Westone UM3X Thread
Sep 10, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #2,056 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemosan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello forumites. I've just purchased a set of UM3X going by the recommendations of fellow members on this forum. Well, actually I purchased the Nuforce NE-7M first because I needed a replacement for my old Shure e3. Although great for the price point I thought they were too bass heavy with very recessed mids. And the left bud started to fail only after one week.

So I decided to find another pair of IEMs and after many hours reading the posts on Head-Fi I went and purchased the UM3X. The box was shrink wrapped but I didn't check the contents at the shop to see if everything was in order. When I begun unpacking it at home I flipped open the front cover but I couldn't see the phones through the window because the tray contents were not rotated the correct position to see them. Strange I thought, and maybe they were previously opened... Anyway after opening the box and taking the phones out I immediately noticed the right bud had a scuff mark on the black plastic part below the Westone name. Its like someone had taken a file and filed a mark on it. Also glue residue is visible around the cable relief and the nozzle.

I was surprised, and shocked, seeing this. A top of the range and expensive phone with extremely bad build quality. It seems this has already been mentioned in previous posts in this thread. However, those posts were several months ago, and one would think Westone would have improved their production quality by now. The quality control date is written as 7/09, which I presume is July 2009, so my phones are quite recently built. Does anyone else's UM3X have such bad build quality? I've read this entire thread and its only been mentioned once on page 42.

Regarding the QC paper slips. One was an original inside the foam tips bag, while the other was a photocopy bundled with the rest of the documentation. However the initials of the inspector is different on each of them. Is this normal?

Also apart from a yellow errata sheet saying the UM3X specs on the box are wrong (which are the same as the errata), the documentation does not mention the UM3X at all and the front of my warranty card has a picture of the Clear UM2, not a UM3X. Is this just a standard warranty card for all Westone products, or have I been given the wrong card?

I'm a little bit worried with all this. Do I have a fake? They sure don't look or, more importantly, sound fake. Are the UM3X the only phones which have clear front and black back? Could they have been previously used, returned, and re-shrink wrapped? I have bought them from an authorised Westone reseller (listed on the Westone website) so they should be genuine. Am I just worrying too much after spending so much on them? I would appreciate if members could answer some of my queries. Please put my mind to rest so I can enjoy these amazing phones!

Oh, and the sound? They sound like aural sex.
darthsmile.gif

I recently bought a pair of um3x's used from a forum member. That member said they were bought new only 2 weeks previously. The left earphone was missing some of the support area around the cable and part of the clear plastic had been chipped entirely away. Obviously someone had tried to disassemble the earpiece. Perhaps the factory trying to repair the infamous rattle and then repackage the phones as new... who knows?
Sandy

Sep 10, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #2,057 of 4,413
Quote:

Hello forumites. I've just purchased a set of UM3X going by the recommendations of fellow members on this forum. Well, actually I purchased the Nuforce NE-7M first because I needed a replacement for my old Shure e3. Although great for the price point I thought they were too bass heavy with very recessed mids. And the left bud started to fail only after one week.

So I decided to find another pair of IEMs and after many hours reading the posts on Head-Fi I went and purchased the UM3X. The box was shrink wrapped but I didn't check the contents at the shop to see if everything was in order. When I begun unpacking it at home I flipped open the front cover but I couldn't see the phones through the window because the tray contents were not rotated the correct position to see them. Strange I thought, and maybe they were previously opened... Anyway after opening the box and taking the phones out I immediately noticed the right bud had a scuff mark on the black plastic part below the Westone name. Its like someone had taken a file and filed a mark on it. Also glue residue is visible around the cable relief and the nozzle.

I was surprised, and shocked, seeing this. A top of the range and expensive phone with extremely bad build quality. It seems this has already been mentioned in previous posts in this thread. However, those posts were several months ago, and one would think Westone would have improved their production quality by now. The quality control date is written as 7/09, which I presume is July 2009, so my phones are quite recently built. Does anyone else's UM3X have such bad build quality? I've read this entire thread and its only been mentioned once on page 42.

Regarding the QC paper slips. One was an original inside the foam tips bag, while the other was a photocopy bundled with the rest of the documentation. However the initials of the inspector is different on each of them. Is this normal?

