Westone UM3X Thread
Jul 31, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #1,621 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by miprasetya /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi there, i do like UM3x only when listening rock/ metal or groovy music, but when it comes to slow music or song that contains orchestra arrangement (example: pat matheny or chris botti) I felt UM3x mid's is to forward, the sound stage are to narrow and also the layer between instrument is not clear enough.

Is there and portable amp that can makes UM3x MORE MUSICAL on those kinds of music, sorry for my english, thanks B4

I'd definitely consider um56. As far as amps go, I find the ibasso d-10 makes everything significantly more musical... as does my practical devices xm5 with AD8065 op amps. (again, I'm using um56 custom tips).

Jul 31, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #1,622 of 4,413
the advertised impedance is 56ohms which is significantly higher than that of Westone 3. Does that mean I would need to increase the volume on my player in order to get the same output? Is there an advantage to the higher ohms?

Jul 31, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #1,623 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by talisman42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the advertised impedance is 56ohms which is significantly higher than that of Westone 3. Does that mean I would need to increase the volume on my player in order to get the same output? Is there an advantage to the higher ohms?

No, you dont have to turn up your vol, give you some headsup, with iphone, I use 40% with SE 530. UM3X is around 45-50% vol.

Jul 31, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #1,624 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by talisman42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Look at the sensitivity. It's very high.

@miprasetya : what's your source? We sure hear differently. Mahler 9 sounds awesome with my UM3X

Jul 31, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #1,625 of 4,413
Yes - thank you. I've found some helpful articles as well.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look at the sensitivity. It's very high.

Jul 31, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #1,627 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by twylight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
um 56 is best universal upgrade you can do...dont mess around with generic tips.

amen.

Jul 31, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #1,628 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by twylight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
um 56 is best universal upgrade you can do...dont mess around with generic tips.

I read somewhere in this thread or another that you can get your universals cracked open and have the drivers and circuit transferred over to a customized shell. If you're willing to go through the time consuming and expensive audiologist appointment and purchasing the um56, go all the way and have your universals converted to customs might make more sense?

Jul 31, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #1,629 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read somewhere in this thread or another that you can get your universals cracked open and have the drivers and circuit transferred over to a customized shell. If you're willing to go through the time consuming and expensive audiologist appointment and purchasing the um56, go all the way and have your universals converted to customs might make more sense?

You can use the UM56 between different brands so if you upgrade you'll always have it which in the long run is less expensive than getting full customs for every upgrade you make.

Aug 1, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #1,630 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oomingmak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can use the UM56 between different brands so if you upgrade you'll always have it which in the long run is less expensive than getting full customs for every upgrade you make.

The thing is that many custom and um56 users have already established that going um56 won't make the universals sound as good at the actual customs. I guess if you're willing to wait for the next leading universal IEM to come around, it might be worth the slightly lower cost and the wait. Otherwise, you can get custom-quality sound right now and spend just a couple hundred more than the price of um56. Oh, but you wouldn't be able to sell the um3x anymore (for an obvious reason). I guess you have a point.

Aug 1, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #1,631 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The thing is that many custom and um56 users have already established that going um56 won't make the universals sound as good at the actual customs.

If you invested in this earphone as I did with the expectation that you would not need the UM56 solution, only to find out that the UM56 (or something similar) may be the best solution to fit issues, buying them is better than starting all over with new earphones. If you get 90% of the custom sound as a result of solving the fit problem, what a bonus.

Aug 1, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #1,632 of 4,413
Yep, yep.
regular_smile .gif

Aug 1, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #1,633 of 4,413
Tigon_Ridge,

I dont have a pair of true custom's (yet, I hate headfi) but here are some thoughts:

1. foamies isolate, custom tips transfer the music to your head with a better seal, foamies absorb the vibration
2. The jump to top notch customs is at least $1100
3. I could resell my um3x within 24 hours and keep the tips, customs have little to no resale
4. Only out $100 on the canal tips if you hate them
5. You prolly have spent more on foamies and stuff if you have been on headfi for very long - how many OMG CUT THE TIP OFF IT OWNS threads have we had making you waste $20 here and there.
6. Why would it have fit issues? Its a mold of your ears - mine were perfect - took 4 molds for my audiologist to be happy about it - maybe make sure the audiologist has done audio stuff before and not just hearing aids? dunno

I am very happy with mine, best bang for the buck $100 I have spent on audio in a while...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back