Westone ES5
Oct 28, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #3,528 of 5,554
Now that all these bricks are opening up more and more, I think I have underestimated some of them - they really had less head time than they should, given the time they have since they come into my possession. This is another downside of having too many bricks - I really have to give them some serious headtime, decide which of them are best for my IEMs and LCD3, then let go of the rest. This will of course have to wait till the arrival of the LCD3...

Oct 29, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #3,529 of 5,554
Hello Guys,

I just received my ES5 last week.  Every time I listen to it for more than 2 hrs, the inner part of my right ear starts to hurt (after I take them off, the soreness becomes greater).  Is that normal?  Will it go away after some time?

Also, I can hear ambient sound like snapping or rubbing fingers with music off.

Helpful advices are appreciated!!

Oct 29, 2011 at 6:44 AM Post #3,530 of 5,554
The sound is normal. Just some signal noise due to the drivers senstivity. But seems like your right ear canal is probably too thick or too long. U probably need to shorten it. It's your call.

Quote:
Hello Guys,

I just received my ES5 last week.  Every time I listen to it for more than 2 hrs, the inner part of my right ear starts to hurt (after I take them off, the soreness becomes greater).  Is that normal?  Will it go away after some time?

Also, I can hear ambient sound like snapping or rubbing fingers with music off.

Helpful advices are appreciated!!

Oct 31, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #3,531 of 5,554
I'm not saying it's for sure the cause of the problems you're having, but contrary to what I've heard others say in this thread, there definitely is such a thing as "too tight" a fit. At least for me. I kept seeing people say "tighter is better, your ears will get used to it after a while." And that's what kept me from going back to my audiologist. But after months of not getting used to it and being on the verge of regretting getting ES5s in the first place, I went back. He didn't shave off much, but it was a night and day difference for me. So if you feel that's what it could be, give it a try.

Oct 31, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #3,533 of 5,554
Would it be stupid to use the ES5 for intense exercise -- like long distance running?
Can the unit stand up to that kind of abuse from sweat?

thanks - apologize if this isn't the right forum for this Q.

Nov 1, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #3,534 of 5,554

In my opinion, the ES5 is a good match with the Fostex. Sounds more refined and less forward - mid range more natural. The vocal image is also more focused. If you really like the ES5's forward sound signature and not anything less, don't use it with the HP-P1, but if you are one of those who feels that the ES5 is way too forward without much center focus, the HP-P1 is actually a good match. 

Quote:
Hey has anyone paired up their ES5s with a Fostex HP P1? 

Impressions please? :)

Nov 1, 2011 at 6:23 AM Post #3,535 of 5,554
Ah. 
Is this through the Hp P1's DAC and amp? Or just using the Hp P1 as a DAC with another amp?

And how does the HP P1's Amp compare with the Stepdance 2?

Quote:
In my opinion, the ES5 is a good match with the Fostex. Sounds more refined and less forward - mid range more natural. The vocal image is also more focused. If you really like the ES5's forward sound signature and not anything less, don't use it with the HP-P1, but if you are one of those who feels that the ES5 is way too forward without much center focus, the HP-P1 is actually a good match. 

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #3,536 of 5,554

Quote:
I'm not saying it's for sure the cause of the problems you're having, but contrary to what I've heard others say in this thread, there definitely is such a thing as "too tight" a fit. At least for me. I kept seeing people say "tighter is better, your ears will get used to it after a while." And that's what kept me from going back to my audiologist. But after months of not getting used to it and being on the verge of regretting getting ES5s in the first place, I went back. He didn't shave off much, but it was a night and day difference for me. So if you feel that's what it could be, give it a try.

Moseboy,

Before you do the trimming, did it hurt "after" wearing them?

Nov 1, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #3,537 of 5,554
Would it be stupid to use the ES5 for intense exercise -- like long distance running?
Can the unit stand up to that kind of abuse from sweat?

thanks - apologize if this isn't the right forum for this Q.

I've used mine on 10km runs, on stage, in the gym doing heavy strength lifting... Never babied them. They can withstand alot of punishment, and the cable seems virtually indestructible.

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #3,538 of 5,554

Quote:
Moseboy,

Before you do the trimming, did it hurt "after" wearing them?

It didn't really hurt, but after a while my ears would just feel fatigued. Worse than that, after wearing them for a while I would get this horrible suction feeling whenever I would turn my head or open my mouth with them in. I found it hard to really enjoy them.

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #3,539 of 5,554
even worse, try eating with customs in 
triportsad.gif

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #3,540 of 5,554

Quote:
even worse, try eating with customs in 
triportsad.gif

Hmm, I can do that w/ ES5s all day long no prob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back