Also apart from a yellow errata sheet saying the UM3X specs on the box are wrong (which are the same as the errata), the documentation does not mention the UM3X at all and the front of my warranty card has a picture of the Clear UM2, not a UM3X. Is this just a standard warranty card for all Westone products, or have I been given the wrong card?

I'm a little bit worried with all this. Do I have a fake? They sure don't look or, more importantly, sound fake. Are the UM3X the only phones which have clear front and black back? Could they have been previously used, returned, and re-shrink wrapped? I have bought them from an authorised Westone reseller (listed on the Westone website) so they should be genuine. Am I just worrying too much after spending so much on them? I would appreciate if members could answer some of my queries. Please put my mind to rest so I can enjoy these amazing phones!

darthsmile.gif

Can you PM me some pics of the glue and "scuff" marks.

The QC sheets, seperate teams do the tip baggies and the final packaging, so that is why you see that.

The yellow paper should have been removed from the packaging once we got the box fixed, I'll mention that to the team.

The warranty card is just a generic one we use. No sense printing a separate one for each product. :)

Sep 10, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #2,058 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The UM3x isn't exactly neutral either. The mids and bass are elevated when compared to the rest of the spectrum. Vocals ring loud and clear and the bass thumps.
I would definitely regard them as colored.

I think the UM3x sounds a lot more neutral than its frequency response would suggest. It has really good tone, and a lot of midrange-centric instruments and vocals come out very lifelike and realistic on it. The treble is definitely recessed though, and things that require a lot of treble energy aren't quite as accurate (cymbals, brass, etc.). But this also reduces ear fatigue, and is probably intentional given the purpose of this thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingfrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me "accurate" is necessary for Mixing and Mastering and boring and lifeless for pleasure listening... Singers are a whole lot more pumped up by cans that deliver enhanced freq ranges over "accurate" ones. Accuracy in the listening for pleasure world is over rated. IMO

If the sound is lifeless, it isn't accurate. Life is in the music to begin with. Do you enjoy live music? Does live music sound boring, analytical, devoid of life? If a system isn't able to replicate the tone, warmth, impact, fluidity, all the things that give life to live music, then it isn't accurate, pure and simple.

The UM3x isn't lifeless, far from it. It is, however, a bit polite. The W3 does sound more energetic, but then again the W3 is a pain to fit properly. When the fit is right it sounds very good, otherwise you'll have to put up with boomy bass and piercing highs. But at its best I think the UM3x is still better, though it's close.

Sep 10, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #2,060 of 4,413
Quote:

darthsmile.gif

This may sound dumb, but when I got mine, I just opened the box, extracted the phones, put on 3/4 modded Complys and still haven't taken a closeup look at the UM3Xs. I know, dumb. But they sound so good. I will get out my reading specs tonight and take a closer look. So far, they haven't fallen apart or anything, so that's good.

Sep 11, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #2,061 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmic Fool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats with your purchase, clasam! I believe the complys (esp. the medium size) have the best bass. Lossless-files seem to enhance the slam in the lows too. Maybe you could give that a try.

Thanks, I'll give the meds a shot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed on the custom sleeves, Custom slevees make bass a little more cleaner and deeper. I am very happy using the UM3Xs with D10, nice and natural sounding. EQ or amp with bass boost might do the trick, to get some more punchier bass.

Yeah, amping definitely solidifies the lower end and adds a bit of pow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
W3s are larger, but it's more inside the ear than inside the ear canal. Both fit me well, but the UM3X are an easier fit for most. Not trying to convince you to get the W3s, because they are very finicky IEMs, much more than the UM3X in my view. But the W3, with good fit and a tip that doesn't cause sibilance (a problem some owners had, including me) has a much more extended, deeper bass, and the now much mentioned mid-bass hump (read about it on the W3 thread). I just wanted to have a more balanced sound, and didn't want to use EQ (with the modded tri-flanges, I had to EQ the W3s on the high end).

Hope this helps. The UM3X are just not a bass-focused IEM.

Okay, gotcha. I'll probably stick with the UM3Xs, for now. After a couple of hrs they get a bit uncomfortable, so sounds like the W3s wouldn't be any improvement there.

Thanks again everyone

Sep 11, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #2,062 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by scrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently bought a pair of um3x's used from a forum member. That member said they were bought new only 2 weeks previously. The left earphone was missing some of the support area around the cable and part of the clear plastic had been chipped entirely away. Obviously someone had tried to disassemble the earpiece. Perhaps the factory trying to repair the infamous rattle and then repackage the phones as new... who knows?
Sandy

If the earpiece was taken apart at our labs, new shells are used. PM me some photos so I can see what's up.

