Westone UM3X Thread
Jun 13, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #1,006 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought, from several people's impressions, that the um3x is already very forward (to the point of being a little too forward for some).

The vocals are forward and the instrumentation appears to be behind or around the singer.

Jun 13, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #1,007 of 4,413
Well it seems my pair of UM3Xs is defective. The audio on my left monitor cuts out when i slightly tug anywhere below the cable split. If I pull above the split, however, the sound doesn't cut out. I actually experienced this two nights ago, but I had trouble replicating the effect afterward. I was going to live with the problem since it didn't affect how I listen to music normally through my DAP, but today the problem started happening more often, and with a lot less effort. It seems, at least, that I might be the only one with this problem.

I am a bit disappointed, I took good care of these and I didn't expect to run into any problems knowing the quality and condition of my UM2s. The thing is I purchased these a week ago from an ebay seller (I assume unauthorized Westone dealer.) I remember reading that other people were having different problems with their pairs, and i think powerhound advised them to talk to their original seller for an exchange. And since my seller is unauthorized and isn't accepting returns after 3 days of receiving the item, I hope Westone will fix my pair. I just don't have much experience with warranties, I'll need to call them. Hate to part with my UM3Xs, maybe I'll wait a bit longer before I contact Westone and see if my problem worsens.

Just giving you guys a heads up in case anyone else runs into the same problem, but so far it doesn't seem so.

Jun 13, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #1,008 of 4,413
Did you send the warranty registration/extension to Westone when you got them? If you are on record as the original purchaser you may not have a problem. Good luck.

Jun 13, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #1,009 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Il Mostro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you send the warranty registration/extension to Westone when you got them? If you are on record as the original purchaser you may not have a problem. Good luck.

Will do that today, I kinda overlooked it. I thought it was for the 1 year extension to the original warranty. Thanks.

Jun 13, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #1,010 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by SOUNDinterpreter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will do that today, I kinda overlooked it. I thought it was for the 1 year extension to the original warranty. Thanks.

Sorry to hear about your UM3X issues. Which seller is that, by the way? I'm sure that if, for some reason, the seller doesn't sort out your problem, Westone will do the right thing and replace your set - their CS, as you probably know, is excellent.

Jun 14, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #1,012 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by SOUNDinterpreter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well it seems my pair of UM3Xs is defective. The audio on my left monitor cuts out when i slightly tug anywhere below the cable split. If I pull above the split, however, the sound doesn't cut out. I actually experienced this two nights ago, but I had trouble replicating the effect afterward. I was going to live with the problem since it didn't affect how I listen to music normally through my DAP, but today the problem started happening more often, and with a lot less effort. It seems, at least, that I might be the only one with this problem.

I am a bit disappointed, I took good care of these and I didn't expect to run into any problems knowing the quality and condition of my UM2s. The thing is I purchased these a week ago from an ebay seller (I assume unauthorized Westone dealer.) I remember reading that other people were having different problems with their pairs, and i think powerhound advised them to talk to their original seller for an exchange. And since my seller is unauthorized and isn't accepting returns after 3 days of receiving the item, I hope Westone will fix my pair. I just don't have much experience with warranties, I'll need to call them. Hate to part with my UM3Xs, maybe I'll wait a bit longer before I contact Westone and see if my problem worsens.

Just giving you guys a heads up in case anyone else runs into the same problem, but so far it doesn't seem so.

I had a problem with my splitter as well after 10 days of use. The right channel would cut out if i bent the cable at the splitter or squeezed the right side of the splitter. Went back to my local dealer and they fixed me up with a brand new set.

Hope it doesnt happen again on my new set.

Jun 14, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #1,013 of 4,413
To all UM3X owners.. U all face any problems with a bit of "fuzzy" sound in some parts of the song when playing some songs? Im not sure whether its my song quality as i burned it from a CD but its in the AAC format.. Around 4MB song.. Or is it due to the high impedence of the UM3X?

Jun 14, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #1,014 of 4,413
it's probably due to the song. my songs that are low bitrate sometimes have the fuzzy sound, even some 192kbps songs

Jun 14, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #1,015 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatpooh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To all UM3X owners.. U all face any problems with a bit of "fuzzy" sound in some parts of the song when playing some songs? Im not sure whether its my song quality as i burned it from a CD but its in the AAC format.. Around 4MB song.. Or is it due to the high impedence of the UM3X?

UM3X is unforgiving for low bit rate songs. Try to listen at some loseless (wav, ape) songs, you will notice the difference is day and night.

Jun 14, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #1,016 of 4,413
320K is good enough, even 256K, but I wont go lower anymore unless I must (for instance my eMusic account grandfathered in at the old price $14.99/50 songs, which sounds decent at around 192K).

Jun 14, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #1,017 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(for instance my eMusic account grandfathered in at the old price $14.99/50 songs...)

Not for long, thanks to eMusic's underhanded rate hike/download reduction. Peep the complaints of several hundred disappointed customers here.

/side note

Jun 14, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #1,018 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oomingmak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Etymotic 4S and 4P are designed for clarity, mostly at the sacrifice of a fuller, warmer sound with more bass. The sound of the UM3x isn't as transparent and cold as the 4S or 4P. The UM3x is transparent in the fact that the sound is balanced and therefore you can hear everything, lows, mids, and highs clearly but it's much warmer and more colorful than the 4S or 4P so if you don't appreciate hearing everything balanced on the same level you may not like it, especially after listening to the 4S for so long. The highs are good but the overall sound has much more body than that of the 4S which has good highs and clear mids but only because there is no bass or warmth to its sound. UM3X is better in every way, so long as you can appreciate its balance.

Your comments are right on point.

When I first listened to the UM3X I immediately thought they were 'muddy' sounding. (I then recalled that I thought the same thing years ago when I switched from Martin Logan to B&W speakers which I later came to love.) They just aren't as analytical as the 4S. That being said, after hours of listening I have come to like them. I would have to say that I do not think that for me they are overwhelmingly better than my Etymotics but they are different and there is something to be said for the full sound that the UM3X has. They are very easy to spend time with.

I do prefer the tri-flange tips that I use on my Etymotics. For me, correct placement of the supplied tips to achieve clear sound is difficult. The tri-flanges are too big for this earphone. If anyone has a recommendation, I would appreciate it.

Jun 15, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #1,019 of 4,413
^^^^^
Actually, the small blue tri-flanges from my HF5's fit very well and add some sparkle to the top end. Unfortunately, they lean things out too much across the rest of the spectrum. Comfy but not as good isolation as the Comply's and certainly not the isolation of any Ety IEM. Half the isolation fromthe Ety's comes from jamming the tip halfway to your brain and the Westone's just do not lend themselves to this
biggrin.gif

Jun 15, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #1,020 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Il Mostro /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Half the isolation from the Ety's comes from jamming the tip halfway to your brain and the Westone's just do not lend themselves to this
biggrin.gif

Aptly put!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back