Westone UM3X Thread
Sep 13, 2009 at 9:30 AM Post #2,086 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Dying_Wren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey. The soundstage it appears was greatly affected by my unwise use of a nuforce icon mobile. It was horrid how forward and enclosed the music became. Listening unamped from my cowon D2+ the soundstage is adequate. It's impressive with certain songs but too close on others. Could definitely be larger. On almost all songs I can clearly tell that most of the music is still well within my head (almost boxed in) unlike with the IE8s. It however appears the IE8s sacrifice isolation for soundstage which is quite unacceptable IMO.

Amping the UM3X doesn't seem to help a whole lot. I mean, I could bring out more bass with my govibe magnum but that's not the point of the UM3X which strikes a very good balance on bass. Some genres need bass and others don't but I can't have it coloring my mids. A bit more sub-bass would be nice though.The soundstage and SQ also appears to be the same with the magnum. You'd probably need to go higher up to get something which will make a difference. The D10 seems to be recommended here but is well beyond what I'd pay for for an amp.

Oh and I barely notice the dropoff in treble if there's any. I haven't been tainted by the ety sound so treble is not something that duly concerns me.

EDIT: I also listen at 8/50 volume so its not as if the D2+ is struggling to output the sound.

Thanks for your response. The reports of this phone's "small", "closed-in" soundstage has always been the deal breaker for me. It's a shame because it appears to do everything else so very well.

Sep 13, 2009 at 9:36 AM Post #2,087 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your response. The reports of this phone's "small", "closed-in" soundstage has always been the deal breaker for me. It's a shame because it appears to do everything else so very well.

Its not too bad. Depends mostly on what genre you listen to. Generally, I find jazz alright, symphonic metal amazing, rock squashed and unhearable sometimes (could be the recording), ambient pretty good, pop alright and vocals-mostly pretty good.

This is mostly why I'm seriously considering going for a custom remodelling.

EDIT: Oh and I'm coming from the IE8s which makes me a little biased in terms of soundstage. Other's are plenty happy with theirs although Zalithan's claim that the IE8s have a smaller soundstage than the UM3X is probably off a bit.

Sep 14, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #2,088 of 4,413
Me: Hello, my name it Tony and I'm a Head-Fi addict...

*Applause*

You: Welcome, Tony- is there something you'd like to share with the group today?

Me: Yeah, I suppose I could share a little
ksc75smile.gif

First let me start by saying that it's truly amazing how different ears interpret different things. I've spent WAY too much time reading through this thread (as well as many others) and it's just plain interesting to see how many different sets of ears hear the same product with so many varying opinions. I mean, all in all many of the opinions on the UM3X remain consistent but what we all interpret can be intriguing to compare.

About what I like- neutrality. I really only want to hear what the musician intended for me to hear. I never want a headphone, source or anything else to flavor the music. If I want to change what I'm hearing I can always use an equalizer if I so choose. I just want the most accurate representation of what was recorded so I normally go for neutrality. Having said that, I have had my share of colorful phones. The UE super.Fi Pros come to mind. I liked them actually. They were what most people refer to as "fun" but in the end not what I wanted. Too much THUMP and unnatural presentation for my ears. You can see in my signature which different headphones I have tried and what I currently own, if you wish.

After trying a number of universal IEMs I did wind up taking the custom route and purchased the UE10 pros some time back. Honestly, I couldn't be happier with them. I'm sure they've probably been bested by now (probably by the JH-13s) but I can't say I have any complaints. When I bought them I was told by Jeannette from UE that they were sometimes described as "cold" because of their neutrality. My response to her was "Perfect! Where do I send the money". As many of you have stated in earlier posts, though, I don't ALWAYS want to use them and risk breaking or losing them. Since then I've been in search of my ideal "backup" pair of universals. I was pretty happy with my UE Triple Fi's for some time but I had this little bug called upgraditis that kept stinging me as I slept. I'd wake up wanting to try MORE. Plus, the fit of the UE Trips, while I did get a good seal, were just somewhat annoying due to their size. The seal was there but I did find myself fidgeting with them here and there (unlike the UM3Xers which I will get to sooon- I promise). The sound from the Trips was excellent but not my ideal, I suppose. I wasn't 100% happy.

