Westone UM3X Thread
Jun 8, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #949 of 4,413
Hey guys, this one goes out to all the ones using UM56 with their UM3x:
Are you happy with your decision? Would recommend it? I have a very good comfort and seal with the triflanges modified to biflanges but i want to know if there would be more advantages in the sound using the UM56? will the sound get better? i am very exited to hear your impressions!

Jun 8, 2009 at 11:04 AM Post #950 of 4,413
Another question re: UM56... one of the distributor sites addresses the pros and cons of custom IEM's versus universal fit. They stated that customs need to be lubricated prior to insertion and removed slowly -- yes, we are talking IEM tips here :wink: Is this (a) true; and (b) applicable to the UM56's too?

Ordered my UM3x's over the weekend. Can't wait to give them a try. Now I have to figure out which amp will be most simpatico with these. Current short list is SR71-A; D10 and Pico.

Jun 8, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #952 of 4,413
Google is yr friend:
iheadphones.co.uk.

Jun 8, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #953 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Il Mostro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another question re: UM56... one of the distributor sites addresses the pros and cons of custom IEM's versus universal fit. They stated that customs need to be lubricated prior to insertion and removed slowly -- yes, we are talking IEM tips here :wink: Is this (a) true; and (b) applicable to the UM56's too?

Ordered my UM3x's over the weekend. Can't wait to give them a try. Now I have to figure out which amp will be most simpatico with these. Current short list is SR71-A; D10 and Pico.

I have never needed to lubricate my UM56 or any of my custom IEM.

All those amps will sound very good with them, but I slightly like the P-51 more. The D10 will be warmer and sound like a Predator clone.

Jun 9, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #954 of 4,413
^^^^^^^
Thanks! Can you share your impressions of the SR71-A and the P-51 with UMX3? I doubt I can go terribly wrong with either, but I'd appreciate your take on them. Lastly, any thoughts on the iQube as a match for the UMX3's? The price point is only a little more than the SR71-A.

Jun 9, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #955 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Il Mostro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^^^^^^
Thanks! Can you share your impressions of the SR71-A and the P-51 with UMX3? I doubt I can go terribly wrong with either, but I'd appreciate your take on them.

My comparison was indirect. The UM3X sounded good with the amps I tried with them (iMod/P-51, Nano/Pico, Nano/iBasso T4) and based on my experience with the ES3X and W3/UM56 tips, with UM3X falling between those two, any of the amps you mentioned will sound good.

I don't know which SR-71 I heard at CanJam (orig or A), and I didn't listen directly with the UM3X (different rooms) - but I used W3 with UM56 tips and my ES3X with that one and it gives me an idea of how the UM3X would sound. The SR-71 is less aggressive and more expansive than the P-51 (kind of like a warmer Pico), but the P-51 is intimate and inviting while being more spacious than the Predator/D10 (D10 sounds like a Predator clone). Based on the sound signatures of the amps, the UM3X will be fine with any of them. Of the ones that I tried I'd pick the P-51 or the Pico Slim. (I also really liked the Pico Slim's warmer but spacious sound with my ES3X and it should be a great match with the UM3X as well once it is released late summer).

Jun 9, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #956 of 4,413
^^^^^
Thank you. Sounds like the P-51 is more incisive (without being edgy) and splits the difference in terms of air and space between the SR71 and Pico. The Pico Slim also grabbed my interest (great form factor) but then again the inherent wait for any Pico is a reality (not to say I would not get both). I edited my post to include the iQube as an option, as the price point is only slightly north of the SR71-A.

Jun 9, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #957 of 4,413
I found the stock D10 is a little bit too warm for UM3X. Time to opamp rolling
smily_headphones1.gif
... Mmmm.. which opamp ?... mmm
smily_headphones1.gif
Or, might be, my ears are just to used to the PFE's sound signature
smily_headphones1.gif

This IEMs do really shine and very natural when listening to Ultrasone's demo tracks (FLAC). The ambient, echo, stage's environment... do sounded very natural and realistic. The piano track sound so superb. Orchestra also so 'epic'al.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 9, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #958 of 4,413
Thanks for all the input fellas. I just popped payment for the SR71-A in the mail. Next up, UM56's...

Jun 10, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #959 of 4,413
My UM3X just arrived this afternoon. Ditched the Complys straight away, they sounded muffled and I don't like foams in general. I had some Shure tri-flanges lying around so I cut the top flange off a pair of them. Sound much better, but I liked the way the Complys were short so they didn't stick out of my ear at all.

Initially - they sound very balanced across all frequencies. Bass is a bit more upfront than my KSC75s (the only thing I've had while I waited for the Westones to arrive), which is a result of the change in form factor as much as anything. Vocals are not as upfront as I expected, but I'm sure I'll get used to this. With the Koss I had to get quite loud to satisfy my ears on a noisy bus, but when I did this SQ dropped considerably. Looks like this won't be a problem anymore.

Wow.. Dream Theater's "The Answer Lies Within" came on and I'm hearing things I've never heard in it before. Much more detail than my old SF5Pro. I wish I could compare them directly (they broke), just to get an idea of the actual quality jump. Regardless, extremely happy with the purchase.

How much do they change from straight out of the box?

Jun 10, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #960 of 4,413
Not much difference since 0 hour.I think my brain/mental seem to accepting the new sound signature
smily_headphones1.gif
Yes, initially I also had the same problem with the modded tri-flanges. So, what I did was, cut the tri-flange's tube/stem shorter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back