Westone UM3X Thread
Jul 30, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #1,606 of 4,413
i think i've hit the end of the road.

i've tested almost every high end universal, and fortunately(or unfortunately) none of them really sounds more pleasing to me than UM3X. Plus i got my hands on Shure olives today and really solved some comfort issues for me...

Customs are no go so...haha...just chillin...
regular_smile .gif

Jul 30, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #1,607 of 4,413
^^^
Or at least, the custom eartips, example, the UM56 or equivalent . I am considering the custom eartips, and for the time being, the modded triple flanges are still the best to my ears
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 31, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #1,608 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have listened to ultrasone CD with UM3x, I think it can't use this to measure soundstage, as every phone I owned did pretty good with it
wink.gif

That's true, it made my JVC Marshmallows sound amazing too
biggrin.gif

Anyways, I think I might be getting early symptoms of the "vibration" issue. It doesn't vibrate or buzz when music is playing. But if I talk while it's in my ear or I touch the driver unit, I hear a hollow "tung" ringing sound, kind of like a stretched out rubber band being plucked but more echo-y. This only happens with my left earpiece though and the right one is completely fine. Should I send them back to Westone for a replacement?

Jul 31, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #1,609 of 4,413
The UM3X is a great earphone - indeed. I think there isn't a more comfortable phone on the market unless the CK10, but that will be dependent on the user. However, for sound, I prefer the SM2 from Earsonics. It is not as well constructed (not as well sealed) but has the same cable and a similar make. It isn't as forward in the mids, but has a better stage and more powerful bass which isn't peaky like the W3.

Both are great phones though.

Jul 31, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #1,610 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The UM3X is a great earphone - indeed. I think there isn't a more comfortable phone on the market unless the CK10, but that will be dependent on the user. However, for sound, I prefer the SM2 from Earsonics. It is not as well constructed (not as well sealed) but has the same cable and a similar make. It isn't as forward in the mids, but has a better stage and more powerful bass which isn't peaky like the W3.

Both are great phones though.

Always like to know new contender around.
atsmile.gif

Jul 31, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #1,612 of 4,413
Does the UM3X have more bass than the UM2? or SE530? I know it sounds silly, but because these are described as 'neutral', I can't tell if it has more or less bass than other models.

Jul 31, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #1,613 of 4,413
i find both the um2 and um3x somewhat similar. the um3x is better in every way, but like its dual driver predecessor, it has some very warm mids which are less stressful than overly warm treble or bass. the um2 was very tweaky in the treble. i need to do back-to-back comparisons.

Jul 31, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #1,614 of 4,413
Quote:

i find both the um2 and um3x somewhat similar. the um3x is better in every way, but like its dual driver predecessor, it has some very warm mids which are less stressful than overly warm treble or bass. the um2 was very tweaky in the treble. i need to do back-to-back comparisons.

Both are wonderful phones. I really enjoyed the UM2's when I had them, and missed them until I got the UM3X which has a more balanced sound in all frequencies, in addition of having the same super comfortable shells as its older brother. One thing I really like about them is their clear sound and at the same time their non fatiguing characteristics, which allowed me to wear them for hours without discomfort (neither physical or hearing wise).

Jul 31, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #1,615 of 4,413
Quote:

You sure about the UM3X being very warm? I was just having a discussion with gameboy115 in another thread where he characterized the SE530 as being overly warm and the UM3X as neutral, referring the OP to this thread as a proof. Now reading your post I'm stumped. Is there any certainty in this world?
wink.gif

Jul 31, 2009 at 7:10 AM Post #1,616 of 4,413
Uncertainty principle - its only there when u look for it. otherwise its all smeared out. Very apt description for SQ eh?

Jul 31, 2009 at 8:19 AM Post #1,617 of 4,413
Now, I am listening to UM3Xs with custom eartips, but NOT the UM56
smily_headphones1.gif
. Mine are the custom ear canal tips for Siemen hearing aids. First, I found it difficult to insert the UM3X's nozzles, because the tube is bit smaller, but, provides a good grip. Total cost ..... USD 36 (converted from MYR). Three words ..."Worth for money".
smily_headphones1.gif
The treble is magnificent. Never heard this kind of extended treble before. Sibilance (5-7 kHz) is very well tamed.

Bass, very deep and not boomy at all. The presentation is very different from the universal tips.

Mid: Not need to be mentioned...

Head/Soundstage: Bigger and wider.

Need time a bit to get used with this custom tips...

Thank you.

Jul 31, 2009 at 9:46 AM Post #1,619 of 4,413
hi there, i do like UM3x only when listening rock/ metal or groovy music, but when it comes to slow music or song that contains orchestra arrangement (example: pat matheny or chris botti) I felt UM3x mid's is to forward, the sound stage are to narrow and also the layer between instrument is not clear enough.

Is there and portable amp that can makes UM3x MORE MUSICAL on those kinds of music, sorry for my english, thanks B4

Jul 31, 2009 at 10:48 AM Post #1,620 of 4,413
maybe try the customs tip um56? many seem to praise them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back