Westone ES5
Nov 2, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #3,541 of 5,554
Nov 2, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #3,543 of 5,554
Quote:
Hey guys....

Its a really bad day..
I lost my right earpiece of the Westone Es5s....

I am catching up on this thread for the first time in about three months. (I have been travelling.) I am really sorry to hear about this. This is one of the reasons that I like my aftermarket TWcu cable from qusp. He uses solid pins and can make them a bit thicker which is what I had him do. It makes for a more secure connection. I check them regularly before putting them on. They still can slowly pull away over many uses from tugging. But they won't pull out quickly or unexpectedly. I am thus confident when I take them out, and hang them off me ears to talk etc. that they aren't going anywhere.

Also the cable sounds good but I can't prove it.  
biggrin.gif

Nov 3, 2011 at 4:46 AM Post #3,544 of 5,554
With HP-P1 only - sound more focused, less "swirling around", tames mid a bit.

Paired with HP-P1 and then SR71A - amp obviously better than the HP-P1 internal amp, but can only use the low gain setting at low volumes. Hisses at mid and high gains. But overall dynamics is much better than on the HP-P1 amp. Treble not as good as HP-P1 internal amp but mid is very smooth.

Quote:
Hey has anyone paired up their ES5s with a Fostex HP P1? 

Impressions please? :)

Nov 3, 2011 at 5:01 AM Post #3,545 of 5,554
Today I listened to the LCD2 and the Westone ES5 through the same combo - CLAS-DB2-SR71B, except I don't have a balanced cable for the ES5 so I have to use a single ended to balanced conversion cable. Used high gain for LCD2 and low gain for ES5. The Westone ES5 sounds so good on this combo that I think in some ways it is even better than the LCD-2. The only downside is I cannot share it with others like I can do with the LCD-2. There is of course a certain improvement on soundstage, but I always find IEMs and headphones have not much soundstage to begin with anyways, even with headphones like the HD800, when compared with speakers - and frankly the LCD-2 doesn't give much more soundstage than IEMs IMO. Let's hope my LCD-3 will improve a lot on details - still not much hope on its soundstage.

Nov 3, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #3,547 of 5,554

Quote:
Today I listened to the LCD2 and the Westone ES5 through the same combo - CLAS-DB2-SR71B, except I don't have a balanced cable for the ES5 so I have to use a single ended to balanced conversion cable. Used high gain for LCD2 and low gain for ES5. The Westone ES5 sounds so good on this combo that I think in some ways it is even better than the LCD-2. The only downside is I cannot share it with others like I can do with the LCD-2. There is of course a certain improvement on soundstage, but I always find IEMs and headphones have not much soundstage to begin with anyways, even with headphones like the HD800, when compared with speakers - and frankly the LCD-2 doesn't give much more soundstage than IEMs IMO. Let's hope my LCD-3 will improve a lot on details - still not much hope on its soundstage.

You're doing it wrong.  There is no advantage to using a 1/8" to SR71 conversion cable.  That is just adding more crap into the signal path, just use the mini jack on the front.  Your single ended conversion cable is already happening inside the SR71b with that mini jack that's made up of the balanced signals going out of it, except both ground channels are connected to a single ground for the mini jack since it's single ended.

Nov 3, 2011 at 5:27 AM Post #3,548 of 5,554
Using single ended output, I prefer my SR71A over the SR71B SE output. But enough said that even I use the conversion cable thingy, I still feel the ES5 sounds better than than the LCD2 in some regards. The LCD2 uses an ALO balanced cable straight to the SR71B, with no SE conversion. 

Nov 3, 2011 at 5:37 AM Post #3,549 of 5,554
Actually, looking inside my Phoenix, the 1/4" jack is not wired to the two negative stages of the amp, only the positive stages (like a 2 board B22).  So what the hell is happening when you take the equivalent of two 3 pin XLRs and merge them together so that the grounds are joined at a 1/8" plug...somewhere I read that you aren't supposed to do this, but I'm not sure.  It doesn't make sense, since the pull/negative stages of the amp are supposed to get a unique signal from left & right.  I suppose this turns them into a sort of active ground, like a 3 board B22, but with the equivalent of  2 boards instead of 1 ground board (since these are 4 channel balanced portable amps we're talking about) pulling in the same merged ground connected to both left & right.  Whatever sounds the best to you, but I'm not sure now on this one.

Nov 3, 2011 at 5:59 AM Post #3,550 of 5,554
I absolutely agree w/ the ES5/LCD2 comments is certain regards.  I believe Larry/HPA mentioned that a few times as well.  Definitely faster and more detailed, probably more coherent too depending on which LCD2 you have.  Sounds like you are finding the ES5 to scale quite decently as I did despite the 'friendly' specs.
____

I'm sure you question is more nuanced than I read but yes, from source to phone you can go source chassis > SE HO > XLR > phone but not XLR HO > SE which should be a big no no.  Balanced lines leading to SE inside the chassis w/ proper ground I believe is typical and safe.  Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.  Of course, there's interpretations of what true balanced is beyond a dual mono type setup.

Nov 3, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #3,551 of 5,554

You DO NOT want to convert the SR71B's balanced output to single-ended. You would effectively be shorting two of its outputs (L- and R-) together. First, there is absolutely no advantage to doing this. Second, it could potentially cause the L- and R- outputs to blow. And if I were Ray, I would not cover any such damage under warranty.

se

Nov 6, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #3,552 of 5,554

Quote:

The SR-71b cannot properly drive the LCC-2 in single ended mode, they need to be driven balanced with it, and then they're great but still not as good as the ES5.

Nov 6, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #3,553 of 5,554
I use balanced cable for the LCD2 but I don't have balanced cable for ES5, but I already feel ES5 is better in some ways in single ended mode. The SR71B is operating with fully balanced input and output for the LCD2.

Nov 8, 2011 at 8:57 AM Post #3,554 of 5,554
Hey guys, it was with a heavy heart that I sold my ES5 today.

Having been using them for a year, I am yearning for more transparency and clarity, with a tad wider soundstage.
Would be aiming for UM Miracle next.

But it was really a good experience owning ES5. Ideally I would have love to keep them, but I just couldn't justify keeping 2 sets of customs having also own an EX-1000 and an ESW9 recabled with TWag V2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back