So... from the Trips I decided to give the Sennheiser IE8s a whirl. I'm not going to say anything here that anyone else hasn't said. I REALLY did like them. The soundstage was amazing. I felt like I was listening to my HD600s some of the time. I really WANTED these to be the ones. Burn in helped immensely. After trying MANY tips and combinations of sandwiching tips together I finally got what I was looking for in terms of seal and isolation. Isolation being one of the IE8s weaker points, of course. Still, something was missing. Or SHOULD I say that something was just a little too prominent. I bet you can all guess what that "something" was, right? Yes, friends... BASS. I hate to throw out Head-Fi terms in excess but I am FAR from being a "BASSHEAD". I think back to my Shure E4s and just how the treble SANG to me. Loved that- too bad they didn't have any bass. The IE8s, though, holy CRAP! Talk about a bass driven phone. The bottom end on these things really dominated everything I listened to. Sometimes it really was quite enjoyable but most of the time it was just too much. And yeah, I had the bass notch on the lowest setting. Like I said, there were things I really did enjoy about the IE8s. I loved that airy feeling of them instead of the music feeling like it was being crammed into my ears. It was a pleasant, laid back, refreshing and really cool listening experience. The highs of my favorite electric guitar parts or soaring violins just left me a little underwhelmed. Something felt amiss and I was pretty sure it was the crystal clear highs. I was really trying to embrace these things, especially since they were new. I wanted to love them but when I was honest with myself I just didn't love them. I liked them. A lot. It was a crush, not a long lasting marriage. So, I went back to the drawing board (a.k.a. the Head-Fi forums).

Well, this led me to the Westone UM3X's. First off let me say this- some of you don't give much compliment to their "WOW factor". These ears of mine disagree HEAVILY. The minute I put them in I said, "Um... WOW". Seriously! I was floored. Talk about accuracy AND punch. These things have both. Nothing is bloated. Everything is separated nicely. Everything is represented beautifully- highs, mids and lows. Just a VERY balanced and neutral/natural sounding IEM. Oh, and just so you do know exactly what I am listening to- I have an iPod Classic, RSA P-51 Mustang, ALO Super Cotton Dock.

I will say this... I've only had these since Friday (which, with the new math is only 3 days). Obviously a LOT more listening needs to be done. Amped/unamped, different kinds of music, different bit rates, different sleeves, etc. The thing is, I can't stop listening. I haven't been THIS addicted since I first got my UE10s. I wake up and want to listen to them. I go to sleep with them on because I don't want to take them out.

What have I been listening to? You name it. From Led Zeppelin to Pat Metheny. From Vivaldi to Mos Def. From Yes to Kraftwerk. From... oh you get the idea. Variety. And the thing is, I have loved everything. There hasn't been any genre where I said to my self, "Self, THIS music is probably not the best idea for these phones". It all sounds fantastic. Why? Because I am hearing what I'm SUPPOSED to be hearing. What the artist intended the listener to hear. It's all I ever wanted.

I guess the only thing I'm yet to completely resolve is which sleeves to use "ideally". I started with the long Complys. I must have long ear canals because they fit fine. Very comfortable. Now I'm onto the Shure soft flex silicone thingamabobs which were leftovers from when I had the Shure E4cs some years back. Next I'll be giving the olives a try. Everyone's a critic with the sleeves, eh, or so I've read. Maybe I have universal ear canals because they all sound pretty darned good to me. The Comply's definitely accentuate the bass- that's for sure. I just can't tell yet if they do indeed take away from the highs. Need more testing. The Shure silicones that I have in right now seem to have a, well, lighter sound to them. Not as stuffy as the Complys. We'll see how the Olives do next. I'm also going to get some Klipsch tips from a friend who has spares. The "GELS", ya know? Crossing my fingers.

In summary.... these things are the BEES KNEES! I love them. I'm listening to them as I write this right now. It's kind of cool to read this thread or contribute to it with them IN. Ha. Currently playing: Steve Hackett- Genesis Revisited- Dance On a Volcano. Pretty cool.

I think I've found them. I can't see myself selling these (anytime SOON- haha). Hell, I may wind up listening to these more than the UE10s for a while. No clue. All I know is that they really woke me up in a great way. And for those of you, although the list is short, who said that they "just didn't make me smile"- well, that sucks. I believe you but it still sucks because I've practically been smiling for three solid days now.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. It all helped me a great deal. Thanks to the brave readers who actually read through this looooong War & Peace-like post. I hope you enjoyed it. And thanks to Head-Fi for making this addiction come to fruition. My wallet, well, it's in intensive care at the moment. It'll pull through, though.

-T

Sep 14, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #2,089 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyfiore75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Me: Hello, my name it Tony and I'm a Head-Fi addict...

*Applause*

You: Welcome, Tony- is there something you'd like to share with the group today?

Me: Yeah, I suppose I could share a little
ksc75smile.gif

After trying a number of universal IEMs I did wind up taking the custom route and purchased the UE10 pros some time back. Honestly, I couldn't be happier with them. I'm sure they've probably been bested by now (probably by the JH-13s) but I can't say I have any complaints. When I bought them I was told by Jeannette from UE that they were sometimes described as "cold" because of their neutrality. My response to her was "Perfect! Where do I send the money".

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. It all helped me a great deal. Thanks to the brave readers who actually read through this while War & Peace-like post. I hope you enjoyed it. And thanks to Head-Fi for making this addiction come to fruition. My wallet, well, it's in intensive care at the moment. It'll pull through, though.

