Westone UM3x Review + Comparisons.
Oct 2, 2010 at 6:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

BrianMendoza

100+ Head-Fier
I just received my Westone UM3x's this week and all I can say is, "Wow". I also own the Shure se530's and Ultimate Ear triple.fi 10's and I really enjoyed both but I couldn't help but note the flaws in both IEM's. It's no news to anyone who's been on this fourm, "se530's do great in the mids, but have recessed ends" or "triple.fi's have great hi's and decent mids and lows" etc. Simply put, Each of the two IEM's excelled in one particular area, but had often noted flaws in another area. With the UM3X's, there really is no weak point in it's presentation. This doesn't mean that it can't improve, but there really is no weak point in it's sound. I think the best way to understand this is through numbers, so here's my evaluation:

SE530:
High - 7.5
Mid - 9.5
Low - 8.5

Triple.Fi
High - 9.5
Mid - 8
Low - 8

UM3X
High - 9
Mid - 9
Low - 9

I know that it's solid performance has to do with it's "flat" EQ, which some may initially get turned off by, because when some people think, "flat" EQ, they think boring. But let me tell you, I REALLY, REALLY enjoyed these, and could not help but get into in my music, bobbing my head, air drumming, etc, haha. To me, after hearing these, rather than saying "flat EQ", I would rather explain it as, "Synchronized/Balanced" EQ. All levels perform so well, that not one section of sound overpowers the other. 

As far as soundstage, comparing these three IEMs, I say, with confidence, that the UM3x has this one locked down. Again this has to do with its' "flat" EQ. My best way of describing this is by pointing out the flaws I noticed in the two other monitors:

WIth the SE530, because the mids are so emphasized, it makes you feel as though the singer is performing right in front of you, with the rest of the band 4 rows back. Highs and lows both roll off (not dramatically), but definitely feel less present than the mids.

With the Triple.fi, it was nearly the opposite, in this configuration: the high hat/ride/crash/etc cymbal of the drummer right in front of you, the bass drum/toms and the bassist 2 rows behind that, and then the singer 4 rows back.

Don't get me wrong, though. Vocals on the 530 were great, it just felt like the rest lacked, and with the triple.fi, the highs were great, the bass slightly less great, but with the mids lacking a bit. With the UM3x, the soundstage was very equal, not one section overpowered the other, and had excellent instrument separation. I haven't heard soundstage and instrument separation done this well in an IEM yet. And even though I'm comparing the 530/triple.fi/umx3, I've heard a pretty good deal of other monitors including: W3, e5c, e4c, ie8, UE700, etc and like I said earlier, I can say, with confidence, that the UM3x easily takes this one. And again, with the UM3x, some might argue, "the highs/mids/lows could be better, but every headphone, whether IEMs or Full Sized, could be better. I can't say it enough, I really enjoyed the UM3x's sound signature. I really didn't feel like I was missing out on anything like I did with my 530's and triple.fi's. Shortly put, it's just pretty darn hard to legitimately complain about the UM3x.

As far as fit goes, and this will be different for different people as different people have different ear shapes, but again, to me, the UM3x takes this one by a landslide. The fit of the actual monitor, cable, weight, etc. are on a different level here for me. The fit is SO flush to my ear. I know if i managed to fall asleep with these in my ears, there's no way in hell that I would be bothered by them in my ears. The se530 fit pretty well also, but wasn't nearly as flush, and the weight of the cable always bothered me. No matter what, I knew they were in. With the UM3x, their presence in my ear would slowly vanish. And if you've ever seen the triple.fi 10, I don't even need to tell you how much those stick out of the ear. The fit wasn't an issue for me, but as far as being flush, you're not hiding anything with those. But I still think they did a good job on the comfort level on them.

