Westone UM3X Thread
Jun 7, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #931 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The UM3X are sooooooooo different to the W3. I think maybe it was Spyro who said that the UM2/UM3X were 'related'... and that the W3 was quite a departure from that sound signature, and I have to agree, it really is.

P.S I also love trying new things... as if that wasn't obvious
ksc75smile.gif

But interestingly, IN MY EARS when using either the W3 or the UM3X, with my UM56 custom tips the sound signatures get closer to each other and the family resemblance is unmistakable. I posted my impression after CanJam that the UM3X sit between the W3 and the ES3X customs in sound signature and sound quality, but that they are not as close to the ES3X as they are to the W3.

To the group in general, I am glad to see it calming down some.

The differences between W3 and UM3X may be much different when using a variety of universal fit tips, but not huge when used with the same custom tips. With the UM56 tips the W3 are a phenomenal IEM, with similar bass and treble to the UM3X; and the main difference being that the W3 has a less rich sounding midrange with a 10th row listening position in the soundstage rather than the 1st row UM3X. It makes the W3 great for music appreciation, but not so much for monitoring a performance on stage or in a studio. Those differences do not make the W3 a bad IEM, as it was the best universal that I'd heard before the UM3X came out. It's just that the UM3X now edges it out in midrange clarity detail and presence. (for new people, see my big W3 review linked in my public profile).

The other area of improvement in the UM3X then must be in the UM3X improved response to a variety of tips and ear canal positions. One thing I notice from all the feedback here is that the UM3X are not as sensitive to what tips and ear position a person uses, so it is harder to make them sound bad. The W3 could more easily be make to sound bad depending on what tip and how deep they were placed in the ear canal. That is probably the biggest plus going for UM3X right now, and one area I would like to explore more when I get a pair for long term use. I am still planning to get a pair to review, and will likely update my Westone 3 review at that time.

With the right tips and ear canal position, I still find the W3 to still be superior to just about any other universal IEM out there, at least up until the point that the UM3X came on stage and I got to listen to them as well. The fact that the W3 are controversial (because of many people's initial difficulty in wringing the best sound out of them) does not make them a FOTM as iponderous implied. Numerous people posted that they didn't like the W3, and then recanted that after they had been able to find the right tips and ear canal position. tstarn06 was one of those people, and W3 lovers didn't blast him for posting that his Phonak Audeo PFE were better - we sympathised with his dilemma and tried to find ways that he could begin to hear the W3 sound as good as it did to ourselves. He finally did find the right tips that gave him an epiphany. Soozie, you knew there was something about the W3 that you liked and had multiple failed attempts to get them to sound right to you. We didn't blast you for that, just encouraged you along the path.

You have found the UM3X to fix the flaws that you heard in the W3, but the flaw you heard was not the same one other people complained about. Catscratch could not get midrange detail, you heard sibilance, others heard oppressive midbass humps. It wasn't the same flaw or problem for everyone - meaning there was a human factor there. I and many others have NEVER heard them to be sibilant. Other's have never found them to have an over-bearing midbass or lack detail. That makes it clear to me that it is an individual personal issue that changes the sound for some people, depending on the tips/position.

iponderous comes along and and he hasn't even heard them, yet makes statements as if they were fact, about FOTM status and such - and that sometimes irritates people who have put a great amount of effort into discovering and sharing the truth here. The negative connotation about FOTM is that people act like lemmings and buy them without using their judgement, and then act like it's the emperors new clothes and pretend they are great when they are not (or are naked).

With the W3 I think people are pretty vocal about how they like them, and interestingly it is more of a love it or hate it kind of thing than an FOTM thing. If they work well for you, they tend to work spectacularly and you have "seen the light". That makes it more frustrating because you hear exactly what they are capable of, and know that if they can sound this good for you then there must be a way to make them sound good for everyone. Well, that will never happen no matter how good a headphone is. Look at the HD600 vs HD650 crowd, or HD650 vs K701 crowd, or K1000 vs Stax O2 crowd, etc.... I think FOTM is more of a, "I will continue to pretend these are the best out there because I raved about them so much at the start that I can't say anything bad now."