-T

Great post. I would agree the UM3X would make a great backup pair of IEM for a person with UE10Pro. Also, Jeanette is great to work with at UE, and was very helpful with me for my UE11Pro this summer. People like Doug (P0wderh0und23) and Jeanette are great assets to companies like Westone and UE.

Sep 14, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #2,090 of 4,413
Thanks. I've interacted with Jeanette from UE more than a few times over the years and she couldn't be any more pleasant, helpful or professional than she already is. Truly a joy to speak with.

In regards to my post- I just thought I owed this thread something from my own experience after taking so much useful information from it. I hope it is helpful in whatever way it can be for those who choose to read it.

In addition, one thing that i did NOT mention (how is that possible with the friggin' SIZE of that posting?) was comfort. These things are amazingly comfortable. I'm not exaggerating when I say that they are definitely THE most comfortable universal IEMs I've ever worn. You forget they're even in your ears.

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:00 AM Post #2,091 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyfiore75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In addition, one thing that i did NOT mention (how is that possible with the friggin' SIZE of that posting?) was comfort. These things are amazingly comfortable. I'm not exaggerating when I say that they are definitely THE most comfortable universal IEMs I've ever worn. You forget they're even in your ears.

but you haven't tried the shure olives and the 3/4 comply mods. haha. UM3X is very useful for getting yourself lost in a separate space-time continuum.

Sep 14, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #2,092 of 4,413
Excellent review Tony. Makes me even happier I moved from the W3s to the UM3X, because I have had the same basic experience (even the IE8 part of it). I have taken the "custom" route and am waiting for the UM56 sleeves, and from most reports, I have something even more to look forward to.

Also, will be interestyed in your take on the Klipsch gels (large single flange is the size I am using). I find them to make the UM3X both amazing SQ-wise and even more comfortable, if that's possible. Wonder how you will see it.

Sep 14, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #2,093 of 4,413
excellent post tony; JH13 and UM3X, I cant see myself needing anything else for portable for quite some time to come. natural, comfortable; incredible!! I too was completely in love with them from the , moment I popped them in; only the 13's were able to pull me away.

Sep 14, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #2,094 of 4,413
I'm incredibly jealous of you guys. The copy I had didn't sound like $300+ IEMs to my ears, unfortunately. Muffled to oblivion with any tip I've used (complies; Klipsch ear gels).

Could be fit issues. Could be that I have a defective pair. Hopefully, my replacement pair will fare better to my ears than the last one.

If it is fit issues, I'll have to go to the UM56 route.

Sep 14, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #2,095 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm incredibly jealous of you guys. The copy I had didn't sound like $300+ IEMs to my ears, unfortunately. Muffled to oblivion with any tip I've used (complies; Klipsch ear gels).

Could be fit issues. Could be that I have a defective pair. Hopefully, my replacement pair will fare better to my ears than the last one.

Sounds like fit issues. Tis a shame indeed but rather odd as the UM3X seems to fit most people well. I guess you have unorthodox ears.

You'll be wanting a UM56 anyway even if the fit was right from the start so no loss.

And neat review tonyfiore. Echoes much of what I thought about going from the IE8s to the UM3X.

Sep 14, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #2,096 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Most likely the tips issues, I have used mostly with complies and can not believe how much um56 can improve. In fact it is so good that I took my lazy time to get the impression for my jh13 order.

Sep 14, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #2,097 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most likely the tips issues, I have used mostly with complies and can not believe how much um56 can improve. In fact it is so good that I took my lazy time to get the impression for my jh13 order.

indeed, but once JH13 arrive the UM3X will not get much of a look in
wink.gif
trust me. as glorious as UM3X plus UM56 is, it does not possess the magic of JH13 IMO. I seriously have only listened to mine when asked for a comparison to the JH. that being said I feel spoiled that I have such a fantastic back up IEM for times I dont want to bring the 13's with me; when/if that day ever comes
tongue.gif

Sep 14, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #2,099 of 4,413
Haha. The UM3xs are far too expensive for a minimum wage student like myself. I plan to use another IEM (possibly the Phonaks) as my throw arounds.

I'm very insecure wearing the UM3xs outside. Besides the price tag, I think it's the rather frail cables that make me feel this way. I really wish that it was replaceable.

Sep 14, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #2,100 of 4,413
lol, so you reckon you arent going to use your JH13 for travel
wink.gif
we'll see about that ;P they are literally MADE FOR travel the isolation and comfort makes them perfect for flying; just make sure to alow the pressure build up to escape or you'll end up with your eye's popping instead of your ears like I did on a recent flight to sydney
eek.gif
ended up with a nasty headache. I guess thats a good sign for how good my seal is, but I cant say happy thoughts were running through my mind at the time
frown.gif

but yes, my UM3X arent going anywhere either; though I would be lying if it hadnt crossed my mind. I thought of selling the westones and getting some IE7 or something cheaper that is easier to justify having as a spare.

I've already given away my SE530 temporarily as I simply dont use them at all and my good friend was using ibuds; that wont do at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back