Westone UM3X Thread
Sep 9, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #2,041 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie0904 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
even using UM56, bass is only better by a little bit. maybe W3 suit you more.

unless you use a amp. bass will not have any significant change, ibasso P3+(stock) I tried does a good job in pulling more bass out of UM3X.

Agreed on the custom sleeves, Custom slevees make bass a little more cleaner and deeper. I am very happy using the UM3Xs with D10, nice and natural sounding. EQ or amp with bass boost might do the trick, to get some more punchier bass.

Sep 9, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #2,042 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Boosting the bass in the UM3X using tips isn't likely. You might have gotten the wrong IEMs for bass, as the IE8 or even the Denon C710s might be more to your liking. The Westone 3 also has punchier bass than the UM3X, which is a more balanced IEM by its nature. Many UM3X owners seem to like the bass fine, but it will never be considered a bass-forward phone. Tried using EQ?

Gotcha, thanks. Yeah, even w/ EQ (out of a Clix 2), it doesn't have the impact I was looking for. I guess I should have taken a closer look at the frequency response (it goes down to 20 Hz) and also factored in the fact that they're balanced armatures. But then again, they're still pretty new, so there may be a bit more bass in the future.

The midrange is pretty incredible, though...much love for that aspect of the iem. Delish.

Regarding the W3, Are they much bigger than the UM3X? More specifically, would you expect them to have trouble fitting into smaller canals?

Thanks again

Sep 9, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #2,043 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie0904 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
even using UM56, bass is only better by a little bit. maybe W3 suit you more.

unless you use a amp. bass will not have any significant change, ibasso P3+(stock) I tried does a good job in pulling more bass out of UM3X.

Thanks for the response. I'll have to give them a closer listen with the D10. So far, there's some really nice sounding music, esp. w/ acoustic music & that Marshall guitar crunch I really love.

Sep 9, 2009 at 8:56 AM Post #2,044 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by clasam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gotcha, thanks. Yeah, even w/ EQ (out of a Clix 2), it doesn't have the impact I was looking for. I guess I should have taken a closer look at the frequency response (it goes down to 20 Hz) and also factored in the fact that they're balanced armatures. But then again, they're still pretty new, so there may be a bit more bass in the future.

The midrange is pretty incredible, though...much love for that aspect of the iem. Delish.

Regarding the W3, Are they much bigger than the UM3X? More specifically, would you expect them to have trouble fitting into smaller canals?

Thanks again

Congrats with your purchase, clasam! I believe the complys (esp. the medium size) have the best bass. Lossless-files seem to enhance the slam in the lows too. Maybe you could give that a try.

Sep 9, 2009 at 11:53 AM Post #2,045 of 4,413
Quote:

Thanks for the response. I'll have to give them a closer listen with the D10. So far, there's some really nice sounding music, esp. w/ acoustic music & that Marshall guitar crunch I really love.

yup, D10 is pretty clean natural sounding with UM3X. clarity and separation is quite good. it brings out abit more of what UM3X is capable off.

Sep 9, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #2,046 of 4,413
Quote:

Thanks again

W3s are larger, but it's more inside the ear than inside the ear canal. Both fit me well, but the UM3X are an easier fit for most. Not trying to convince you to get the W3s, because they are very finicky IEMs, much more than the UM3X in my view. But the W3, with good fit and a tip that doesn't cause sibilance (a problem some owners had, including me) has a much more extended, deeper bass, and the now much mentioned mid-bass hump (read about it on the W3 thread). I just wanted to have a more balanced sound, and didn't want to use EQ (with the modded tri-flanges, I had to EQ the W3s on the high end).

Hope this helps. The UM3X are just not a bass-focused IEM.

Sep 9, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #2,047 of 4,413
After reading all the threads doing all the searches and having sold my SE530s I have decided on the slightly pricier Westone 3 over the Um3X

Why? Well I did not like the Shure accuracy, fit and the cables at all, I found myself wearing the ETY-4s I have more. More sizzle on the top end but no bottom...... I wanted an IEM that gave me the sizzle of the ETYs with more Bass as I ride a motorcycle and the bass is what seems to suffer most.

I was afraid through reading of the many threads the UM3x would be a rehash of the very smooth balanced accurate Shures when I wanted a more in your face High and low end.

Accuracy is not what I am seeking....FEEL and excitement is. Even colored.

I guess this is because I have had a home Recording Studio for years and and used to listening to "Accurate" lifeless Monitors. They are not the most exciting drivers to listen to for pleasure but are necessary for a good rendition of the music that will translate well.

From what I gathered here and pretty much everywhere the UM3X is very "accurate" warm and smooth.......like the Shures.

