Westone ES5
Oct 1, 2012 at 4:42 AM Post #5,236 of 5,554
Quote:
I had the stepdance long ago and I liked it. Now I have my O2/ODAC and I like them pretty good as well, it's definitely an upgrade, but I still don't carry it around with me. I use it for listening sessions at the library or desk, and I want a more forward sound than my LCD2.

I was making a statement about adding amps that change the sound, and amps that cost as much as full-sized desktop amps. He does claim he loves the sound right now, so I'm guessing the upgrade he wants is the dynamics, detail, instrument separation, etc. which comes with a very transparent amp since it won't change the sound.

This is the key point. As you know, the Stepdance does not change the sound signature at all. It is just a black background with greater clarity and transparency. I don't like amps that alter the ES5 sound (and I have tried many that do).

Oct 1, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #5,238 of 5,554
Thanks for the comments guys. I actually returned the Dragonfly for non-audio related reasons so I can start out completely from scratch. Also note that these are my only actual pair of serious hifi headphones/earphones of any sort. I just don't have the money right now to buy different headphones/rigs so I want something at home that I really enjoy with these. For me anyways I think I can live with them perfectly fine as my only pair of headphones/earphones so I'd like to optimize that the best I can.

The ODAC/O2 combo looked reasonable but it's important I have a DAC that can accept up to 24/96 audio since I have high rez. I tried the Stepdance2 with my ES5's before and enjoyed it but I'd occasionally hear this high pitched noise even after sending it back to get it looked at so I'd be nervous to buy anything from that family.

Oct 1, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #5,239 of 5,554
ODAC does 24/96. It doesn't do 24/88.

Quote from ODAC page. You know he's pretty damn serious when his claim is subjective, but he's ALL about objectivity and measurements.

A NOTE FOR 24/88 FANS: Some have asked about 24/88 high resolution audio support (popular for SACD rips). While the ODAC doesn’t support 24/88, it does support the audibly identical 24/44. It’s trivial to re-sample 24/88 audio to 24/44 with no artifacts as it’s a simple divide-by-two operation (and one the operating system will perform for you automatically). I know many audiophiles probably think they’re losing something, but nobody has proven they are. Meyer & Moran demonstrated in a very in-depth study that even 16/44 audio sounded identical to SACD. Another good read is 24/192 Music Downloads. And if you refuse to believe all that, try resampling some 24/88 audio to 24/44 and compare them yourself with Foobar and the ABX add-on. It’s been done at HydrogenAudio and elsewhere always with the same result: Unless you mess up the resampling somehow, or change the levels, you can’t tell them apart.

Quote:
Thanks for the comments guys. I actually returned the Dragonfly for non-audio related reasons so I can start out completely from scratch. Also note that these are my only actual pair of serious hifi headphones/earphones of any sort. I just don't have the money right now to buy different headphones/rigs so I want something at home that I really enjoy with these. For me anyways I think I can live with them perfectly fine as my only pair of headphones/earphones so I'd like to optimize that the best I can.

The ODAC/O2 combo looked reasonable but it's important I have a DAC that can accept up to 24/96 audio since I have high rez. I tried the Stepdance2 with my ES5's before and enjoyed it but I'd occasionally hear this high pitched noise even after sending it back to get it looked at so I'd be nervous to buy anything from that family.

Oct 1, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #5,240 of 5,554
That's probably not much of a problem then since I have a limited amount of 24/88 music (though I disagree high resolution music is no different than 16/44 but yea...) and I doubt I'd miss much. I've been reading up on some of their stuff and it's pretty interesting - the ODAC is anti-buzzword compliant basically but there seems to be a lot of positive feedback about it.

Just a quick question for owners: for the combination O2/ODAC, how is the battery life? Does it run well when it's about to die? Are there indicators that it's dying?

Oct 1, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #5,241 of 5,554
I never really thought about battery life because it never occurred to me. I don't listen to music for more than 5 hours straight and I also don't have the O2 unplugged for more than three days at a time. Apparently the normal version runs 7-9 hours and low-power version 30 hours. I'm fairly certain mine is the normal version.

