Westone UM3X Thread
Sep 6, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #2,011 of 4,413
I don't find the UM3xs detailed but rather smooth sounding. Maybe a bit more treble would make me label them as being detailed.

Then again, maybe I'm not inserting them right. Maybe I have strange ear canals. Maybe I got a faulty pair. They do sound muffled to me with every tip I've used. Very seldom do they sound like $300+ IEMs to my ears, unfortunately. I've sent them back for a new pair.

If the replacement suffers from the same problem...then it really is my stupidly shaped ears that's causing the trouble. Bah.

Sep 6, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #2,012 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oomingmak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The UM3X doesn't sound muffled at all to me, the instrument separation is great. I love how the lows are very warm yet the mids and highs aren't affected by it ... it creates a nice dynamic that I have come to love. Deep punchy bass, forward mids and highs that should they be any higher would become sibilant.

I completely agree with most of what you say. The lows are almost perfect (a bit more thump with the drums would be nice). The mids are lovely and I'm usually not too observant of the highs but they are nice.

It's just the tiny soundstage. It squashes everything together. I can hear different instruments distinctly on their own but i can't place them seperately in my head (much less outside my head) unless the music really exaggerates the separation between left and right.

Sep 6, 2009 at 7:09 AM Post #2,013 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't find the UM3xs detailed but rather smooth sounding. Maybe a bit more treble would make me label them as being detailed.

Then again, maybe I'm not inserting them right. Maybe I have strange ear canals. Maybe I got a faulty pair. They do sound muffled to me with every tip I've used. Very seldom do they sound like $300+ IEMs to my ears, unfortunately. I've sent them back for a new pair.

If the replacement suffers from the same problem...then it really is my stupidly shaped ears that's causing the trouble. Bah.

that's what I felt when I used the UM3X. treble is better after I got my UM56.

Sep 6, 2009 at 7:59 AM Post #2,014 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie0904 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that's what I felt when I used the UM3X. treble is better after I got my UM56.

Did getting a UM56 help with the soundstage or anything else? Which shop did u go to for your impressions and UM56 in Singapore?

Sep 6, 2009 at 9:46 AM Post #2,015 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Dying_Wren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did getting a UM56 help with the soundstage or anything else? Which shop did u go to for your impressions and UM56 in Singapore?

soundstage only abit wider not much IMO. I believe its the better separation which affected the soundstage. treble is better, forward mids (abit brighter), bass improved.

I feel that unless you do not have a good fit, you do not need to get a UM56 as there is a better option to remold your UM3X into a full custom(slightly more expensive than UM56). if you are looking at soundstage, you will need customs. The placement of armature drivers in a custom shell will create a more proper soundstage.

I went to Jaben to get everything done. mine's acrylic though.

Sep 6, 2009 at 10:04 AM Post #2,016 of 4,413
Quote:

soundstage only abit wider not much IMO. I believe its the better separation which affected the soundstage. treble is better, forward mids (abit brighter), bass improved.

I feel that unless you do not have a good fit, you do not need to get a UM56 as there is a better option to remold your UM3X into a full custom(slightly more expensive than UM56). if you are looking at soundstage, you will need customs. The placement of armature drivers in a custom shell will create a more proper soundstage.

I went to Jaben to get everything done. mine's acrylic though.

Do you mean Unique Melody? Its tempting but it also destroys any resell value and I've got NS coming up in a year or so so it seems a shame to get customs now and only be able to use them one or two years of their lifespan.

Something to think about... but at that price I could get JH5s. The demo set of them at Jaben was amazing.

Sep 6, 2009 at 10:36 AM Post #2,017 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Dying_Wren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you mean Unique Melody? Its tempting but it also destroys any resell value and I've got NS coming up in a year or so so it seems a shame to get customs now and only be able to use them one or two years of their lifespan.

Something to think about... but at that price I could get JH5s. The demo set of them at Jaben was amazing.

yes. reshell is more sensible to be done after your UM3X or your iem warranty ends. anyway don't worry I am sure you should still be able to use your customs during NS depending on your unit.
ksc75smile.gif

JH5 is amazing, if I do not have my UM3X I would gone for it. anyway sound signature is different. I am more interested in Fitear though after reading sasaki's review. heheh.

