Westone ES5
Sep 25, 2012 at 4:35 AM Post #5,221 of 5,554
Who are you talking to?

I remember talking to someone there via email about using Lavender oil and they mentioned I should only use OtoEase as that is what they come with.  I informed them that OtoEase uses Lavender oil and they replied "Oh".  >.<

Sadly, the new stuff has now disinfecting properties which to me doesn't make sense how that would be safer than the old stuff which actually had just enough alcohol in it.  Maybe it was a resistant strain/super bug? 
basshead.gif
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 28, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #5,224 of 5,554
hi... I am a new ES5 user.. I received them on August 30th. I have been generally pretty happy with them since I got used to wearing them and taking them off without much hassle. But I did feel some pressure points/discomfort inside both ears after wearing them for more than 30 mins. I took them back to my dealer/audiologist today.  She said they usually start by filing off a bit and she actually did it.   After doing this, they surely fit easily, but I suspect she may have filed more than required.  If I press on my ears, the sound is fuller. does this mean that the fit is too loose in some places ?   Also the places where she filed have scratches now and I can actually feel it when removing the IEMs. She said that the finish will smooth out over time.  But I am a bit concerned about those scratches. Who wants to pay 1k for a scratched IEM that scrapes the ear canals while taking them off.. I am really tempted to give them a call and ask for new impressions.. I just have a couple of days before the 30 day refit warranty. Actually today may be the last day considering that sept 30 is on sunday. 
Anyone else had these issues ?

Thanks in advance!

Sep 28, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #5,225 of 5,554
I was under the impression that Westone offered 90 days refit period.
Quote:
hi... I am a new ES5 user.. I received them on August 30th. I have been generally pretty happy with them since I got used to wearing them and taking them off without much hassle. But I did feel some pressure points/discomfort inside both ears after wearing them for more than 30 mins. I took them back to my dealer/audiologist today.  She said they usually start by filing off a bit and she actually did it.   After doing this, they surely fit easily, but I suspect she may have filed more than required.  If I press on my ears, the sound is fuller. does this mean that the fit is too loose in some places ?   Also the places where she filed have scratches now and I can actually feel it when removing the IEMs. She said that the finish will smooth out over time.  But I am a bit concerned about those scratches. Who wants to pay 1k for a scratched IEM that scrapes the ear canals while taking them off.. I am really tempted to give them a call and ask for new impressions.. I just have a couple of days before the 30 day refit warranty. Actually today may be the last day considering that sept 30 is on sunday. 

Thanks in advance!

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #5,228 of 5,554
Quote:

Thanks in advance!

Give your ears a chance to adjust to the smaller tips before refitting.

You can buff out scratches with these:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=62127&cat=1,250,43243,43245
Get the set of nine pads. Working from rough to fine, you can quickly return the tips to the original shine.

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #5,229 of 5,554
Sep 29, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #5,230 of 5,554
Quote:
How's your Piano Forte IX? Can you give me a short description and a short comparison to the ES5? :) Or a link where you've posted this already?

A comparison of the PF IX to the ES5...! Now that is a worthy challenge. You will have to give me some time.

(I like them both - and they each have a definite niche in my life - but they are very different.)

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #5,231 of 5,554
I can definitely imagine, given just by reading the description of the PF9, the whole concept seems to be different... However, I'm definitely looking forward to the comparison! Maybe I can help you later if Ianmedium is in Vancouver and is kind enough to get together with me and let me do a nice thorough comparison.
Quote:

A comparison of the PF IX to the ES5...! Now that is a worthy challenge. You will have to give me some time.

(I like them both - and they each have a definite niche in my life - but they are very different.)

Oct 1, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #5,232 of 5,554
Hey guys, kind of a new ES5 owner here (well I've had them for ~3 months but had to send them in a few times so haven't spent a ton of time with them). Absolutely love them, especially after spending years with the ES3X which I think it perfectly improved upon, and now I'm trying to find a good DAC/Amp combination to use with my Macbook Pro. I've seen some suggestions but I'd just like to get another gauge on what people have been using/have used (especially since most suggestions were for portable setups). Portability isn't really a factor at all for me and my preferred range would probably be $300-$700. I've used the Dragonfly with them and that definitely improved on the headphone jack of the MB but I wonder if I can get a little more out of these beautiful earphones... I also admit I'm not sure if I should spend more money towards a DAC or amp.

Oct 1, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #5,233 of 5,554
Well, some people will tell you to get this, some will tell you to get that. Then some amps will change the sound, some that will completely dissatisfy you.

My philosophy is, if it's made to be portable, keep it portable. Don't add bulk to your chain; the ES5s were fine-tuned to sound exactly like it sounds right now. It's also very sensitive for use with any portable music player. IEMs are meant to be just enjoying a very hi-fidelity sound on-the-go. You have amps and dacs for intense listening sessions at home with your full-sized headphones. Why put spoilers, body kits, engine mods, aftermarket exhaust and coils, and brembo brakes to a luxury sedan?

If you love the sound as is, keep your rig as it is. If you REALLY need a DAC/Amp for some crazy reason, then you're going to be aiming for a very transparent combination, which is definitely extremely hard to come across. I do notice that you're wanting to use this rig with your MBP, so it's semi-stationary. I have the O2/ODAC and, though I didn't get to listen for very long, the Dragonfly held its ground against my combo pretty well. If I had a Dragonfly, I wouldn't find it worth the $ and the hassle, to upgrade to the O2/ODAC, which is as transparent neutral as it gets for a portable.

Further, spending $700 bucks on an amp like an RXMK3... A Schiit Mjolnir costs $750. A used V200 costs $700-750. Can you really justify an RXMK3? What's worth it to somebody will not be to another, so all this is really up to YOU to decide.

Quote:
Hey guys, kind of a new ES5 owner here (well I've had them for ~3 months but had to send them in a few times so haven't spent a ton of time with them). Absolutely love them, especially after spending years with the ES3X which I think it perfectly improved upon, and now I'm trying to find a good DAC/Amp combination to use with my Macbook Pro. I've seen some suggestions but I'd just like to get another gauge on what people have been using/have used (especially since most suggestions were for portable setups). Portability isn't really a factor at all for me and my preferred range would probably be $300-$700. I've used the Dragonfly with them and that definitely improved on the headphone jack of the MB but I wonder if I can get a little more out of these beautiful earphones... I also admit I'm not sure if I should spend more money towards a DAC or amp.

Oct 1, 2012 at 4:20 AM Post #5,234 of 5,554
^^
I will only say:

iPod Classic > Meier Audio Stepdance (now replaced by the Quickstep) > ES5 
is meaningfully better than 
iPod Classic > ES5.

It is the difference between excellent portable audio (no Stepdance/Quickstep) and a home headphone rig that happens to be portable. It is worth it to me. 

Oct 1, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #5,235 of 5,554
I had the stepdance long ago and I liked it. Now I have my O2/ODAC and I like them pretty good as well, it's definitely an upgrade, but I still don't carry it around with me. I use it for listening sessions at the library or desk, and I want a more forward sound than my LCD2.

I was making a statement about adding amps that change the sound, and amps that cost as much as full-sized desktop amps. He does claim he loves the sound right now, so I'm guessing the upgrade he wants is the dynamics, detail, instrument separation, etc. which comes with a very transparent amp since it won't change the sound.

Quote:
^^
I will only say:

iPod Classic > Meier Audio Stepdance (now replaced by the Quickstep) > ES5 
is meaningfully better than 
iPod Classic > ES5.

It is the difference between excellent portable audio (no Stepdance/Quickstep) and a home headphone rig that happens to be portable. It is worth it to me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back