Westone UM3X Thread
Oct 28, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #2,417 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Dying_Wren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... Coming from the IE8s the UM3X were a bit strange to begin with.

Yea, I absolutely loved the IE8's but lost them, so I decided to take the chance to try something new. The IE8's were great, sparkly highs, great separation and detail, amazing low end, and they arent as loud as these UM3X...which might actually my problem.

I tend to have the volume set fairly low. Since the UM3X are so sensitive, I have to set my ipod at the absolute lowest volume it can go in order to listen comfortably. If I turn up the volume a bit, they actually sound ok. Could it that I need IEM's with a U shaped frequency response since I listen at low volumes?

I also tried a pair of SE310s side by side with my UM3X today, and the SE310s sounded more crisp. The UM3X midrange seems really muffled in comparison, and voices do not sound right. I hope the crossover or one of the drivers arent defective.

Oct 28, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #2,418 of 4,413
i though they could be a bit muddy too, a bump in the high end solved that though on the D2.

Oct 28, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #2,419 of 4,413
I retried the stock Comply and Olive tips after 4 months of constant listening, and I have to say, the highs no longer sound muffled as they were at first...you do get used to them!

Oct 28, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #2,420 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by pomme de terre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea, I absolutely loved the IE8's but lost them, so I decided to take the chance to try something new. The IE8's were great, sparkly highs, great separation and detail, amazing low end, and they arent as loud as these UM3X...which might actually my problem.

I tend to have the volume set fairly low. Since the UM3X are so sensitive, I have to set my ipod at the absolute lowest volume it can go in order to listen comfortably. If I turn up the volume a bit, they actually sound ok. Could it that I need IEM's with a U shaped frequency response since I listen at low volumes?

I also tried a pair of SE310s side by side with my UM3X today, and the SE310s sounded more crisp. The UM3X midrange seems really muffled in comparison, and voices do not sound right. I hope the crossover or one of the drivers arent defective.

you really need to experiment with different tips, as well. the highs really opened up when i found the ones that fit my ear best (soft flex)

Oct 28, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #2,421 of 4,413
It's now 24 hours after receiving my Soft Flex tips and I have to say after extended use there are mixed feelings. The mids and highs have certainly opened up, but I feel i'm missing some bass now. Noise isolation with the Soft Flex sleeves is to my ears far worse than the standard complys. I've decided it'll be cheaper in the long term to go for custom sleeves. I'm booked in for some impressions to be made at my local audiologist and they'll be sent off to ACS in the UK. There appear to be plenty of Headfiers happy with their ACS sleeves.

Oct 28, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #2,422 of 4,413
Smart move, remove all the tip hassles, though as noted earlier in the thread, some, not all, owners of UM56s have issues with the phones coming off the custom sleeves. They seem firmly secure, but they just come off in time. I will be walking down the street, and they just fall off (the UM3X, of course). Good thing they have those little plastic thingies to pull out the sleeves with.

I got a message from Westone saying to get a refit, but I don't think it's related to the impressions at all. Something wrong with the bore on the hole. Again, a few other UM56 owners reported the same thing. One suggestion was to use a very fine drill bit to widen the inner part of the hole (it could be too narrow at the innermost point and that is what forces the IEMs out). That sounds good, but makes me nervous.

For now, I am constantly pushing on the UM3X to make sure they are secure. A real pain. Hopefully, it won't happen to you. Otherwise, they sound better than any other tips, no doubt. But don't expect dramatic leaps forward for SQ.

Oct 28, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #2,423 of 4,413
Thanks for your thoughts and impressions. I'm not expecting too much from the customs. If they can give the open highs of the Soft Flexes with the noise isolation and stronger bass of the Complys i'll be more than happy. Do you believe that's likely?

Oct 28, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #2,425 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-fi Wigwammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your thoughts and impressions. I'm not expecting too much from the customs. If they can give the open highs of the Soft Flexes with the noise isolation and stronger bass of the Complys i'll be more than happy. Do you believe that's likely?

Yes, they are the best tips for SQ with the UM3X.

Oct 29, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #2,426 of 4,413
Is there any way to tell if the IEM's are defective, say one of the drivers not functioning properly?

I'm finding with treble booster on, everything sounds a lot more "normal". Things arent as muffled, voices sound more right and things dont sound as cramped inside my head.

Oct 29, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #2,427 of 4,413
Quote:

Is there any way to tell if the IEM's are defective, say one of the drivers not functioning properly?

I'm finding with treble booster on, everything sounds a lot more "normal". Things arent as muffled, voices sound more right and things dont sound as cramped inside my head.

You only know if the drivers are functioning properly by listening, or testing each individual driver with a response test. But since no one has the machine, you just have to listen. If both your earphones sound the same, then it's probably not broken. Just you find the signature not bright enough and analytical enough.

Oct 29, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #2,428 of 4,413
Quote:

There are some UM3X owners who tweak the treble EQ on their players. I know when I had the W3s, with the modded flanges, I used to use treble booster on my Touch, and it sounded better. But I sold the Touch and the W3s. Don't boost the treble with the custom sleeves at all, and it sounds right.

Oct 29, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #2,429 of 4,413
i think alot of ppl boost the treble on the um3x right? i do , but only a little

Oct 29, 2009 at 10:56 AM Post #2,430 of 4,413
Me too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back