Westone UM3X Thread
Oct 29, 2009 at 11:27 AM Post #2,431 of 4,413
Not me.. could be source dependent. I find there's adequate treble from my 2nd gen iPod Touch, whereas the iPhone 3G sounded bloated and lacked detail... it was enough to convince me to sell it and use the iPod Touch again.

Personally, I find there's just the right amount of treble with the Touch. Amping brings it out a little more though, but still sounds good.

Oct 29, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #2,433 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are some UM3X owners who tweak the treble EQ on their players. I know when I had the W3s, with the modded flanges, I used to use treble booster on my Touch, and it sounded better. But I sold the Touch and the W3s. Don't boost the treble with the custom sleeves at all, and it sounds right.

Upping the treble on the already treble-emphasized W3s? Some people would call you crazy
biggrin.gif
. Aren't some people reporting sibilance because of the emphasized highs?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kloan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not me.. could be source dependent. I find there's adequate treble from my 2nd gen iPod Touch, whereas the iPhone 3G sounded bloated and lacked detail... it was enough to convince me to sell it and use the iPod Touch again.

Personally, I find there's just the right amount of treble with the Touch. Amping brings it out a little more though, but still sounds good.

Selling the iphone 3G because it didn't sound good... you're quite the audiophile
beerchug.gif

But it is true. The UM3X is incredibly source dependent. The new clip+ and the cowon d2+ sound good.

Oct 29, 2009 at 1:04 PM Post #2,434 of 4,413
You guys think it might be source-dependent because of the nature of the crossover? Maybe the UM3X's is hungrier and more sensitive than the ones in other triple-driver earphones in this class.

Oct 29, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #2,435 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Dying_Wren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Upping the treble on the already treble-emphasized W3s? Some people would call you crazy
biggrin.gif
. Aren't some people reporting sibilance because of the emphasized highs?

Selling the iphone 3G because it didn't sound good... you're quite the audiophile
beerchug.gif

But it is true. The UM3X is incredibly source dependent. The new clip+ and the cowon d2+ sound good.

With the W3s, the only tips for me that did not deliver the dreaded sibilance were the modded tri-flanges (stalk trimmed about 50 percent). However, those tips also muffled the highs somewhat, so a little EQ and they sounded great. In fact, if I could have afforded both the W3 and the UM3X, I would have kept both, since I now have the UM56 sleeves too.

But yes, the W3 treble needed to be EQ'd with those moded tips. I remember not being along in finding that to be the case, either.

Oct 29, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #2,436 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the W3s, the only tips for me that did not deliver the dreaded sibilance were the modded tri-flanges (stalk trimmed about 50 percent). However, those tips also muffled the highs somewhat, so a little EQ and they sounded great. In fact, if I could have afforded both the W3 and the UM3X, I would have kept both, since I now have the UM56 sleeves too.

But yes, the W3 treble needed to be EQ'd with those moded tips. I remember not being along in finding that to be the case, either.

Fair enough. Wasn't aware of that.

Oct 29, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #2,437 of 4,413
got these headphones today. Not terribly impressed, but not disappointed either. (Then again, I wasn't impressed by the Shure se530 or Westone 3 either...I don't think I am discerning enough to be impressed by minute details). To be honest, I do not think they sound that different from Westone 3's (I had a good fit with the westone 3's). Build quality is still suspect (glue marks, uncut wire parts that stick out) but I guess I expected that from reading this thread. I do like them a little better than the Westone 3's because I always felt that the vocals on the Westone 3's were recessed and these fix that problem for me. On a side note, I noticed the cord for these are different from the westone 3's (they are not as glossy). Can anybody comment if they are better/worse than the wire for the Westone 3's? My Westone 3's had a bit of a problem with the wire unwinding.

Oct 30, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #2,438 of 4,413
I find if I insert the W3 or UM3X with silicone tips too deeply that it kills the treble. A more shallow insertion boosts the treble. Anyone who thinks the W3 or UM3X are too dark is likely either using the wrong tips for their ear shape/size or inserting them too deeply, I think.

Oct 30, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #2,439 of 4,413
So I've tried different sources (Ipod Touch 2G, old Discman, laptop, all with and without a Fiio E5) and I found it made no real difference to the sound. Also tried different sleeves (Shure olives, Shure soft flex, Complys) and they didnt really make a difference either.

I still find voices to sound muffled and not crisp and clear as Id expect them to... even compared to super low end earbuds like the PL30's. I dont get what the hell is wrong.

EDIT: Just saw Larry's post above. I barely have them inserted when using soft flex tips. They are just sitting in my ear enough to have seal (I feel suction when I take them out), and they still sound somewhat unclear. I dont have them deep with using foamies either.

Oct 30, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #2,440 of 4,413
guys, I'm in despair. my IE8s are just not improving. it's well after 120 hours of burn in.
it's slow, veiled, not pronounced, treble spikes are still there....
UM3X or Denon c751?
I know the Denon is a different class, but I can't think of anything else.
UM3X has no treble spikes and its bass is less bloated I beleive ?

add: DAP is Sony S639, files are 192 or 320 mp3s

Oct 30, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #2,441 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by pomme de terre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I've tried different sources (Ipod Touch 2G, old Discman, laptop, all with and without a Fiio E5) and I found it made no real difference to the sound. Also tried different sleeves (Shure olives, Shure soft flex, Complys) and they didnt really make a difference either.

I still find voices to sound muffled and not crisp and clear as Id expect them to... even compared to super low end earbuds like the PL30's. I dont get what the hell is wrong.

EDIT: Just saw Larry's post above. I barely have them inserted when using soft flex tips. They are just sitting in my ear enough to have seal (I feel suction when I take them out), and they still sound somewhat unclear. I dont have them deep with using foamies either.

Have someone else try them, or send them in to see if there is a problem. What you describe doesn't sound right.

Oct 30, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #2,443 of 4,413
pomme de terre:
You said, the vocal is muffled and not crispy enough, and IMO you are preferring a 'brighter' sound signature, and to my ears, the vocal seem to be 'big'. Without EQ, UM3Xs is not as bright as my PFEs, but, as time goes by, the UM3Xs sound signature grows in my mind, aka mental burn-in, and I am loving it especially when ampped with warm sound signature amp, such as the iBasso D10.

Beside, vocal how do you find the high? Also did you tried to EQ them?, Example, boost about +6dB around 4-6 kHz.

Thank you.

Oct 30, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #2,444 of 4,413
bakhtiar,

I noticed in your profile that you're using the x1060 along with the um3x. I've been doing a lot of reading trying to decide between buying the um3x or w3... my only worry is the noted smaller soundstage on the um3x. I'm a x1060 user myself, which I've found to have very nice soundstage (along with Klipsch Custom-3's). How do the x1060 and um3x sound together? Any experience with the x1060 and W3? Thanks!

Oct 30, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #2,445 of 4,413
tbrown11

To my ears, UM3Xs (custom tip) + X1000 are nice combo, especially if you love bass and mid. Yes, the treble is much less than my liking, due to UM3X's decreased frequency response around 4-7 kHz + X1000's slightly less detail around the same frequency range. You can adjust it with EQ, +2@6.3kHz.

Overall, UM3Xs + X1000 is a good combo. Matched the X1000's details and punchy bass. If you have 1960-70's recordings which have high quantity in treble and sibilance, this combo is perfect!
smily_headphones1.gif
. The Neil Sedaka's "One Way Ticket" is very nice with them. No sibilant at all.
smily_headphones1.gif

TQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back