Westone UM3x Review + Comparisons.
Oct 6, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #31 of 47

Anybody using a Portaphile with these?  I just cannot get the UM3X to sound great with this amp.  Its OK with TOmahawk, but very very warm sound with Portaphile.  Using those squishy mushroom tips that were in the fitkit.  Love the comfort of these but may have to go to something else if I'm gonna use a Portaphile.  Or buy another amp to use with them.

Experiences anyone??

Well as far as amps went I used the ALO RX and loved the results I got from the sflo2. Amazing change in sound.

Oct 16, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #34 of 47
Hey guys - Just another quick mention... I've been set on the clear flex sleeves for about three weeks now, and have been very happy with their sound! I must make sure I note, though, that I'm using the SHURE clear flex tips, NOT the westone clear flexes.

I switched in between them for a couple days, because, cosmetically, I like the westone clears better. They were more of a white/clear color and looked a little nicer because the shures tend to yellow a bit after some use. But when I had the westone tips on I realized the detail was very good, but the low end disapeared! I put the shure sleeves back on, and it came right back.

I'm not too sure of the reason, but if I had to make an assumption, I would think it has to do with the material. Both had the same tight seal, but the westones had a more waxy feel to it, rather than a rubber feel like the shure tips did... This might be a completely falacious statement, but I really can't think of any reason for this difference in sound.

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #35 of 47
Why does everyone use to cut the last flange on the triple flange?  I had never tried the triple flange with the UM3X yet, but with the Etys the triple are just the way to go.  So would like to understand the difference here if anyone can tell me.  

Jun 4, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #37 of 47

Quote:
Why does everyone use to cut the last flange on the triple flange?  I had never tried the triple flange with the UM3X yet, but with the Etys the triple are just the way to go.  So would like to understand the difference here if anyone can tell me.  

I cut my (small flange off) as I have large canals. It's more comfortable, and it exposes the highs a bit more

Jun 4, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #38 of 47

Quote:

From memory, Ety tri-flanges stem length is flush with largest flange and not as long as Shure and Westone tri-flanges.  This combined with the length of the Ety nozzle itself and it's a perfect fit/length.

But if you put a tri flange directly onto a Westone or Shure there is almost 1/4 in space between the end of the IEM nozzle and the end of the tip so this needs to be decreased. 

Jun 9, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #39 of 47
I just got my UM3X.  It is used and because of this most tips are missing.  Only the short and comply are in the box and I am not sure about using comply foam with these IEMs.  I am afraid that it is going to cut off to much the highs which are already not as strong as I would have expect coming from the TF10.  All the tips I have available at the moment are either for the TF10 or the Etymotics ER6i.  So I tried the Etys triple flange and it seems to work just fine.  The Etys triple flange are having a shorter stem compare to the Shure ones.  The overall canal length on the Etys triple flange are is in between the short and the long Comply foam included in the box.  The seal is perfect.  The sound seems really good to me.  Does anyone has tried the Etys triple flange on the UM3X and can comment about any negative SQ impact of those tips on these IEMs?    

Jun 10, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #40 of 47
I use comply foam tips and the highs are perfectly fine and detailed.
And the seal from a foam tip is wonderful so I would highly recommend them :)

Quote:
I just got my UM3X.  It is used and because of this most tips are missing.  Only the short and comply are in the box and I am not sure about using comply foam with these IEMs.  I am afraid that it is going to cut off to much the highs which are already not as strong as I would have expect coming from the TF10.  All the tips I have available at the moment are either for the TF10 or the Etymotics ER6i.  So I tried the Etys triple flange and it seems to work just fine.  The Etys triple flange are having a shorter stem compare to the Shure ones.  The overall canal length on the Etys triple flange are is in between the short and the long Comply foam included in the box.  The seal is perfect.  The sound seems really good to me.  Does anyone has tried the Etys triple flange on the UM3X and can comment about any negative SQ impact of those tips on these IEMs?    

Jun 10, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #41 of 47
I just want to add, for those who look at my comment talking about using the Etys triple flanges in the UM3X... I just realized that I was in fact using none Etys triple flanges.  The ones I have, bought on eBay, are not genuin and have a smaller canal which fit better on the UM3X stem.  The real Etys, having a bigger canal don't hold strong enough to the UM3X and stays in your ears when trying to remove the IEMs.
Sorry about that.  But I think I'll just stick with these, they are perfect... Probably similar to using the Shure triple flange but cutting the stem instead of the smallest flange.  

Jun 11, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #43 of 47

Quote:
Anybody using a Portaphile with these?  I just cannot get the UM3X to sound great with this amp.  Its OK with TOmahawk, but very very warm sound with Portaphile.  Using those squishy mushroom tips that were in the fitkit.  Love the comfort of these but may have to go to something else if I'm gonna use a Portaphile.  Or buy another amp to use with them.

Experiences anyone??

I run mine straight from a Sony Walkman.  It sounds perfect to my ears and have never felt that they would benefit from having extra amplification.

Jun 11, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #44 of 47

Quote:
I'm using the grey tips and I can't complain about the sound at all.

One thing that I've noticed is that these headphones arent very kind to bad quality sound files.

All of my music is 320kbps so I haven't had any problems there.  I have noticed that the UM3x do show up every little imperfection in a recording very clearly though.  Whether it's because the original recording/studio mix is of a lower quality or just that a singer or performer that isn't quite perfect then these IEM's are so clear that they will let you know about it.  Yet despite this they never seem to be rude about it, you can easily hear the imperfections but it never seems to spoil the music.

Jul 20, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #45 of 47
I'm curious about the build quality... I gotta admit I'm not one to baby my gear.. I recently had the RE0s and the cable was really poor so it didn't last too long. If I'm spending my money on a high end IEM that costs quite a bit, I'd like to make sure it'll last =p I'm planning on getting the replaceable cable version. Any comments on the build? That and the fit. the RE0s were great and had a good fit but it was really itchy >.< 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back