With build quality, I think all of them were made pretty darn well. I don't have an obvious winner in this department, just appreciation for each IEM's build. You would expect that at their price points, that this shouldn't be too drastic of an issue. I know a lot of members mentioned SE530 cable problems, but I never had any issues with this. It may be due to my overly cautious behavior with my IEMs... Well, these are all $400-$500 dollar monitors! C'mon now!

I've also seen a lot of threads comparing the W3 to the UM3x. I think both sets are great! I just have more appreciation for the UM3x's soundstage and SOLID sound performance. I can appreciate that some listeners enjoy the W3 over the UM3x, but I'm a fairly critical listener, and even though I enjoyed the W3's, I just felt the lows were a bit too bloated at times and the high's were slightly too sparkly (definitely not something I could listen to for a long period of time). It just had a more "artificial" or "emphasized" sound to them, which I could appreciate, but it wasn't for me. I know the UM3x's have been regarded as "boring" but, I really can't relate to that description at all. I hate to say that these reviewers are making an elementary mistake, by not getting that proper seal, but I can't imagine, that with a proper seal, that the sound of these UM3x's won't engage you. I really can't come to agree with them on their description of "boring".

Lastly, I'd have to say that these are DEFINITELY my go to monitors. And trust me, I have no connection to Westone in any way. I would even look for reasons to be an Ultimate Ears fan boy, but I can't avoid Westone's direction with IEMs. You can't miss with these. If they're not great for a certain type of music, they're definitely at least a considerable choice, rather than being almost entirely unsuited, which some IEMs are. I hope this review/comparison helped a lot cuz I know I did a ton of research before buying my UM3's and could never really get a usable example of what writer's were talking about when it came to certain flaws or strengths. GO GET THEM NOW!

P.S. I got the removable cable version and I am really happy that I did! The replaceable cable has a forming/moldable portion, for comfortably looping around your ear, like the triple.fi and newer se530 (the se535). I don't think the version with the built in cable does... but either way, it's definitely worth the extra dough for the ability to replace the cable if any accidents were to occur.

Oct 2, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #2 of 47
Nicely written, in plain English for everyone to understand.

Before this thread vanishes into thin air I suggest you copy your review and post it in the 'official' UM3X thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/422240/westone-um3x-appreciation-thread --  eventually, this may prove more helpful.

Oct 2, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #3 of 47
Thanks man! And yeh, I'm definitely going to have to do that. That thread was where I did a lot of my investigating on the UM3x before buying em.

Oct 2, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #4 of 47
Glad you love the UM3x, the flat frequency responses is what I love the most about them too.

However, I must admit I find the old unremovable cables more comfortable than the new removable cables with the moldable loop portions, even though they do make them less damageable.

Oct 2, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #5 of 47
I am glad you really, really, really like them.  Nice comparison.  As to your scoring system I think you might want to explain yourself and how your numerical rating system works if you do another review.  Is this a score for flat eq in that range, quantity or just an overall olympic score?  Or all of the above? 

If someone really, really, really likes highs I guess they should buy the triple fis since the mid and low scores were only 1 point below the westones.  Then again maybe your narrative hits it just right and people can read so blow off the scoring scheme entirely!  Yes, that's it!

Well done!
smile_phones.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMendoza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SE530:
High - 7.5
Mid - 9.5
Low - 8.5

Triple.Fi
High - 9.5
Mid - 8
Low - 8

UM3X
High - 9
Mid - 9
Low - 9

I know that it's solid performance has to do with it's "flat" EQ, which some may initially get turned off by, because when some people think, "flat" EQ, they think boring. But let me tell you, I REALLY, REALLY enjoyed these,

Oct 2, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #6 of 47
Thanks Danz! And yeh man, if having a "flat" eq is a bad thing, I'll take all the "flat" products anyone doesn't want. Oh hey and, I've heard that there's a difference, sonically, between the attatched and removable cable version? Is this just garbage or a legitimate difference? And I guess there's also an "older" version of the UM3x? Do you have any knowledge on this?

And Bixby you're right! haha. I should've explained myself a little better, so I guess this is my chance...

