Westone UM3X Thread
Sep 18, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #2,131 of 4,413
Just placed an order for the small Klipsch ear gels. I get the best fit from the smallest Shure flex tips (grey), but the material after a while gets a bit fatiguing on my ears. So I'm hoping the ear gels are kinder to my ear canal (and that I ordered the correct size based on my experience with the Shure flexes).

If the ear gels don't do it for me I'll probably have to spring for the UM56 with softer material option, but I'd really like to not spend that much money after dropping 4 c-notes on the UM3X.

Sep 19, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #2,132 of 4,413
Well, after reading most of this thread I pulled the trigger on the UM3X today.

I liked the triple fi's but their size hurt my ears. I didn't respond well to the Se530 although I recognize they are a top iem, but their sonic sig is not for me.

My home rig speakers are Watt/Puppys so I am used to a monitor sound.
Also, being a professional musician. I can use the UM3X on gigs as well.

I'll post impressions when I get them, I suspect I'll have nothing new to add to the already in depth descriptions posted.

I spent the last year away from head fi and in 1 week I bought the UM3X and got on the list for a Shadow
Curse you head fi
wink.gif

Sep 19, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #2,134 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does amping the UM3X provide an improvement comparable to moving from universal tips to the UM56? (assume that you already have the UM56)

Depends on the SQ (DAC section, AMP section) and sound signature of the AMP. Amps are not created equally. That why amp and phones synergy is very crucial.

Example: Based on what I have
UM3Xs + Nuforce Icon Mobile (DAC mode) = too forward mid => bad synegy
smily_headphones1.gif

UM3Xs + D10 (DAC mode) = Very good bass and treble extention + very detailed presentation => very nice synergy

I also tried amping the X1000's hp out to D10; and the reult is NOT so impressive, eventhough both devices are good with UM3Xs when using it individually.

So, whether is good or not to amp is depends on the amp + phone synergy and source.

Thank you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 19, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #2,136 of 4,413
Thank you very much. I already have a pair of UM56 and found it a splendid investment saved the 3 months refits period.

I was thinking about amping as a mean to fix flaws in the sound signature of a DAP but I am not willing to add a bunk (LOD+amp) just to get a marginal increase in SQ (I don't expect a magical improvement in SQ by any means). So given the improvement of upgrading from universal tips to the UM56 as a reference, which I do not consider to be marginal and anything less than that is, should I invest in an amp?

Sep 19, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #2,137 of 4,413
Agree, sometime DAP+LOD+AMP did not give significant improvements to UM3Xs. But amping do give some performance boost to other phones, such as PFEs.

If you really want better sound improvement, I recommend you the DAC+AMP, because you may get a better DAC, better AMP section with much powerful hp output. IMHO.

Sep 19, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #2,139 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Example: Based on what I have
UM3Xs + Nuforce Icon Mobile (DAC mode) = too forward mid => bad synegy
smily_headphones1.gif

UM3Xs + D10 (DAC mode) = Very good bass and treble extention + very detailed presentation => very nice synergy

I also tried amping the X1000's hp out to D10; and the reult is NOT so impressive, eventhough both devices are good with UM3Xs when using it individually.

Thank you.
smily_headphones1.gif

This is exactly the information I am looking for. Thanks bakhtiar!

Sep 19, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #2,140 of 4,413
Hmm... As I posted earlier, I thought the UM3Xs were awful until i realized that i was running them out through a nuforce icon mobile (dac mode). The problem is, I actually liked the mids very much with the nuforce. They still sound relatively lifeless a week later. I can't put up with the rest of the shortcomings of the nuforce so that has been sold already.

Should I be looking at another earphone? Getting a proper amp/DAC? Customization/UM56?

Sep 19, 2009 at 10:36 AM Post #2,141 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Dying_Wren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... As I posted earlier, I thought the UM3Xs were awful until i realized that i was running them out through a nuforce icon mobile (dac mode). The problem is, I actually liked the mids very much with the nuforce. They still sound relatively lifeless a week later. I can't put up with the rest of the shortcomings of the nuforce so that has been sold already.

Should I be looking at another earphone? Getting a proper amp/DAC? Customization/UM56?

I think customs can satisfy you more.
dt880smile.png

tried RSA predator and mustang with my um3x, not much difference. maybe a ibasso D10? since its so versatile.
beerchug.gif

Sep 19, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #2,142 of 4,413
Yes, try other amps as much as possible. It will nourish and broadening your listening experiences/knowledge.

I am using D10 (DAC mode) because, it is the best source that I have around me
smily_headphones1.gif
. Also it is portable and flexible. I can change several it's sound signature by opamps rolling So, actually D10 is not AN dac+amp, but it can be SEVERAL amps in one small package
smily_headphones1.gif
. That's why, our gurus/sifus, examples HeadphonAddict, qusp, jamato, hiflight,.... love their D10. If you read their views in D10's threads, you will know how good the D10 is.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you.

Sep 19, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #2,143 of 4,413
The D10 sounds interesting. I've got a Govibe Magnum which really doesn't add much to the accomplished UM3Xs.

Customization and a used (i never buy new) D10 will cost about the same for me. I'm guessing the former will do me more good as charlie suggests?

Sep 19, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #2,144 of 4,413
The D10 sounds interesting. I've got a Govibe Magnum which really doesn't add much to the accomplished UM3Xs.

Customization and a used (i never buy new) D10 will cost about the same for me. I'm guessing the former will do me more good as charlie suggests?

Sep 20, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #2,145 of 4,413
Would there be tons of hiss, using a P3+ and a LOD on these? They swint almost 9V. I know it depends on the buffers and opamps, but just to have a general idea..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back