When the battery starts to die at the very end, I recall the sound getting weird. I forgot though, it's been too long.

The ODAC is powered via USB.
Quote:
That's probably not much of a problem then since I have a limited amount of 24/88 music (though I disagree high resolution music is no different than 16/44 but yea...) and I doubt I'd miss much. I've been reading up on some of their stuff and it's pretty interesting - the ODAC is anti-buzzword compliant basically but there seems to be a lot of positive feedback about it.

Just a quick question for owners: for the combination O2/ODAC, how is the battery life? Does it run well when it's about to die? Are there indicators that it's dying?

Oct 12, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #5,242 of 5,554
to the various people wondering if their fit is an issue, here is a test method that has worked well for me.

put your customs in and leave them in for a few minutes so that the flexible part has a chance to warm up to your body temperature, then give them a good press into your ears, and then move your mouth or head around a bit, but not extremely, so that they kind of settle into the position that they will probably end up in over the long term.

then... go over to your sink and turn the water on, or better yet find a vacuum and turn it on.    The point is you are going for a loud, consistent sound that will easily expose an imperfect seal. anything will do as long as its not a really low sub bass sound..  a blender is another good one.

now without music playing, listen to the sound of the sink or vacuum or whatever.  then give the iem's another good press into your ears, them move your jaw or head again..   keep doing things like this and you'll very quickly notice if you have an incomplete seal on one or both ears because you will suddenly, or consistently hear the noise coming in.   if you're really not sure.. start very very slowly pushing one of the iem's out of seal until you start hearing the noise get stronger, then press it back in and hold it where you know it is completely sealed.. then let go or move your jaw or whatever..    again it should become pretty obvious pretty quick if you have a shell that doesnt seal.

Now of course customs with no music playing will never completely block out the sound of something like a vacuum, but you should be able to tell very easily the difference between the "sealed out sound" and the sound leaking in through a broken seal. 

hope this makes sense. 

Oct 13, 2012 at 4:21 AM Post #5,243 of 5,554
My left earpiece is loose, my ES5s are with Westone at the moment, and I requested additive to the canal for my left side. I'll report back with results in a week. Hopefully they won't mess everything up.
Quote:
to the various people wondering if their fit is an issue, here is a test method that has worked well for me.

put your customs in and leave them in for a few minutes so that the flexible part has a chance to warm up to your body temperature, then give them a good press into your ears, and then move your mouth or head around a bit, but not extremely, so that they kind of settle into the position that they will probably end up in over the long term.

then... go over to your sink and turn the water on, or better yet find a vacuum and turn it on.    The point is you are going for a loud, consistent sound that will easily expose an imperfect seal. anything will do as long as its not a really low sub bass sound..  a blender is another good one.

now without music playing, listen to the sound of the sink or vacuum or whatever.  then give the iem's another good press into your ears, them move your jaw or head again..   keep doing things like this and you'll very quickly notice if you have an incomplete seal on one or both ears because you will suddenly, or consistently hear the noise coming in.   if you're really not sure.. start very very slowly pushing one of the iem's out of seal until you start hearing the noise get stronger, then press it back in and hold it where you know it is completely sealed.. then let go or move your jaw or whatever..    again it should become pretty obvious pretty quick if you have a shell that doesnt seal.

Now of course customs with no music playing will never completely block out the sound of something like a vacuum, but you should be able to tell very easily the difference between the "sealed out sound" and the sound leaking in through a broken seal. 

hope this makes sense. 

Oct 13, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #5,244 of 5,554
I'm having mine sent back as well. realized I haven't posted pictures of my  es5 yet so here we go.

in real life the carbon fibre isn't that shiny.

Nov 1, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #5,246 of 5,554
My es5's seem to be of fine quality, but when ever I smile the left piece breaks seal, which means its pretty much a no-go for using it as a monitor when performing. After one refitting it still does this. I guess its not necessary because I'm not going on turn any time soon, but it would have been nice to get it right. 

Nov 9, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #5,248 of 5,554
Hi Guys

Anyone using the ES5 with an iBasso DX100? any impressions on that?

thanks,
Houbi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back