choice. The guitar sound beautiful and lively, IMHO. Not need to 100% 'trust' my words, because, my listening preferences might be different than others.
smily_headphones1.gif
Recently mvw2 had posted a good UM3Xs review, which described the UM3Xs sound signature very well.
smily_headphones1.gif

For some peoples, UM3Xs need to be EQed for better treble response, but for others like me can appreciate the sound without any EQ. But to me UM3Xs are very good IEMs.

Thank you.

Oct 30, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #2,449 of 4,413
Hi all, in another head-fi thread (here) a few folks suggested that I should consider getting Westone UM2 or UM3X.

I'd mostly be using them while biking and walking, and my previous pair (a ruined pair of Image S4's) picked up a fair amount of physical noise: wind on the buds when biking, cable microphonics when walking.

My understanding is that the Westone UM2 or UM3X IEMs would be good to help reduce those sources of noise, because: 1) even though they're not very small, they sit flush within the ear, and should hopefully reduce the wind noise, and 2) the cable seems to handle microphonics well, which should help when I'm walking around.

Is that about right? I'm open to any new IEM, but I'm especially interested in an IEM that will perform well when biking/walking (as opposed to at a desk).

Thanks!

Oct 31, 2009 at 9:36 AM Post #2,450 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by sennmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how is the um3x in comparsion to the w3? are the mids more pronounced? is there a little bit less bass? the w3 offers a lot of it? and how are the highs exactly as good as in the w3?

exactly what he said

Nov 1, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #2,451 of 4,413
Anyone in Toronto (around UofT St George or in Scarborough) with a pair of UM3X or W3's that would like to give my pair a listen to see if they sound the way they should, or would let me give their pair a brief listen?

Thanks in advance!

Nov 1, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #2,452 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by pomme de terre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone in Toronto (around UofT St George or in Scarborough) with a pair of UM3X or W3's that would like to give my pair a listen to see if they sound the way they should, or would let me give their pair a brief listen?

Thanks in advance!

Garrr...You should have asked this 2 months earlier; I had both.

Now I sold off W3 and made my UM3X custom...

Nov 2, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #2,454 of 4,413
Sorry for the repost, and perhaps for the somewhat odd question -- compared to Image S4's (and ignoring SQ for now) how would you compare physical comfort, cable microphonics, and wind noise sensitivity of UM3x's? (and, is it correct to think that the same would hold for UM2's?)

Thanks kindly!

Nov 2, 2009 at 11:58 AM Post #2,455 of 4,413
Cable microphonics is essentially non existing on the Westone cables. I haven't tried mine outdors yet so don't know about wind noise but with the super low profile fit I would guess that there is going to be very little of that as well. Physical comfort to me is very good but I could imagine that somebody with small ears might have trouble fitting them inside the outer ear, the only problem I have is that since it can't go very deep in the ear I sometimes don't feel that I get as good a seal as I do with my Etymotics phones so I'm waiting for some large olives to turn up.

Nov 2, 2009 at 12:24 PM Post #2,456 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cable microphonics is essentially non existing on the Westone cables. I haven't tried mine outdors yet so don't know about wind noise but with the super low profile fit I would guess that there is going to be very little of that as well. Physical comfort to me is very good but I could imagine that somebody with small ears might have trouble fitting them inside the outer ear, the only problem I have is that since it can't go very deep in the ear I sometimes don't feel that I get as good a seal as I do with my Etymotics phones so I'm waiting for some large olives to turn up.

The UM3x doesn't have a ridge on the stem that holds the tips, right? Can you slide your tips a bit further out on the stem to get a better fit?

And thanks -- I'd be very happy to hear from anybody here who wants to share their thoughts on the UM3x with respect to comfort, micorphonics, and wind noise -- especially helpful if you can possibly compare it to the Image S4.

It would also be great if you can possibly help compare the UM3x to other high-end universal IEMs with respect to comfort, micorphonics, and wind noise -- ie, setting aside the "my preferred signature" type questions, and more about the physical attributes.

Nov 2, 2009 at 12:41 PM Post #2,457 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by turnstyle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The UM3x doesn't have a ridge on the stem that holds the tips, right? Can you slide your tips a bit further out on the stem to get a better fit?

No there are no ridges to hold on to the tip so they really need to be pushed all the way down. I had used my standard spacer mod like I do on the Etymotics phones and that helped since the olive got a little further into the ear but more often than not I was left with the tip inside the ear when I took the phones out

Quote:

Originally Posted by turnstyle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would also be great if you can possibly help compare the UM3x to other high-end universal IEMs with respect to comfort, micorphonics, and wind noise -- ie, setting aside the "my preferred signature" type questions, and more about the physical attributes.

About 1½ years ago I had the Tripple.fi 10 and the Westone cable is miles better than the UE cable and comfort wise I was never able to get a comfortable fit with the Tripple.fi, it was just too big or shaped wrong for my ears and I tried all sorts of tips and the flipflop mod.

Nov 2, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #2,458 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No there are no ridges to hold on to the tip so they really need to be pushed all the way down. I had used my standard spacer mod like I do on the Etymotics phones and that helped since the olive got a little further into the ear but more often than not I was left with the tip inside the ear when I took the phones out

Just curious, have you tried W3's? My understanding is that they have slightly longer stems -- I believe that has actually lead some people to find them less comfortable as compared to UM2/UM3x, but it might actually be a plus for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back