Westone UM3X Thread
Sep 20, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #2,146 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Dying_Wren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D10 sounds interesting. I've got a Govibe Magnum which really doesn't add much to the accomplished UM3Xs.

Customization and a used (i never buy new) D10 will cost about the same for me. I'm guessing the former will do me more good as charlie suggests?

not exactly, if you want an amp. D10 should be useful and fun since alot of headfi-ers recommend as bakhtiar said. I cannot say which is better but IMO customs should give you more different resolution sound of um3x. comparing D10 is an enhancer only.

Sep 20, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #2,147 of 4,413
I'll see if I can pick up both then. Will be customs first I guess. Depends whether there's a D10 floating around somewhere for a reasonable price.

Thanks a lot
beerchug.gif

I'll post some impressions later when i get my customs/D10 hopefully.

Sep 20, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #2,148 of 4,413
Quote:

The D10 sounds interesting. I've got a Govibe Magnum which really doesn't add much to the accomplished UM3Xs.

Customization and a used (i never buy new) D10 will cost about the same for me. I'm guessing the former will do me more good as charlie suggests?

difficult question; I wouldnt go without either. if talking just an amp with the source you have already, then I would say custom would be the better choice (depending on the customs, because UM3X is a pretty amazing universal, but you are talking about UM right??) but if going for a dac/amp such as the D10, I would say the tide turns back the other way, because with D10 you are adding a high quality source as well; source is something that I find is undervalued on here and IMO is more important than amping and even in some cases the headphones themselves. I great source can transform otherwise fairly average headphones, but good headphones with a source that sounds like crud, sounds like an accurate rendition of crud
wink.gif

Sep 20, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #2,149 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
difficult question; I wouldnt go without either. if talking just an amp with the source you have already, then I would say custom would be the better choice (depending on the customs, because UM3X is a pretty amazing universal, but you are talking about UM right??) but if going for a dac/amp such as the D10, I would say the tide turns back the other way, because with D10 you are adding a high quality source as well; source is something that I find is undervalued on here and IMO is more important than amping and even in some cases the headphones themselves. I great source can transform otherwise fairly average headphones, but good headphones with a source that sounds like crud, sounds like an accurate rendition of crud
wink.gif

True that. I think why its undervalued is probably because its presumed that anyone browsing through these forums has at least an ipod or decent mp3 player. Anything more (imod, amp, etc) gives less value than upgrading the headphone/earphone. Of course at some point the head/earphone will be held back by the source but I mean, people are running JH13s straight out of sansa clips (wasn't HPA doing something like that?)

I'll probably use the D10 a lot as a DAC but I don't need to. I've come to use my rather forgiving HD555s straight out of my computer and do proper listening via my cowon D2+/UM3X. Its just a little bit of a hassle to shift music.

Sep 20, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #2,152 of 4,413
Quote:

True that. I think why its undervalued is probably because its presumed that anyone browsing through these forums has at least an ipod or decent mp3 player. Anything more (imod, amp, etc) gives less value than upgrading the headphone/earphone. Of course at some point the head/earphone will be held back by the source but I mean, people are running JH13s straight out of sansa clips (wasn't HPA doing something like that?)

I'll probably use the D10 a lot as a DAC but I don't need to. I've come to use my rather forgiving HD555s straight out of my computer and do proper listening via my cowon D2+/UM3X. Its just a little bit of a hassle to shift music.

yeah, i agreed.

i am also looking to use either ibasso D2+ or D10 as a DAC/amp via my computer with my ath-M50. hopefully i can audition to do comparison.
L3000.gif

Sep 20, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #2,153 of 4,413
Bought my UM3X for almost close to a week now. I am not a pro in IEMs but well here are my impressions.

I must say that the clarity offered by the UM3X is fantastic, I could easily picked out and separate each instrument at ease, however I do not like the vocals produced by the UM3X, it almost seemed like the singers are standing far away from me in every song.

Complementary, the instruments always seem to be playing just right next to me. As a vocalist by nature, I could make out what the singers were singing, however I could never really "feel" what they were singing. But it could be the fact that I am biased from a vocalist point of view.

