Westone UM3X Thread
Jul 22, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #1,576 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by dunnowho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
umm... um3x have a distant soundstage?

Want a distant soundstage? Get Korg Mr-1, IMO, the soundstage it presents with UM3X is a lot larger than IE8 with Iphone I owned before.

MR-1 better matches to warm IEM, like IE8. It is also very picky with music format, shame if you are using mp3 format.

Jul 23, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #1,578 of 4,413
What would be your best guess as to what EQ settings for the UM3X look like to simulate the sound of the W3? Would it be more like boosted lows and highs?

Jul 24, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #1,579 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by talisman42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What would be your best guess as to what EQ settings for the UM3X look like to simulate the sound of the W3? Would it be more like boosted lows and highs?

Yes, that is accurate but there's a little more to it. The UM3X is sound sig is softer and much easier on the ears. UM3X also respond better to EQ. Quite difficult to tame that W3 bass and treble. It's the IEM on steriods.

Jul 24, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #1,580 of 4,413
Spyro, have to disagree on taming the W3. In fact, with the modded triflanges (stalks trimmed 3mm), I boost the treble (those tips veil it a bit) and the W3s respond like a champ with the Sony, Clip and Fuze I just got. I do agree that the treble on the W3s is harsh with the wrong tips, but not for every tip. Just don't want someone to be misled. The W3s are not sibilant in all cases, but this has been discussed at length in the W3 thread. If you can find the right tip combo or get the UM56s, they can be an excellent IEM, never fatiguing (at least for me).

Jul 24, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #1,581 of 4,413
Spyro, tstarn06

Good points. I do sense the low and highs are boosted when comparing W3 to the Super.Fi.3 and SE420 and I can certainly appreciate non-fatiguing sound. I'm assuming that rolled-off highs is actually a benefit for those sensitive to high frequency? Or is this one of those newbie,ditzy conclusions like believing that salmonella comes from salmons. lol

Anyway I also enjoy different flavors of music as well as response which is why I treat EQ as my friend (on Clip). Same tune, but when I'm walking to work, or working out, I'm in a different mindset from , say, studying.

I do enjoy the W3 - no doubt, but I'm still exploring all of its personalities. How fun is that?
smily_headphones1.gif
Perhaps this is its strength AND weakness, though. The fit and tip styles affect the sound significantly - so much that disclosing which tip was used does help the decision-making criteria. For me, I'm finding that my right ear on occasion feels as though it could use a deeper fit but using different tip sizes could result in lack of symmetry which can be a concern. Again, a custom tip may be the ultimate solution for me. And gosh, when these things Rip, they really rrrrriiiipp! It's like 2 huge vibrating coils pumping sound in my ear, but it's these tiny little things? unbelievable. I am, however, working on taming the sound

Jul 24, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #1,582 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spyro, have to disagree on taming the W3. In fact, with the modded triflanges (stalks trimmed 3mm), I boost the treble (those tips veil it a bit) and the W3s respond like a champ with the Sony, Clip and Fuze I just got. I do agree that the treble on the W3s is harsh with the wrong tips, but not for every tip. Just don't want someone to be misled. The W3s are not sibilant in all cases, but this has been discussed at length in the W3 thread. If you can find the right tip combo or get the UM56s, they can be an excellent IEM, never fatiguing (at least for me).

You are right and i can appreciate your viewpoint but I guess I never had the patience to tweak the W3 and certainly didn't want to drop more $$ for U56. The Tri-flange mod didn't work for me, at least with an Ipod. UM3X is just easier out of box, stick in ears and go where everyone is going to pretty much get the same sound result. I also tend to listen to my music on the loud side and the nonfatiguing nature of UM3X works better for me in this regard.

Jul 28, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #1,583 of 4,413
Wow... ok that took a while, but I've finally finished all 106 pages of the UM3X appreciation thread. And mine are their way!! Can't wait to get them. Anyone using them with a Sansa Clip, Cowon A2 or iPod Touch 1G? How does it sound? I listen mostly to pop, indie, instrumental songs. Will the UM3X be a good fit for my tastes and sources?

Jul 28, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #1,584 of 4,413
To my ears, iit sound great withInstrumental songs and symphonic orchestras. Might be less sparkle than my PFEs, but, overall it is very well balanced. Hope you will enjoy it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 28, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #1,585 of 4,413
After a bit of a struggle, my OtoBlast UM56 earpieces arrived today. (There is almost no second bend on my left side.) Unless you have achieved a very good fit with your universals, I am another who will tell you that you are really missing something by not having the UM56 earpieces. The difference may not be revolutionary, but it is noticeable and significant.

Jul 28, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #1,586 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by No Deal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After a bit of a struggle, my OtoBlast UM56 earpieces arrived today. (There is almost no second bend on my left side.) Unless you have achieved a very good fit with your universals, I am another who will tell you that you are really missing something by not having the UM56 earpieces. The difference may not be revolutionary, but it is noticeable and significant.

The problem I really have a good seal with my um3x with shure small olive, it just flush into earphone without a sweat. Make me wonder do I really have to go for custom tips ?

If custom tips has 30 days return policy, I am sure I will go for it.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Anyway, what is improvement you think after changing to custom tips ?

Jul 28, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #1,587 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem I really have a good seal with my um3x with shure small olive, it just flush into earphone without a sweat. Make me wonder do I really have to go for custom tips ?

If custom tips has 30 days return policy, I am sure I will go for it.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Anyway, what is improvement you think after changing to custom tips ?

Based on other people's opinions, I gather that they produce better highs, since the tip is hard, not soft, unlike olives and foam tips that absorbs the high-end. Bass resonates better and the fit is second to none...makes it 90% of the ES3X.

I prolly left something out, feel free to correct me.
tongue_smile.gif

Brendan

Jul 28, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #1,588 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based on other people's opinions, I gather that they produce better highs, since the tip is hard, not soft, unlike olives and foam tips that absorbs the high-end. Bass resonates better and the fit is second to none...makes it 90% of the ES3X.

I prolly left something out, feel free to correct me.
tongue_smile.gif

Brendan

Thanks for explanation. But my focus would be soundstage or increasing warmness for vocal even a little bit. Based on my experience, shure is over warm already for me, on the contray, um3x could always increase a lit bit

Jul 28, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #1,590 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OT, but where are you getting the impressions done? I've seen the hearatlast stores in Walmart but am iffy if I want to try my luck there.

For impression, may be you can try "hear tornoto", I heard a headfier got a prettygood deal to make custom tips including impression for around 120CAD
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back