For me "accurate" is necessary for Mixing and Mastering and boring and lifeless for pleasure listening... Singers are a whole lot more pumped up by cans that deliver enhanced freq ranges over "accurate" ones. Accuracy in the listening for pleasure world is over rated. IMO

Sep 9, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #2,048 of 4,413
The UM3x isn't exactly neutral either. The mids and bass are elevated when compared to the rest of the spectrum. Vocals ring loud and clear and the bass thumps.
I would definitely regard them as colored.

Sep 9, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #2,049 of 4,413
the right piece of my UM3x become so quiet. should I contact Westone about it ?

Sep 9, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #2,050 of 4,413
the right peice of my UM3x become so quiet. looks like I have to contact them

Sep 10, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #2,052 of 4,413
it is back to normal again. probably something block it. hope nothing will happen to it

Sep 10, 2009 at 9:14 AM Post #2,053 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingfrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After reading all the threads doing all the searches and having sold my SE530s I have decided on the slightly pricier Westone 3 over the Um3X

Why? Well I did not like the Shure accuracy, fit and the cables at all, I found myself wearing the ETY-4s I have more. More sizzle on the top end but no bottom...... I wanted an IEM that gave me the sizzle of the ETYs with more Bass as I ride a motorcycle and the bass is what seems to suffer most.

I was afraid through reading of the many threads the UM3x would be a rehash of the very smooth balanced accurate Shures when I wanted a more in your face High and low end.

I guess this is because I have had a home Recording Studio for years and and used to listening to "Accurate" lifeless Monitors. They are not the most exciting drivers to listen to for pleasure but are necessary for a good rendition of the music that will translate well.

From what I gathered here and pretty much everywhere the UM3X is very "accurate" warm and smooth.......like the Shures.

For me "accurate" is necessary for Mixing and Mastering and boring and lifeless for pleasure listening... Singers are a whole lot more pumped up by cans that deliver enhanced freq ranges over "accurate" ones. Accuracy in the listening for pleasure world is over rated. IMO

Also consider the IE8s. They're very fun earphones with a soundstage which leaves almost all IEMs in the dust. The W3s are just brighter and more detailed versions of the IE8s. But then, detail doesn't seem to be what you're after.

I personally like neutrality or approaching neutrality as then I can pump up the volume without going deaf to a particular frequency.

Sep 10, 2009 at 9:43 AM Post #2,054 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingfrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also consider the IE8s. They're very fun earphones with a soundstage which leaves almost all IEMs in the dust. The W3s are just brighter and more detailed versions of the IE8s. But then, detail doesn't seem to be what you're after.

I personally like neutrality or approaching neutrality as then I can pump up the volume without going deaf to a particular frequency.

Sep 10, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #2,055 of 4,413
Hello forumites. I've just purchased a set of UM3X going by the recommendations of fellow members on this forum. Well, actually I purchased the Nuforce NE-7M first because I needed a replacement for my old Shure e3. Although great for the price point I thought they were too bass heavy with very recessed mids. And the left bud started to fail only after one week.

So I decided to find another pair of IEMs and after many hours reading the posts on Head-Fi I went and purchased the UM3X. The box was shrink wrapped but I didn't check the contents at the shop to see if everything was in order. When I begun unpacking it at home I flipped open the front cover but I couldn't see the phones through the window because the tray contents were not rotated the correct position to see them. Strange I thought, and maybe they were previously opened... Anyway after opening the box and taking the phones out I immediately noticed the right bud had a scuff mark on the black plastic part below the Westone name. Its like someone had taken a file and filed a mark on it. Also glue residue is visible around the cable relief and the nozzle.

I was surprised, and shocked, seeing this. A top of the range and expensive phone with extremely bad build quality. It seems this has already been mentioned in previous posts in this thread. However, those posts were several months ago, and one would think Westone would have improved their production quality by now. The quality control date is written as 7/09, which I presume is July 2009, so my phones are quite recently built. Does anyone else's UM3X have such bad build quality? I've read this entire thread and its only been mentioned once on page 42.

Regarding the QC paper slips. One was an original inside the foam tips bag, while the other was a photocopy bundled with the rest of the documentation. However the initials of the inspector is different on each of them. Is this normal?

Also apart from a yellow errata sheet saying the UM3X specs on the box are wrong (which are the same as the errata), the documentation does not mention the UM3X at all and the front of my warranty card has a picture of the Clear UM2, not a UM3X. Is this just a standard warranty card for all Westone products, or have I been given the wrong card?

I'm a little bit worried with all this. Do I have a fake? They sure don't look or, more importantly, sound fake. Are the UM3X the only phones which have clear front and black back? Could they have been previously used, returned, and re-shrink wrapped? I have bought them from an authorised Westone reseller (listed on the Westone website) so they should be genuine. Am I just worrying too much after spending so much on them? I would appreciate if members could answer some of my queries. Please put my mind to rest so I can enjoy these amazing phones!

Oh, and the sound? They sound like aural sex.
darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back