Jun 7, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #932 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Soozie, you knew there was something about the W3 that you liked and had multiple failed attempts to get them to sound right to you. We didn't blast you for that, just encouraged you along the path.

I'd have blasted right back!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

You have found the UM3X to fix the flaws that you heard in the W3, but the flaw you heard was not the same one other people complained about.

But I haven't found the UM3X to fix anything except for the fit, they're smaller and more comfortable. But they're already put by for another buyer, I prefer my W3 by a big margin
smile_phones.gif

Quote:

iponderous comes along and and he hasn't even heard them, yet makes statements as if they were fact, about FOTM status and such

Whatever iponderous did or didn't say about the W3, this thread is about the UM3X. Those who need to come forward and defend the W3 in an UM3X thread should perhaps post in the W3 thread and just put the link here so no one has to read it if they don't want to.

Jun 7, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #933 of 4,413
Quote:

That's strange. My W3 tips are matte, and my Shure tips are slightly shiny, it's how I tell them apart
smile_phones.gif

The ones you see in my photo I got directly from Westone and are, as far as I can remember, the same ones that come/ came with the W3. I remember reading somewhere they're actually made by Shure - perhaps I'm wrong and they're actually made by Westone. However, with the W3's I used the large ones and I use the medium ones with the UM3X's (as I did with the SE530's).

On a different note I'm not 100% sure but I think it was you who mentioned (elsewhere?) you found the mid range 'too much', or words to that effect on the UM3X - I was puzzled when I read that. I personally think one of the strengths of the UM3X is precisely the midrange, and not only for Classical but for all types of music - I certainly don't find it 'in your face'. But I guess here's where the so called U-shaped (more bass & treble) type of EQ is preferred by quite a few. I simply find the frequency balance on the UM3X's to be absolutely superb, but as I mentioned some time ago I would NOT have appreciated such balance 15/20 years ago when I preferred more bass & treble -- but by the same token the UM3X's are not bass or treble light at all.

Jun 7, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #934 of 4,413
Quote:

I'd have blasted right back!!!!!!!!!!

But I haven't found the UM3X to fix anything except for the fit, they're smaller and more comfortable. But they're already put by for another buyer, I prefer my W3 by a big margin
smile_phones.gif

Whatever iponderous did or didn't say about the W3, this thread is about the UM3X. Those who need to come forward and defend the W3 in an UM3X thread should perhaps post in the W3 thread and just put the link here so no one has to read it if they don't want to.

Jun 7, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #935 of 4,413
I believe I am entitled to say that iponderous' remark/opinion about the W3 was made in direct comparison to the UM3X, whereby he said he didn't want to risk buying the UM3X lest they fall into the FOTM category, much like the W3s had done. I am paraphrasing, but that is what basically he posted. Hence, a direct connection between the two, so it was related. He injected the W3s into the UM3X thread, not me. And I haven't read back, but there are no doubt many posts in this thread about IEMs other than the UM3X, including, in this specific case, the SE530. That comparison is fair, but not one between the W3 and the UM3X?

Maybe my post was not about the UM3X specifically, since I don't own it (yet), but he was drawing a comparison between the two (and he owns neither), and my view was that it was a faulty conclusion (since the W3, in my view, really wasn't a FOTM phone). In other words, it was not a good reason NOT to buy the UM3X, because it wasn't true.

And thanks Larry, your eloquent response is greatly appreciated. You really understood the underlying premise here. I just didn't take the time and thought you did to put it into words. For that, I am sorry.

Jun 8, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #936 of 4,413
Larry, you always manage to say things without making people upset and for that I thank you. I saw a post in which you were berated unnecessarily by some people and you showed class and restraint.

Jun 8, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #937 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ones you see in my photo I got directly from Westone and are, as far as I can remember, the same ones that come/ came with the W3. I remember reading somewhere they're actually made by Shure - perhaps I'm wrong and they're actually made by Westone. However, with the W3's I used the large ones and I use the medium ones with the UM3X's (as I did with the SE530's).

