Westone UM3X Thread
Sep 14, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #2,101 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha. The UM3xs are far too expensive for a minimum wage student like myself. I plan to use another IEM (possibly the Phonaks) as my throw arounds.

I'm very insecure wearing the UM3xs outside. Besides the price tag, I think it's the rather frail cables that make me feel this way. I really wish that it was replaceable.

When I was a student, many many moons ago, I only have Sony and Aiwa headphones.

Sep 14, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #2,102 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, so you reckon you arent going to use your JH13 for travel
wink.gif

We will see how long that will last me, I have 3 business trips for the rest of the year that is planned. Most likely I will have both UM3x and JH13 on my first trip after I receive it to compare isolation and comparison.

Sep 14, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #2,103 of 4,413
Quote:

I'm very insecure wearing the UM3xs outside. Besides the price tag, I think it's the rather frail cables that make me feel this way. I really wish that it was replaceable.

The cable of the UM3X is anything but frail. Pros are using the same cable on stage night after night. It's also quite cost effective to get the cable replaced if needed.

Sep 14, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #2,104 of 4,413
That's good to hear.

I have a question though regarding the cable.

The helical cord on my copy untangled partially near the center. I don't have it with me right now so I can't photograph it. I'm wondering whether that untangling is normal? I was very, very careful with them and store them by slowly wrapping them around my hand and putting them in the supplied case.

Thanks.

Sep 14, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #2,105 of 4,413
Quote:

That's good to hear.

I have a question though regarding the cable.

The helical cord on my copy untangled partially near the center. I don't have it with me right now so I can't photograph it. I'm wondering whether that untangling is normal? I was very, very careful with them and store them by slowly wrapping them around my hand and putting them in the supplied case.

Thanks.

It is not. Please PM me your info and I'll get an RMA going for you.

Sep 15, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #2,106 of 4,413
I have to say I am impressed with these. Unfortunately I sent mine back today to get replaced. One thing I noticed was the seperation. I read back aways where someone was saying they weren't getting much seperation but I'm really pleased. It got better when I hooked them into my Hornet for the first time.I don't see how they will ever take the place of my full size headphones but I am definately sold on them for portables.

Sep 15, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #2,107 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just make sure to allow the pressure build up to escape or you'll end up with your eye's popping instead of your ears like I did on a recent flight to sydney
eek.gif
ended up with a nasty headache.

qusp, thanks for the warning. Exactly what is the best way to allow the pressure build up to escape? By easing the earpieces out a bit? On descent only? I fly a lot and need some coaching! Thanks.

I have an audiologist's appointment on the 28th and I am trying to triple check these are for me. I'll have to rough it with UM3Xs until then!

Sep 15, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #2,108 of 4,413
For those of you keeping tabs this is day #4 for me with the UM3X. Days 1 and 2 were dedicated to the long Comply tips, which I did happen to enjoy very much. I did not notice rolled off highs the way some have described.

Days 3 and 4 were dedicated to the Shure silicone flex sleeves. I like these as well but if I had to choose between these and the Complys I think I'd have to give the edge to the Complys. Why? Well, I just think they create a more isolating seal as well as providing just a hint of warmth to the overall sound that I did not hear with the Shure silicones. I have to do more of an A/B direct comparison but from what i can tell I think my ears like the Comply tips just a tad more.

I also tried, VERY briefly, the modded tri-flanges. These are so not for me. I've never liked tri or bi-flanges. They just don't feel right in my ears. The isolation isn't as good as the two aforementioned sleeves and they just feel weird.

Tonight I'm going to go with the Shure Olives and then later, when I can get them from my friend, the Klipsch gels.

So for ME... the score is (out of a possible 5):

Large Complys- 4.9
Large Flex Sleeves- 4.7
Olives: tbd
Klipsch Gels: tbd

Sep 15, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #2,110 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yay. After exactly 3 months, 4 refits, my perfect UM56 finally arrived.
o2smile.gif

Now back to enjoying my music.

Congratz! well....sort of you know what i mean.

Sep 15, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #2,111 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by saitoh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suspect it's primarily fit. I have trouble with the comply tips and gave up after the first night, called to get impressions the next morning. Once I could get a balanced (between left and right) and remotely tonally balanced sound to happen, any slight pressure on the driver housing caused a 90% loss in all sound so I'm just squeeking by on the foam at the moment. Once or twice while trying to get them in I caught really good top-end, but I could never get a balanced (volume) to come out between L/R with that, let alone balanced (tonal) sound between L/R...

Here's hoping for the best out of the UM56s, thanks for the note.

They arrived at lunch and I noticed that the low end seems to extend slightly deeper, but it wasn't as prominant as with the foams. The top end returned a bit as well. Overall, I notice that they don't seem to be as distant as well, not quite as intimate as my ER-6s but I think that was due to the presence bump. Overall, I'm happy with the sonic attributes of the um3x phones with the 56 tips.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yay. After exactly 3 months, 4 refits, my perfect UM56 finally arrived.
o2smile.gif

Now back to enjoying my music.

Ouch, took me 1 resend. The left ear is still tighter then my musicians/stage plugs, and became "fatigueing" after 20 minutes or so but I attribute that to the compound used, and not necessarily a bad fit. I've gotta play with the rotation and see if there is a better way to orient the plug (my right one I played with a bit and it improved), but I think I'll keep this set as they both seal (especially the left) without getting past the second bend in the ear.

A note to anyone considering this. I'd had impressions made before for musicians plugs a number of times. These are plugs that typically get past the second bend in the ear canal. I personally wouldn't advise anyone to do this with the um56 tips. Get deep impressions, but get "standard" tips (I ordered mine at the same time as a reshelled plug so I think I got deep tips the first time, my bad). In the back of my mind, I wonder what it would have been like to get the ottoblast (which is what the plugs are made of) instead of the harder vinyl.

Sep 15, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #2,112 of 4,413
Well, I just kept sending them back until I have the same feelings in both ears (and at one point, one side was actually tighter than the other). Maybe I'm just too picky. I switched to the octoblast after the 3rd refit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back