Westone UM3X Thread
Jul 28, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #1,591 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway, what is improvement you think after changing to custom tips ?

The problem is that when it comes to my music I want to enjoy it without being overly analytical. My favorite music is jazz piano. I also believe that this earphone is well suited for jazz/R&B music. It may be good for others but it works well for this music.

That being said I can offer some qualitative things that I have noticed so far. The piano and vocals do sound much better. The bass is there in clarity and quantities that did not exist before. I never got this kind of bass before without pressing the earphones into my ear. The highs are better. The sound stage is better. Fullness of sound with clarity. Keep in mind that these are my humble opinions absent any science.

I swore that said I would NEVER spend money on the earpieces. Oh well.

Jul 28, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #1,592 of 4,413
To UM56, or not to UM56.

I too have a really good seal with the shure olives I'm using. Or maybe I just don't know what a good seal truly is...
confused.gif

I'll find out in 2 weeks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 28, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #1,593 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by No Deal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem is that when it comes to my music I want to enjoy it without being overly analytical. My favorite music is jazz piano. I also believe that this earphone is well suited for jazz/R&B music. It may be good for others but it works well for this music.

That being said I can offer some qualitative things that I have noticed so far. The piano and vocals do sound much better. The bass is there in clarity and quantities that did not exist before. I never got this kind of bass before without pressing the earphones into my ear. The highs are better. The sound stage is better. Fullness of sound with clarity. Keep in mind that these are my humble opinions absent any science.

I swore that said I would NEVER spend money on the earpieces. Oh well.

Thanks. It is interesting. I always think about what I could improve with UM3x, first one would be the fullness of sound, and then soundstage. I can live with bass, as I was coming from IE8, still had no complaint even from very first min ( From a guy not a basshead at all
icon10.gif
)

Jul 28, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #1,594 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by SOUNDinterpreter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To UM56, or not to UM56.

I too have a really good seal with the shure olives I'm using. Or maybe I just don't know what a good seal truly is...
confused.gif

I'll find out in 2 weeks
smily_headphones1.gif

In the same boat, I always think I have a good seal, but I doubtI may misunderstand what is good seal

Jul 29, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #1,595 of 4,413
Has anyone paired the UM3X with a Fiio E5?
Very interested in hearing feedback.

I used to have an E5, but got rid of it before I got the Westones.

Wondering if there would be any real benefit along with a Sansa Clip.
Not in volume (not an issue), but in soundstage width, bass definition, or any other aspect.

Please chime in if you have tried one out with your UM3X.

Jul 29, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #1,597 of 4,413
um56 is a huge upgrade - I get a great fit with yellow foamies and with shure black tips - also with 2 cut flanges.

The um56 are a much tighter fit, better isolation, transfer of bass and mids to your head and just awesome. Also the drivers are completely lifted for my ear providing higher comfort of no contact points. I also feel the sound is cleaner, I have a sneaking suspicion that there is alot of reflected sound off a foamie which is not present on the custom tip.

As a person who wasted at least $100 on tips for these and my old shures - I wish I would have RAN to the westone store/audiologist and done this a few years ago. $100 total including impressions from an audiologist and westone dealer.

Very happy. I have tried - shure S,M,L, comply foams (2 bags) yellow foamies, orange foamies on a really old shure...never got around to gel tips. I also tried the Sony flanges and shure flanges as well as a 1,2,3 prong triple flange (these suck for comfort, great sound) I am going to bum a friends 530's tomorrow and see if they improve that. I think they will.

As far as amping these...I think you are nuts...its a great way to make your head explode. Unless its a pretty low ohm its going to hiss as well...5 of my amps hiss, 2 dont with um3x - all of them would cause massive ear damage if I looked at them sideways. I only run one rig thru an amp and thats cause my DAC has no HP jack. The other 2 rigs have tiny amps in them like an ipod which is more then enough to make your ears ring at 80%.

Jul 29, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #1,598 of 4,413
Well. I must confess that I really am enjoying the earphones at about a quarter turn out of my Ibasso D10. You are right. Too much more than that and you will be at the audiologist again to be fit for a totally different device.

Jul 29, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #1,599 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by jowens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone paired the UM3X with a Fiio E5?
Very interested in hearing feedback.

I used to have an E5, but got rid of it before I got the Westones.

Wondering if there would be any real benefit along with a Sansa Clip.
Not in volume (not an issue), but in soundstage width, bass definition, or any other aspect.

Please chime in if you have tried one out with your UM3X.

It's entirely unnecessary with the UM3X, I don't think they need an amp of any kind really.

Jul 29, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #1,600 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by cenamini /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just received my replacement UM3X, would anyone have a problem with the um3x and itouch 1st Gen? it doesnt seem to play on the right side for me

Something is amiss, try it on a friends. Check some other headphones on your ipod.

Jul 30, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #1,602 of 4,413
Quote:

just received my replacement UM3X, would anyone have a problem with the um3x and itouch 1st Gen? it doesnt seem to play on the right side for me

Plays fine on my iPod Touch 1st Gen. Both sides work perfectly. AND YES I HAVE FINALLY GOT THEM IN THE MAIL!

No vibrating issues
biggrin.gif
So far, it's an interesting beast. Sounds best with my worst sources... my HP Compaq 2510p laptop and iPod Touch 1st Gen sound better than my Sansa Clip and Cowon A2. Anyways, the Shure Olives work great on them but using them on my right ear REALLY irritated me. After 30 minutes or so, I would get a big itch in that ear, so I've switch just the right side to short complys and loving them now
smily_headphones1.gif
And everyone is right, these are the MOST COMFORTABLE IEMs ever. They fit perfectly in my ears and just disappear.

I'm going to let my head get used to the sound a bit more right now, but from my iPod Touch, I'll say this, the mids are REALLY smooth and sweet. The soundstage isn't that small with well recorded tracks (Ultrasone CD in FLAC).

Jul 30, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #1,603 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by dippyboy_87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anybody tell me if the UM3X is even more efficient than the SE530 only from the volume perspective.. I mean do the UM3X go even more loud than the SE530 using the same amp?
Thanks.

Unamped, the difference is min. With iphone, SE 530 - 40% vol , UM3x - 45-50%, IE8 - 50%( not like IE8 is hard to drive, just push vol up against laid back presentation, actually, I feel my ear little hurt after long listening session
wink.gif
)

Jul 30, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #1,604 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by dap_pad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Plays fine on my iPod Touch 1st Gen. Both sides work perfectly. AND YES I HAVE FINALLY GOT THEM IN THE MAIL!

No vibrating issues
biggrin.gif
So far, it's an interesting beast. Sounds best with my worst sources... my HP Compaq 2510p laptop and iPod Touch 1st Gen sound better than my Sansa Clip and Cowon A2. Anyways, the Shure Olives work great on them but using them on my right ear REALLY irritated me. After 30 minutes or so, I would get a big itch in that ear, so I've switch just the right side to short complys and loving them now
smily_headphones1.gif
And everyone is right, these are the MOST COMFORTABLE IEMs ever. They fit perfectly in my ears and just disappear.

I'm going to let my head get used to the sound a bit more right now, but from my iPod Touch, I'll say this, the mids are REALLY smooth and sweet. The soundstage isn't that small with well recorded tracks (Ultrasone CD in FLAC).

Have listened to ultrasone CD with UM3x, I think it can't use this to measure soundstage, as every phone I owned did pretty good with it
wink.gif

Jul 30, 2009 at 11:24 AM Post #1,605 of 4,413
I hope you tested using a different set of headphones.

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back