Sep 11, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #2,063 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by clasam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, I'll give the meds a shot.

Yeah, amping definitely solidifies the lower end and adds a bit of pow.

Okay, gotcha. I'll probably stick with the UM3Xs, for now. After a couple of hrs they get a bit uncomfortable, so sounds like the W3s wouldn't be any improvement there.

Thanks again everyone

Not sure if you tried this or not, but I find that among the potential sleeves for max comfort, I favor the Klipsch gels (single flange) that you get with Klipsch IEMs. You can get them separate from Klipsch, for $13 shipped I think. I use the larges, and they really are a nice match with the UM3X in terms of both SQ and comfort. Some disagree on the SQ front, but I have tried them many times and they sound excellent to me. I may even buy a 5-pack myself, for use with the S4s, and would be glad to ship you a pair when I get them, gratis. I don't need 5 more pair anyway. Just PM me your mailing address. I have the custom UM56s on order for the UM3X, so no longer will need the gels for that purpose, but I do use them with the S4.

Sep 11, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #2,064 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you PM me some pics of the glue and "scuff" marks.

The QC sheets, seperate teams do the tip baggies and the final packaging, so that is why you see that.

The yellow paper should have been removed from the packaging once we got the box fixed, I'll mention that to the team.

The warranty card is just a generic one we use. No sense printing a separate one for each product. :)

Here are some photos of my UM3X. The scuff mark is clearly visible and the glue around the cable relief and nozzle can also be seen.

p0wderh0und23, I do hope you forward this to the QC dept. since this sort of build quality is clearly not acceptable, even on a $40 phone, never mind one that costs nearly 10x as much. If only these phones were built to the same quality as the sound they produce...

Lets just hope like tstarn06 said, they wont fall apart soon.

Sep 11, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #2,065 of 4,413
Quote:

Here are some photos of my UM3X. The scuff mark is clearly visible and the glue around the cable relief and nozzle can also be seen.

p0wderh0und23, I do hope you forward this to the QC dept. since this sort of build quality is clearly not acceptable, even on a $40 phone, never mind one that costs nearly 10x as much. If only these phones were built to the same quality as the sound they produce...

Lets just hope like tstarn06 said, they wont fall apart soon.

Yeah, that's not cool. Looks like someone got a little heavy on the glue. I want to get those replaced for you. They should not look like that. PM me your contact info and I will get an RMA issued for you.

Sep 11, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #2,067 of 4,413
Quote:

I was surprised, and shocked, seeing this. A top of the range and expensive phone with extremely bad build quality. It seems this has already been mentioned in previous posts in this thread. However, those posts were several months ago, and one would think Westone would have improved their production quality by now. The quality control date is written as 7/09, which I presume is July 2009, so my phones are quite recently built. Does anyone else's UM3X have such bad build quality?

Yeah, me. The right earpiece has a glue mark on the clear shell along with some minor scuff mark close to the base of the IEM. Pretty shoddy workmanship was my first impression but they do sound great.

[edit] Actually, your glue residue picture looks exactly like my left earpiece.

Sep 11, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #2,068 of 4,413
I'm just about to pull the trigger on a pair of UM3Xs. I've been reading the posts here on the forum and they seem to be the ones that are gonna make me smile the most.

Has anyone used them at the gym? How are they holding up to the use & sweat?

Is there a opamp / buffer combo for the D10 that anyone has had spectacular results with ? Is there a combo that seems to be consistently rated high by users?

Sep 12, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #2,069 of 4,413
I found OPA2350/AD8616 to be a great combo with UM3X. the topkit (non class A) hisses a bit. I have not tried the class A topkit, but it apparently does fix this issue somewhat. EL2801 is also a good buffer. sooner or later I'll get to work soldering up the class A version of both OPA2350 and AD744

Sep 12, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #2,070 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found OPA2350/AD8616 to be a great combo with UM3X. the topkit (non class A) hisses a bit. I have not tried the class A topkit, but it apparently does fix this issue somewhat. EL2801 is also a good buffer. sooner or later I'll get to work soldering up the class A version of both OPA2350 and AD744

I will second that in terms of it being a great combo for my ES3X, and they are somewhat similar IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back