Westone UM3X Thread
Jul 20, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #1,562 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by cenamini /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my UM3X today and the right hand side has no sound =(.
Sigh another 1 week or 2 to receive a replacement.

Sorry to hear that, hope you get the replacement as soon as possible

Jul 20, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #1,563 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nah dude; you wont believe the difference in sound. especially soundstage. bass goes deeper; highs go higher and because of added clarity the detail in the mids is improved. some feel that the sound becomes brighter and the only way I can explain that is because the bass and lower mids are tightened up considerably; the bass seems less in quantity. when in fact there is more, but it just doesnt dominate as much. not that these problems really plague the UM3X so much; moreso other IEMs like W3 and SE530.

then of course theres comfort and isolation improvements.

^^ all IMO and IME

Totally agree. When I order my UM-56, I just want to try a how custom tips feel like before I order my JH13. I was very surprise how much better it sound in terms of mids and soundstage. I'm kicking myself of not getting the UM-56 earlier and wasted so much money on the tips. Now I just need to make an appointment with my audiologist to get another impression to order my JH13.

Jul 21, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #1,564 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Totally agree. When I order my UM-56, I just want to try a how custom tips feel like before I order my JH13. I was very surprise how much better it sound in terms of mids and soundstage. I'm kicking myself of not getting the UM-56 earlier and wasted so much money on the tips. Now I just need to make an appointment with my audiologist to get another impression to order my JH13.

Nice Move, Jh13. Any chance wind up selling up um3x at last?

I am glad UM56 improves soundstage. That would be my most concern. Can you tell me how mid changes ?

Jul 21, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #1,565 of 4,413
a small question, if you RMA the UM3X thanks to failed driver, and u get it fixed via warranty, does the returned pair still have warranty? or...if it fails again, im screwed? *please excuse language, can't find better words for it*

Jul 21, 2009 at 7:50 AM Post #1,566 of 4,413
i think the warranty would be still valid. If not, lotsa people would have been screwed over long time ago.

Jul 21, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #1,567 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am glad UM56 improves soundstage. That would be my most concern. Can you tell me how mid changes ?

Nope, not selling the UM3X. It is that good with UM-56, will keep it for traveling and use it at work. The JH13 will probably replace my ESW10JPN and AD2000.

Jul 21, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #1,568 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by kurosuto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a small question, if you RMA the UM3X thanks to failed driver, and u get it fixed via warranty, does the returned pair still have warranty? or...if it fails again, im screwed? *please excuse language, can't find better words for it*

The warranty still stands. The warranty covers the period and does not matter if you send something in. We've had a few folks need to use it twice in a 2 year period. Those were very rare cases, but they will still covered.

Jul 21, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #1,569 of 4,413
nice to hear official confirmation when i just purchased mine today. they are staying in my ears all of tonight.

Jul 22, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #1,570 of 4,413
My faithful ety ER-6s seem to have finally died after 7+ years of service. Picked up the UM3X as I'm using them for monitoring and review of live recordings 99% of the time.

Couple of questions:

1) What's the tone (bright/dark) changes that folks have noticed while going from the stock foamies to the UM56 customs? I've got custom plugs that I use in the field so I know what they will feel like, and while I could pop out the buttons and use my current set with my ER-6s (never did though), the UM3Xs will require a separate set of impressions. Did the UM56 adaptors relieve any of the veil over the top end? The rest of the sound is balanced, not as detailed as the etys, but pleasantly balanced, but I've lost almost 3/4ths of the 8-12khz range...

I may change out components from my current DAC > Hybrid Amp setup to compensate if that doesn't change as I've selected items which are generally favorable to the bright(er) etys and the dark(er) mic I currently use.

2) Did the switch effect the distant soundstage? It is enjoyable on the studio albums I've sampled, but almost all of the recordings I'm working with are now somewhat distant or out of reach if you will, as a result. Some find that desirable I guess, just not my cup of tea with what I'm working with.