On a different note I'm not 100% sure but I think it was you who mentioned (elsewhere?) you found the mid range 'too much', or words to that effect on the UM3X - I was puzzled when I read that. I personally think one of the strengths of the UM3X is precisely the midrange, and not only for Classical but for all types of music - I certainly don't find it 'in your face'. But I guess here's where the so called U-shaped (more bass & treble) type of EQ is preferred by quite a few. I simply find the frequency balance on the UM3X's to be absolutely superb, but as I mentioned some time ago I would NOT have appreciated such balance 15/20 years ago when I preferred more bass & treble -- but by the same token the UM3X's are not bass or treble light at all.

Exactly, they're perfectly balanced ... I love them.

Jun 8, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #938 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry, you always manage to say things without making people upset and for that I thank you. I saw a post in which you were berated unnecessarily by some people and you showed class and restraint.

Thanks. I'm saving it for when I really need it.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 8, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #939 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif

He's got professional experience with tantrums.

Jun 8, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #941 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You say that because I am a pediatrician...

... and survived. I bet sound isolation ranks pretty high among the qualities you consider for the perfect earphones.

Jun 8, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #942 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by animalsrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are those tips you are using and how do they sound in comparison to standard complys that came with UM3X. Also where can i buy them

Actually, I am also not sure what tip it is
smily_headphones1.gif
. I seem like a OEM silicone/rubber tips and it is harder than PFE's silicone tips. The complys do gives better isolations, but, quite high maintenance cost, because it last only for weeks or just couple of months. Sound wise, no significant changes in bass, but the silicone tips seem to be more brighter which suit my listening pleasure. Shure olive also very nice too. Also not much sound signature changes with the modded triple flanges , but bit painful in my ears
smily_headphones1.gif
. So, I prefers the olives and the silicone tips for daily listening.

I got it at the store/shop where I bought the UM3X.

Enjoy.

Jun 8, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #943 of 4,413
Hi everyone,

I've just come back to see if the dust has settled and mercifully it has. I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank those of you who have taken the time to answer all of my queries regarding the SE530 and the UM3X. I've found your advice very helpful. I'd particularly like to single out Spyro for his excellent descriptions and his patience.

Since this whole fracas erupted, a few of you here have sent me private messages of support, which I've really appreciated. It's made me feel, shall we say, less alienated. I also want to thank music_4321 for having the good grace to apologise publicly to me, which is gratefully accepted.

I would like to touch on an issue that I think people shouldn't forget when they participate in these on-line forums. It's very easy for some to hide behind the anonymity of an avatar in cyberspace and write things about other people that they would never have the courage to say to their face. This kind of behaviour should not be tolerated in this forum or anywhere else. We should endeavour to try and treat whoever chooses to participate in this forum with civility, and respect the right of others to express their (hopefully considered) views, even if we disagree with them. I also think that the practice of taking other poster's comments out of context and deliberately misrepresenting them in a public forum is odious, and again, should not be tolerated.

As for myself, it seems that some people here haven't taken kindly to my tone. I'd like to think that it's rather jaunty and exceedingly polite! (Damn, there are no emoticons here for me to use at the moment - picture a winking smiley face.) I do have a mischievous, some may say, subversive sense of humour. If I have upset any of you with my antics, then I am sincerely sorry for that. I meant no harm by it. I know that the discussion of all things headphone related is a serious business but I'd like to think that there might be some room here in this forum for a bit of nonsense.

Well I think that just about covers it from my perspective. Oh, and one other thing, I did order the SE530's. Donning flame suit now.

cheers.

Jun 8, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #944 of 4,413
Not sure what you are alluding to in terms of comments being taken out of context, since it didn't happen here, but nice overall sentiment nevertheless. And yes, it is very nice to get supportive PMs, I agree. Guess we both got lucky on that front. Good luck with the SE530s. I am sure you will enjoy them.

Jun 8, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #945 of 4,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure what you are alluding to in terms of comments being taken out of context, since it didn't happen here, but nice overall sentiment nevertheless. And yes, it is very nice to get supportive PMs, I agree. Guess we both got lucky on that front. Good luck with the SE530s. I am sure you will enjoy them.

Thanks tstarn06. I think this might be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back