Westone UM3X Thread
Jun 11, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #976 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Il Mostro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
God only knows what my in-coming SR71-A will do.

You will not be disappointed but it requires a lot of burn in before the amp sounds their best, it is around 250-300 hours. It does enhance the soundstage a little, liquid mid (especially on female vocal). I did not notice much change on bass and treble when amping UM3X with SR-71A. Not sure why but I do prefer Mustang/UM3X combo. When listen to Dianna Krall's East of the sun (and west of the moon) I notice there is faint cough coming from few rows back on the right side (around 1:10) more with Mustang/UM3X than SR-71A/UM3X.

Jun 11, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #977 of 4,413
Just got the shure gray tips yesterday and did A and B comparison between stock complys and Shure tips and i could not tell much difference between them. The only thing i saw was the treble was bit clearer on shure other than that it was all the same. Now i am in a quandary on which to pick as my tips. I like the comfort of complys, but shure are not bad either. Does anyone else feel the same or had a different experience

Jun 11, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #978 of 4,413
Thanks for the info on the Tabula rasa Addict. I have it and funnily enough it must be mastered pretty well because I don't suffer extreme stereo seperation that some of my tracks have (from the CD or via ALAC) which an IEM that puts you right infront often exacerbates like the UM2.

I guess you guys are correct with EQ - what a pity I'm now limited to the ****ty ipod EQ unless I pre-EQ the tracks or something from itunes or a converter
frown.gif

I think I might get the customs for the UM2 and see if they improve. If not, I can upgrade to UM3x for next summer when prices moderate a little on the used side.

Jun 11, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #979 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by xolp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those spots are not where the black coating is missing. Those are grey markings on the cable to allow westone to determine the polarity of the braided cables quickly so as to speed up assembly/repair

That cleared that mystery. I had the same nagging feeling that my cables were bad
smily_headphones1.gif
. Thanks much now i can enjoy my Um3x in peace

Jun 11, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #981 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by xolp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those spots are not where the black coating is missing. Those are grey markings on the cable to allow westone to determine the polarity of the braided cables quickly so as to speed up assembly/repair

Thanks, man. You saved me a phone call.

Jun 11, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #982 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will not be disappointed but it requires a lot of burn in before the amp sounds their best, it is around 250-300 hours. It does enhance the soundstage a little, liquid mid (especially on female vocal). I did not notice much change on bass and treble when amping UM3X with SR-71A. Not sure why but I do prefer Mustang/UM3X combo. When listen to Dianna Krall's East of the sun (and west of the moon) I notice there is faint cough coming from few rows back on the right side (around 1:10) more with Mustang/UM3X than SR-71A/UM3X.

TY. I was really on the fence between the SR71-A and P-51 -- very tough decision. Cannot wait to start burning it in. I guess I'll have it sometime next week.

Jun 11, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #984 of 4,413
^^^^^^^
Yep, on my shopping list :)

Jun 11, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #985 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by animalsrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got the shure gray tips yesterday and did A and B comparison between stock complys and Shure tips and i could not tell much difference between them. The only thing i saw was the treble was bit clearer on shure other than that it was all the same. Now i am in a quandary on which to pick as my tips. I like the comfort of complys, but shure are not bad either. Does anyone else feel the same or had a different experience

I found comply muffled the low and mid end.Again, this is depending on different ears
L3000.gif

Jun 11, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #986 of 4,413
On UM2s for tips i've found:

bi-flanges - best for treble and bass. moderate isolation, but clear sound.
tri-flanges - best treble, weak bass and not very comfortable.
Shures - best balance between treble, bass, soundstage and isolation. very good isolation.
Soft-flex - good allrounder. similar treble, but more bass than bi-flanges. relatively good fit - I think that some days I prefer biflanges, others the soft-flex. either way, it's easy to get in and out as with the flanges.
Comply large - too large for my ear.
Comply small - sounded like a mushy cave. awful!!! absolutely awful.
frown.gif

I would imagine given the housing similarities and size of the UM2 and UM3x my findings should be replicated between them.

Just a note - if you're between sizes with the soft-flex then go with the bi-flanges. If you find a good fit with the soft-flex then stick with them. hth

Jun 11, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #988 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_ah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

bi-flanges - best for treble and bass. moderate isolation, but clear sound.
tri-flanges - best treble, weak bass and not very comfortable.
Shures - best balance between treble, bass, soundstage and isolation. very good isolation.
Soft-flex - good allrounder. similar treble, but more bass than bi-flanges. relatively good fit - I think that some days I prefer biflanges, others the soft-flex. either way, it's easy to get in and out as with the flanges.
Comply large - too large for my ear.
frown.gif

I would imagine given the housing similarities and size of the UM2 and UM3x my findings should be replicated between them.

Just a note - if you're between sizes with the soft-flex then go with the bi-flanges. If you find a good fit with the soft-flex then stick with them. hth

Shure tips means shure black foam? I just order black foam to see how it perform with my UM3X. I love it would widen the soundsatge for me

Jun 11, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #989 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_ah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

frown.gif

I have the same experience with comply and um3x though I would not call them awful just not what I expected for high end IEM

Jun 11, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #990 of 4,413
yeah, a little bit of an exageration
tongue.gif

but it did make the sound rather muddy and low-fi. There was just something wrong. the fit and seal of the small complys was perfect though giving amazing isolation.
When I was referencing the shures they are the black dome-like foams - often called shure 'olives'. I used to need the small one, but after losing some weight over the past few years I've had to change to the medium - you can differentiate them by dimple markings - so make sure you get the small, medium and large to try in those and the soft-flex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back