I'm primarily interested in #1 as I can fiddle with the foamies and get a brighter sound, but I can never achieve it consistently or constantly once I've found it. I've read over the forum some to try and get an answer, but thought I'd ask. Any notes are appreciated. Thanks.

btw as a reference (if your interested in the source material I'm listening to):
Internet Archive: Free Download: Tea Leaf Green Live at Gravity Lounge on 2009-01-18
(If It Wasn't For The Money, Sex in the 70s)
Internet Archive: Free Download: Larry Keel Live at Zollman's Pavilion on 2009-05-23
(The Message > First Day in Town > Appalachian Rain)

Jul 22, 2009 at 7:17 AM Post #1,571 of 4,413
umm... um3x have a distant soundstage?

Jul 22, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #1,572 of 4,413
something is wrong with your fit or source. the UM3X DO NOT IMO have a distant soundstage at all. in fact out of all the IEMs I have they are the most intimate. i'm guessing you are using the standard comply foams?? they are the darkest tip for UM3X.

there is also a chance that because you tuned your rig for ety, you are now hearing exactly how dark your rig is. there is no loss in detail in the highs for me. just not artificially boosted like ety. its a tad soft, but all detail is there. they respond to EQ very well too

Jul 22, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #1,573 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i'll give an opinion on that. the mid changes, not in FR, but because the bass tightens up, the detail is brought slightly forward.

Jul 22, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #1,574 of 4,413
Saitoh

I listened to one of the live recordins from your references, Earth and Sky. It sound like, the performances had been recorded from 10-20 feets away. The vocal, (via loud speakers) seem be OK, and at the right position and at the right tone, (to my ears). Let me guess, the vocal was using the 'dynamic microphone'. Am I correct ?
smily_headphones1.gif
. Yes, I understand, the UM3Xs lost some percentage of treble compared to bright IEMs, example, my PFEs. but, that is what the audiences heard
smily_headphones1.gif

Ok, now I am using the moded triple fanges, and the treble is much better to my liking. Planned to try the custom tips in near future, but not the UM56, and hope it will be better.
smily_headphones1.gif

TQ.

Jul 22, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #1,575 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
something is wrong with your fit or source. the UM3X DO NOT IMO have a distant soundstage at all. in fact out of all the IEMs I have they are the most intimate. i'm guessing you are using the standard comply foams?? they are the darkest tip for UM3X.

there is also a chance that because you tuned your rig for ety, you are now hearing exactly how dark your rig is. there is no loss in detail in the highs for me. just not artificially boosted like ety. its a tad soft, but all detail is there. they respond to EQ very well too

I suspect it's primarily fit. I have trouble with the comply tips and gave up after the first night, called to get impressions the next morning. Once I could get a balanced (between left and right) and remotely tonally balanced sound to happen, any slight pressure on the driver housing caused a 90% loss in all sound so I'm just squeeking by on the foam at the moment. Once or twice while trying to get them in I caught really good top-end, but I could never get a balanced (volume) to come out between L/R with that, let alone balanced (tonal) sound between L/R...

Here's hoping for the best out of the UM56s, thanks for the note.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Saitoh

I listened to one of the live recordins from your references, Earth and Sky. It sound like, the performances had been recorded from 10-20 feets away. The vocal, (via loud speakers) seem be OK, and at the right position and at the right tone, (to my ears). Let me guess, the vocal was using the 'dynamic microphone'. Am I correct ?
smily_headphones1.gif
. Yes, I understand, the UM3Xs lost some percentage of treble compared to bright IEMs, example, my PFEs. but, that is what the audiences heard
smily_headphones1.gif

Ok, now I am using the moded triple fanges, and the treble is much better to my liking. Planned to try the custom tips in near future, but not the UM56, and hope it will be better.
smily_headphones1.gif

TQ.

Well done, your right, for that performance we were about 20' or so back from the stage (mic was suspended from the ceiling). Rowdy crowd, but a nice show. The other one I was slightly further back, but the PA stacks were spread further as well. Both would probably have had standard Shure SM57s for vocal mics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back