As far as my rating system went, I guess I went with a "school" grading system:
10 =A+
9 =A-
8 =B- and so on.

I honestly couldn't say any of these headphones fell short of a C rating in any area of sound. As far as the slight point differences between the three of them... I guess it's because, even though there are noticable differences between the three, I really couldn't justify restating some things other members have said, like "the bass is aweful on IEM X", or "The treble sucks on IEM Y, blah, blah". I felt that those remarks were just too exaggerated, and almost childish at times. I can't lie to myself or anyone else and say anything that dramatic about either of these headphones. I think they're all pretty darn good.

I also felt that if I gave anything more than a 2 point difference, that would be a bit exaggerated. As a reader, I would interpretate anyting more than a two point difference, like the difference between standard iPhone headphones and any triple driver headphone. Again, my interpretation isn't everyone else's, but... a two point difference on a "school" grading system, is like saying one is graded as a C, and the other, an A, which I really couldn't legitimatly justify between the three IEMs. I mean, even a one point difference, (which would be like an B to a A grade), I feel is a pretty significant difference also.

With your example, choosing the triple.fi over the Westone because of the great highs, and only one point difference in mids and lows, I can certainly understand if someone were to make that decision. We have members on head-fi who have made that exact decision, for those exact reasons. And same goes with the 530's. I just really feel like the UM3x was a very solid, all-around performer, and my use of the number rating was my best shot at exemplifying that. I hope that doesn't sound aggressive in any way, because I actually really agree with you: if you LOVE treble, go with the triple.fi's, just understand that for that preference, you'll be losing out a little bit more on the mids and lows, than you would if you went with the Westones.

Anyways... Thanks, everyone, for all of the input! I really appreciate all the kind responses!

- Brian

Oct 3, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #7 of 47
The original version of the UM3x came with un-replaceable cables, which is still available. I think some people claimed the replaceable cables do sound better sonically, but I've only got the ones with replaceable cables so I have no idea. I had the UM2 with the un-replaceable cables, and to me, they felt more comfortable as the moldable loop part of my UM3x kept pulling the earpiece out of my right ear slightly, which made the stereo image a little imbalanced, to me, that's the only drawback.

Quote:
Thanks Danz! And yeh man, if having a "flat" eq is a bad thing, I'll take all the "flat" products anyone doesn't want. Oh hey and, I've heard that there's a difference, sonically, between the attatched and removable cable version? Is this just garbage or a legitimate difference? And I guess there's also an "older" version of the UM3x? Do you have any knowledge on this?

Oct 3, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #8 of 47
That's a really good point... Every now and then i've had to give my left monitor a slight push to wedge it in my ear a little further. I didn't even consider that the moldable loop may be the reason for it. Now I'm kinda curious... Have you seen how underneath the clear sleeve of the moldable loop there's a metal wire (I'd say, slightly thicker the the width of a staple, and about an inch and a half long)? That's what's allowing that clear sleeve to be moldable. I wonder what it would be like to remove the clear sleeve and molding wire all together...

I'd volunteer my own cable, but other than my occasional push, I've kinda enjoyed the moldable loop. Definitely a good point though.

Oct 3, 2010 at 5:14 AM Post #9 of 47
I never really saw the need for ear guides with these types of earphones.  The foam tips hold well, especially the Shure tips, and the earphone shape sits well in the ear and is shaped to fit without a lot of free play.  The wire goes over the ear and just sits there.  Now the Triple.Fi 10 has a need as the unit sits out of the ear.  It needs a support system.  Similar goes for other earphones like the IE8 where the earphone itself isn't tucked into the ear.  However on earphones like the UM3X and SE530, no need.  You can run the chin slider to take up slack and you're golden.

The UM3X does things other earphones can't.  The ability to separate and place sounds is outstanding.  It offers a high level of detail and texture and is quite revealing to all the little bits of sound in the music.