Sep 6, 2009 at 11:03 AM Post #2,018 of 4,413
NS? Then go for custom. Why? If the IEMs got stolen, no one can use it except you
smily_headphones1.gif
. Also, you can claim the IEMs are your because of your ears impressions are on the IEMs
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 6, 2009 at 1:04 PM Post #2,019 of 4,413
Quote:

yes. reshell is more sensible to be done after your UM3X or your iem warranty ends. anyway don't worry I am sure you should still be able to use your customs during NS depending on your unit.
ksc75smile.gif

JH5 is amazing, if I do not have my UM3X I would gone for it. anyway sound signature is different. I am more interested in Fitear though after reading sasaki's review. heheh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NS? Then go for custom. Why? If the IEMs got stolen, no one can use it except you
smily_headphones1.gif
. Also, you can claim the IEMs are your because of your ears impressions are on the IEMs
smily_headphones1.gif

You guys are good at playing devil's advocate
beerchug.gif
. I am really tempted to get the JH5s... Maybe give the Westone 3s a try first.
o2smile.gif

Gonna have to sell the UM3X. Just can't live with the small soundstage. I mean i can make myself momentarily imagine a wide soundstage but I rather my IE8s for that.

EDIT: Do you guys happen to know anyone interested in Singapore? PM me for details.

Sep 6, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #2,020 of 4,413
Check out the JH5 appreciation thread. There have been a few new owners who have had to send theirs back several times (fit problems), and if you in Singapore, that could be a frsutrating issue.

I was looking at the JH5s as well, but decided to just get the UM56s instead.

And maybe the W3s will be more to your liking. I also liked them a lot, but wanted to have just one pair of top-tier universals.

Sep 6, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #2,021 of 4,413
I actually find the UM3X to have a significant soundstage improvement with UM56, but source (iHP132->D10) had as much to do with that as the custom fit IMO. source is a main concern when talking soundstage depth; the whole picture needs to be taken into account IMO. but yes JH13 does widen the soundstage just a bit
evil_smiley.gif
now who's playing devils advocate??
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 6, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #2,022 of 4,413
He, he he ...
smily_headphones1.gif
D10, he he heh ... D10's has a warm sound signature, which has very good synergy with UM3Xs and PFEs.

A_Dying_Wren
I think you need to try another amp, because Icon Mobile is too forward with UM3Xs, and you perceived it as a small/cramped soundstage.

Thank you.

Sep 7, 2009 at 9:28 AM Post #2,024 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out the JH5 appreciation thread. There have been a few new owners who have had to send theirs back several times (fit problems), and if you in Singapore, that could be a frsutrating issue.

I was looking at the JH5s as well, but decided to just get the UM56s instead.

And maybe the W3s will be more to your liking. I also liked them a lot, but wanted to have just one pair of top-tier universals.

Maybe. But I only ever buy stuff second hand so I'm gonna need to wait for someone to offer me. Its not worth staking the claim on being the first to a earphone. Plus, others can burn-in for me
biggrin.gif
Important especially for my IE8s.

I'm torn between getting the UM56 and getting the JH5s. Fitting may be a problem but I'm confident Jaben can do a good job of it. Every few days there's announcements asking people to pick up their customs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He, he he ...
smily_headphones1.gif
D10, he he heh ... D10's has a warm sound signature, which has very good synergy with UM3Xs and PFEs.

A_Dying_Wren
I think you need to try another amp, because Icon Mobile is too forward with UM3Xs, and you perceived it as a small/cramped soundstage.

Thank you.

That could be true. I've also got a Govibe Magnum here which I tried not to use (selling off to raise money) but may have no choice. The soundstage is noticeably wider (but slight) on my N91 so source could help but not enough.

Well, now I'm in a quandary because the UM3X sounds amazing. Perfect balance of mids/highs/lows with amazing clarity. If only there was a person child of the UM3X and the IE8 for the latters' boom and soundstage.

EDIT: Just got my Cowon D2+. My Nuforce Icon Mobile now sounds like rubbish. Great... If only my D2+ could be my DAC

Sep 7, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #2,025 of 4,413
Right... I take all I said back. The UM3X simply need a bit more love than the nuforce icon mobile. Straight out of the Cowon D2+ (with a few BBE+ enhancements
biggrin.gif
), the soundstage really opens up and the music sounds incredibly lovely, if the mids are now getting a tiny bit recessed.

Don't think I'll be selling these now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back