Westone ES5
Nov 22, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #5,253 of 5,554
Happy Thanksgiving and Happy 5 listening! 
duggehsmile.png

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #5,254 of 5,554
Hey guys,

Been a while since I've posted in this thread. After pursuing two customs, I fine-tuned my home rig. But every time I pulled out the ES5, I thought how great they sounded. I started A/Bing them with comparable (in price) full-size cans, like the Ultrasone Signature Pro. Unfortunately, the Sig Pro has a sonic signature more to my liking. In comparison, the ES5 sounded congested and dark. After studying various measurements from Golden Ears I have come up with an EQ curve that I think preserves the glorious mids of the ES5, but offers more bass extension, and more air up top, widening the soundstage, and becoming quite a listen in my opinion. It's a totally different earphone. More fun, more vivid, more engaging. 

Compared to the Sig Pro, the ES5 is just not as natural sounding in soundstage, and I will never be able to EQ in the sparkle, shimmer and detail up top that the Sig Pro has. However, this is a matter of preference as the ES5 has a more forward sound signature and isn't so laid back, which is preferable with much of my music, for me. The mids are so clean, and the bass so tight on the ES5. For on the go, it can't be beat, and I have no desire to tote around the Sig Pro outside of home. 

Obviously, I wish I didn't have to EQ anything, but this is so satisfying for me, I thought I'd share my tweak. See what you think. It's a basic EQ on a basic 10-band:

32Hz - +5db
64 - +3
128 - +1
256 - -1
4K - +3
8K - +1.5
16K - +5

Nov 28, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #5,255 of 5,554
Unfortunately, the Sig Pro has a sonic signature more to my liking. In comparison, the ES5 sounded congested and dark. After studying various measurements from Golden Ears I have come up with an EQ curve that I think preserves the glorious mids of the ES5, but offers more bass extension, and more air up top, widening the soundstage, and becoming quite a listen in my opinion. It's a totally different earphone. More fun, more vivid, more engaging. 

Compared to the Sig Pro, the ES5 is just not as natural sounding in soundstage, and I will never be able to EQ in the sparkle, shimmer and detail up top that the Sig Pro has.

This is the funny thing I observed about the ES5. Everytime when I do a head to head comparison of the ES5 against another iem/headphone (Fitear TG!334 included) I always thought that they sounded better than the ES5. However, when I listen to only the ES5 or only another iem/headphone, I will feel that the ES5 is still better and more natural sounding.

Nov 28, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #5,256 of 5,554
Quote:
Hey guys,

Been a while since I've posted in this thread. After pursuing two customs, I fine-tuned my home rig. But every time I pulled out the ES5, I thought how great they sounded. I started A/Bing them with comparable (in price) full-size cans, like the Ultrasone Signature Pro. Unfortunately, the Sig Pro has a sonic signature more to my liking. In comparison, the ES5 sounded congested and dark. After studying various measurements from Golden Ears I have come up with an EQ curve that I think preserves the glorious mids of the ES5, but offers more bass extension, and more air up top, widening the soundstage, and becoming quite a listen in my opinion. It's a totally different earphone. More fun, more vivid, more engaging. 

Compared to the Sig Pro, the ES5 is just not as natural sounding in soundstage, and I will never be able to EQ in the sparkle, shimmer and detail up top that the Sig Pro has. However, this is a matter of preference as the ES5 has a more forward sound signature and isn't so laid back, which is preferable with much of my music, for me. The mids are so clean, and the bass so tight on the ES5. For on the go, it can't be beat, and I have no desire to tote around the Sig Pro outside of home. 

Obviously, I wish I didn't have to EQ anything, but this is so satisfying for me, I thought I'd share my tweak. See what you think. It's a basic EQ on a basic 10-band:

32Hz - +5db
64 - +3
128 - +1
256 - -1
4K - +3
8K - +1.5
16K - +5

Strange, because in my case "congested and dark" could NEVER be how my ES5 would be described.  That would better describe my old Ultrasone Edition 9 or Darth Beyers.  

When I first got the ES5 they sounded a bit bright to me for the first few days.  They truly did tame after a couple of days of playing music through them, which is unusual for a balanced armature IEM to change with burn-in, but ever since then I have enjoyed them immensely.  They are the closest thing Westone has to the JH16 right now.

Maybe your ES5 don't have tips that are deep enough, or they are too deep, or the openings hit against some flesh in your ear canal, or something like that?

Nov 28, 2012 at 4:33 AM Post #5,257 of 5,554
I certainly find the ES5 to have a clean presentation with lots of detail and nuance. There is nothing dark or congested in the sound. I have played with and abandoned EQing. I certainly wouldn't add a V-shaped EQ profile. The only alteration to the sound that I have found beneficial is crossfeed to eliminate the superstereo effect. This is one of the reasons I consider my Rockboxed Classic to be an fine portable source with the ES5.

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #5,259 of 5,554
Thanks for the replies, guys. Now I am thinking about fit issues. I never really thought they were lacking in the high end til I A/B'd with the Sig Pro. The SP is NOT a bright phone, and is similar to the Edition 9 SS. I've heard much brighter in the HD800 and HiFiMAN stuff. Compared to the SP, my ES5 seriously lacks air, sparkle, shimmer and detail up high. I can EQ in some of it, but it still does not sound as natural. 

I wish you could hear the Sig Pro. Maybe it really is that amazing. 

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #5,260 of 5,554
Quote:
Well I had the exact symptoms of SoundFreaq, but was remedied entirely with my aftermarket cables from DHC.

Hmmm... You like the Symbiote? I usually don't consider cabling to have such a dramatic effect. 

Nov 28, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #5,261 of 5,554
Me neither, but the Symbiote really opened up the top end, air, sparkle, shimmer, detail, etc. I think some here remember me complaining about this early on when I first got my ES5, but after getting the symbiote, I stopped whining because everything was fixed. :| It's strange how sometimes cables don't make such a noticeable difference, but other times, it does. Symbiote certainly shocked me.
Quote:

Hmmm... You like the Symbiote? I usually don't consider cabling to have such a dramatic effect. 

Nov 28, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #5,265 of 5,554
Never felt the ES5 sounded dark or congested either. Those are pretty much the last words I'd use to describe them and I'm coming from SA5Ks. Those things are like staring into the sun lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back