The Triple.Fi 10 and SE530 are quite opposites.  They almost do the inverse of each other.  The Triple.Fi 10 has bass and treble emphasis with a slightly reduced midrange.  The SE530 has midrange focus with less bass and treble response.  The Triple.Fi 10 has very thick notes that carry edge and energy.  The SE530 has a short, clean note that's very dynamic but thinly pronounced.

The UM3X has been one of my favorite earphones.  It just brings a high level of performance to the table.  I also really enjoy the Triple.Fi 10.  It's a very fun, engaging, and enveloping sound.  The SE530 brings some of the better midrange available in an IEM and offers effortless dynamics and a clean note.

Oct 3, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #10 of 47
I too am a huge fan of the instrument separation! I think it's done very well and accurately. And all area's of music keep you interested. Not just the highs, mids, or lows. It's like they're all in perfect sync, in terms of performance.

I also did enjoy the triple.fi and se530's I just feel the performance on the UM3x was so solid, there wasn't anything for me to really complain about.

Now, for me, it's time to make a decision: Shure Black foams VS Triple Flanges (Modded to Bi-Flanges). I've been testing these constantly throughout the last couple days, and I really cant come out with a clear cut winner. And then, Everytime I think I've got one, I'll listen to the other just to be sure, and I can't make my decision again. I'll tell you, though, right now I've got the Shure Black Foams on them right now... (Haha, and in a couple hours, I'm sure the Bi-Flanges will be back on)

Oct 3, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #11 of 47
Ok, I just thought that I would post an update here in regards to the tips. I was browsing through the forums and someone mentioned that he too was inbetween black olives and bi flanges, and the reason the black foams didn't have the sure vote was because he mentioned slight fit issues because of the tapered end. So another member suggested using the black olives in reverse, with the fatter side in the front, and I instantly thought that sounded a bit funny, but gave it a shot anyways. And after giving it a couple different songs to test its' results I am really surprised!

Everything felt slightly improved here... the seal was a little tighter, because of the larger end in the front, which lead to better bass performance. And also, with the black olives, the hard middle insert, that holds the tip to the stem, ends about halfway through the tip and the front is completely black olive foam. With this reversed, that hard tip is in the front, with the foam around it, so it gives it a hybrid: hard middle/foam edge, and it gives the treble back that the foam usually eats up.

I know this still might sound funny, and you might be thinking, "Does he literally mean to flip the tip completely around?", and yes, that's what I mean. Here's a pic just to get this straight:

Oct 4, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #12 of 47
Good review, I can relate to and agree with your observations. I agree with previous statements that thanks to your down-to-earth style, and use of universal terms, this is a good review for those new to head-fi terminology/concepts.

Oct 4, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #13 of 47
Great review... Although I do have to ask: do you think the UM3Xs are flat? I used to think they were flat as well until i got more neutral headphones and found the bass to be a little emphasized on them. Don't get me wrong, I loved the um3xs but thy aren't really flat...

That's just my opinion though. I am glad you did comparisons with the other headphones too; I had the triples at the same time as the 3xs and felt the same way; I started switching between the two forbvarious genres of music until I eventually sold the triples to fund for an amp for the westones.

Oct 4, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #14 of 47
What 'neutral' headphones did you use for comparison?

You find the bass a little emphasized? I actually find them a little lacking in sub bass extension, even though it's totally acceptable.

Quote:
Great review... Although I do have to ask: do you think the UM3Xs are flat? I used to think they were flat as well until i got more neutral headphones and found the bass to be a little emphasized on them. Don't get me wrong, I loved the um3xs but thy aren't really flat...

That's just my opinion though. I am glad you did comparisons with the other headphones too; I had the triples at the same time as the 3xs and felt the same way; I started switching between the two forbvarious genres of music until I eventually sold the triples to fund for an amp for the westones.

Oct 4, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #15 of 47

Quote:

What "more neutral" headphones are you referring to? They may be more neutral or possibly they may be a bit bass shy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back