I do realize that this is a UM3X appreciation thread, however does anyone feel the same way as me? just wanted to find out if there is a possibility that my earphones could be faulty?

Sep 20, 2009 at 11:25 AM Post #2,154 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by kokyao /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bought my UM3X for almost close to a week now. I am not a pro in IEMs but well here are my impressions.

I must say that the clarity offered by the UM3X is fantastic, I could easily picked out and separate each instrument at ease, however I do not like the vocals produced by the UM3X, it almost seemed like the singers are standing far away from me in every song.

Complementary, the instruments always seem to be playing just right next to me. As a vocalist by nature, I could make out what the singers were singing, however I could never really "feel" what they were singing. But it could be the fact that I am biased from a vocalist point of view.

I do realize that this is a UM3X appreciation thread, however does anyone feel the same way as me? just wanted to find out if there is a possibility that my earphones could be faulty?

It would be helpful to state what you're playing your music from, as well as what tips you're using. Different components affect the sound differently. Your comment is interesting because most owners here consider the UM3X as generally forward, and some may even say it's too forward, while you're hearing that they're not forward enough.

Sep 20, 2009 at 11:49 AM Post #2,155 of 4,413
I am playing from my DAP, Sony NW-HD5, love the SQ of this player as it is pretty accurate. No EQ or whatsoever.

I definitely could hear the voice but it seems like all the instruments are generally louder.. the piano.. the percussions.. the strings.. As a result, I could hear (but could not feel) the vocals.

You can practically imagine it as sitting about 3 to 4 rows away from the stage with the guitarist, drummers all right at the front and the singer standing at where the drummers are supposed to be (3 to 4 meters behind)

Anyway I am using the complys (long) with very good fit. Any suggestion how I can bring out the vocals without using an amp?

Just to add :

I previously owned Shure E2C, and I must say I absolutely loved the built quality of Westone UM3X. In my opinion, it is one of the most solid Universals in terms of built quality.
Really hope that it is just my set that has this backward sound, cause this UM3X is something I really wish to keep..

Sep 20, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #2,156 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would be helpful to state what you're playing your music from, as well as what tips you're using. Different components affect the sound differently. Your comment is interesting because most owners here consider the UM3X as generally forward, and some may even say it's too forward, while you're hearing that they're not forward enough.

Coming from how I didn't like most IEMs and headphones that people say "most neutral and detailed" or whatever, I think as players/performers ourselves, we have a different set of expectations than the pure listeners and concert-goers. Furthermore, acoustic instrument players (ok vocal is usually amped, BUT the performer himself still gets to hear more nuances than the listeners) have a set of expectations that is yet further away from the electric instrument listeners.

Nice to see fellow players/performers sharing their insights.. (although I already bought one to hear for myself
tongue.gif
Too late now)

Sep 20, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #2,157 of 4,413
Quote:

Anyway I am using the complys (long) with very good fit. Any suggestion how I can bring out the vocals without using an amp?

Do you have any other eartips you can try, NOT foam ones?

Sep 20, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #2,158 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by parrot5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have any other eartips you can try, NOT foam ones?

Yeah.. Maybe I could just be too biased on vocals. Anyway I do not have an other tips at the moment? What would you recommend for my case?

Sep 20, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #2,159 of 4,413
try Shure black foam (Olive) it is great. Comply take away some sparkle and brightness of mid and high of UM3X

Sep 20, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #2,160 of 4,413
Quote:

Yeah.. Maybe I could just be too biased on vocals. Anyway I do not have an other tips at the moment? What would you recommend for my case?

In my limited experience, I find foams to accentuate the bass (muddying the mids) and absorbing the highs (gone is the airy presentation), both going the opposite direction as vocalists want. I recall the translucent silicone tips (the translucent white, harder ones by Shure) tends to bring the bass down and accentuate the mids and highs a bit. Especially if you find the bass overpowering, try the translucent white tips.

Didn't recall anything special with the Shure's olives (the dark grey ones)... Guess they are middle of the road?

Sometimes what I do is put one kind of tips on my left ear, and use another kind on the right. Usually I find myself going for the brighter, less-bassy presentation though. On my Ety ER4S, I settled on the tri-flanges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back