Westone UM3X Thread
Sep 7, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #2,026 of 4,413
lol see I told you source was a big part of your problem; albeit in an indirect and poisonous way ;p

Sep 7, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #2,027 of 4,413
possibly the fault of the N91 instead of the nuforce, or both are equally guilty. I am not sure if pairing N91 to UM3X is such a good idea. Also, listening to better recorded material like well mastered old records will yield gains surpassing changing daps or amps.

I think people seldom give themselves enough time to fall in love with their new earphones only to diss it to get another new pair.

Sep 7, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #2,028 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol see I told you source was a big part of your problem; albeit in an indirect and poisonous way ;p

Well, its an effective way. Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by insomniax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
possibly the fault of the N91 instead of the nuforce, or both are equally guilty. I am not sure if pairing N91 to UM3X is such a good idea. Also, listening to better recorded material like well mastered old records will yield gains surpassing changing daps or amps.

I think people seldom give themselves enough time to fall in love with their new earphones only to diss it to get another new pair.

The N91 is actually not too bad. Its certainly no comparison to a proper DAP but it does the job well. Certainly much better than the nuforce.

I did give the UM3X a whole few days of solid listening (admittedly through the nuforce). Didn't work out and now I'm feeling the relatively slightly recessed (proper) mids after ditching the nuforce.

Sep 8, 2009 at 8:07 AM Post #2,029 of 4,413
something is up with your source or tip choice, UM3X do NOT IMO have recessed mids

Sep 8, 2009 at 9:13 AM Post #2,030 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by insomniax /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think you 're so right here!!!

A new pair of earphones grows on you.

Regardless of burn-in (which is related to the electronics) the user himself has to adopt to the change and let go of his previous experiences.

Judging a new audio product with anything less than a month's use is just a waste...

This is also the beauty of it all really...try different material, change eartips, try suggestions, get used to the new setup and master its use...

beerchug.gif

Sep 8, 2009 at 10:25 AM Post #2,031 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
something is up with your source or tip choice, UM3X do NOT IMO have recessed mids

They don't but coming from the nuforce icon mobile they have the appearance of being so. Just a matter of getting used to it.

Sep 8, 2009 at 10:32 AM Post #2,032 of 4,413
So are we to conclude that the UM3X requires amping in order for it to approach anywhere near its true potential? Does that mean that it would not be an ideal IEM to pair with an unamped 2nd Gen. Ipod Touch?

A question for qusp - just following on from one of your earlier posts, is the soundstage of the JH/13 PRO marginally or significantly larger than that of the UM3X to your ears?

Sep 8, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #2,034 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Dying_Wren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They don't but coming from the nuforce icon mobile they have the appearance of being so. Just a matter of getting used to it.

ah ok, i'm with you now, so yeah find a new source man, these babies have an awesome midrange, which makes up for the smaller soundstage IMO. would be a pity to miss out on that. I would test them out with a good source (get to a head-fi meet) before passing final judgement on them. other than my customs these things are the best IEMs i've ever heard thats for sure; and nor by a small margin

Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So are we to conclude that the UM3X requires amping in order for it to approach anywhere near its true potential? Does that mean that it would not be an ideal IEM to pair with an unamped 2nd Gen. Ipod Touch?

no, they just need a good source with clean, not too forward presentation. a touch 2G would be perfect actually since it has such clean bass and good extension. (usual disclaimer) almost as good as iphone 3G ;p they dont NEED and amp, but they do benefit from one, but moreso from a good dac; whether that be a dac/amp, or just a good quality dac in a good dap, like the S9, iphone 3G, touch 2G

Quote:

A question for qusp - just following on from one of your earlier posts, is the soundstage of the JH/13 PRO marginally or significantly larger than that of the UM3X to your ears?

no contest

Sep 8, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #2,036 of 4,413
No problem; glad to help
smily_headphones1.gif

I just commented on your comment on my comment in the other thread as well
wink.gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #2,038 of 4,413
Hey all, I've been listening to my new UM3Ss for a few days now...was wondering, do you guys recommend any particular tip brands/types/mods to increase bass quantity & quality (more punch)?

I've read about the Klipsch Gels & Shure Olives, but they seem to increase the treble...

Thanks,

Jon

Sep 9, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #2,039 of 4,413
Boosting the bass in the UM3X using tips isn't likely. You might have gotten the wrong IEMs for bass, as the IE8 or even the Denon C710s might be more to your liking. The Westone 3 also has punchier bass than the UM3X, which is a more balanced IEM by its nature. Many UM3X owners seem to like the bass fine, but it will never be considered a bass-forward phone. Tried using EQ?

Sep 9, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #2,040 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by clasam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey all, I've been listening to my new UM3Ss for a few days now...was wondering, do you guys recommend any particular tip brands/types/mods to increase bass quantity & quality (more punch)?

I've read about the Klipsch Gels & Shure Olives, but they seem to increase the treble...

Thanks,

Jon

even using UM56, bass is only better by a little bit. maybe W3 suit you more.

unless you use a amp. bass will not have any significant change, ibasso P3+(stock) I tried does a good job in pulling more bass out of UM3X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back