Westone ES5
Jun 5, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #2,521 of 5,554

Dear,

Congrats you can pick them up soon. However, don't overthink the burning-in process, just use them when you want to listen to music. Besides that it took my right ear a week to get used to the right earpiece. So you need to use them anyway in order to fully get used to them both sound wise as fit wise.

Quote:
Hey Guys!

I think I can pickup my ES5s on Tuesday! Pretty excited about it :)

Just wanted to ask about burning in.
How do you guys usually burn in your earphones? 
Should I completely not use them until they are burned in after X hours?
Should I listen to them for 1 hour ish then let them burn in for a few days and such?

Also for burn in... what type of songs should I play and at what volume should the output be?
Since I still have school, I think the most economical way for me to burn them in is to leave them at home with my iPod Nano 4gb and playing music during my school hours, whilst using my iPodClassic->Algorhythm Solo->ALO RX Mk2 -> Um3x at school.
Is that the correct way to do it? Having earphones playing music non stop for extremely extended periods of time?

Thanks

Arrigo

Jun 6, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #2,522 of 5,554
Arrogo, you should just enjoy it when it arrives, and you can leave them burn in when you don't listen. Remember to use low  volume though. As the ES5 is more sensitive most other IEMs, so it would be wise not to pump it with burn in tracks straight out of the box. If you really want to, start with very low volume.

Jun 6, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #2,524 of 5,554

Quote:
Thanks for the advice guys.

Does Westone ship back your ear impressions with your customs?

Thanks.

No they keep them on file.

Jun 6, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #2,526 of 5,554
Hey guys, I just spent an hour or two in the apple shop just to try around stuff. I tried couple of their newest generation mp3 player. I was interested in buying iPod Touch to replace my stolen iPhone 4 because I have a lot of useful apps.
So I browse around some music, put some alac into it, use the LOD to my protector and listening it with balance ES5. I did the same thing with the newest iPod Nano..

And guess what? iPod Nano LOD sounds better than iPod Touch! I was like, What... is this real? I tried with couple songs and still I get the same result. iPod Touch has veiled treble compared to the Nano and sometimes too much bass for my taste. So there goes my iPod Touch craving, and hello iPod Nano.

The headphone out of both device are comparable though, not that much different. I was using the original westone cable to listen from the headphone out.. I'm not sure now if the TWag will help further in differentiating both headphone out.

EDIT: Sorry a bit out of topic.. but still I was using ES5 for the listening test :wink:.

Jun 6, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #2,528 of 5,554
Yep, I re-sync it with my macbook so its factory default.

EDIT:

One thing that might explain the difference is the LOD.
I was using the whiplash LOD with a cap for my whipmod. I don't know how many uF are the output caps of the nano and touch. Assuming they are different, it might explain the different behavior when connected in series with the caps in the LOD. Unfortunately I don't have a normal LOD to test this..

Jun 6, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #2,529 of 5,554
As long as you couple them with an amp there shouldn't be a difference in signature, or frequency response, between the Nano and the Touch as they're both flat. In fact, I think it's likely these two devices share the same DAC as they measure very similar according to the sources I've seen. You should feel free to pick out whichever player in your mind has the better form factor and feature set. The iPhone 4 performs even better, but differences are most likely inaudible.

Bottom line: the latest generation of iDevices are very capable with one flaw - output impedance. With an amp of <1 Ohm outputZ and a flat frequency response you're gonna get reference sound with the ES5.

Jun 6, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #2,530 of 5,554
That what I was thinking as well. I know both of them has the same DAC. So my only guess is the output caps in series of the LOD caps, can't think of anything else.

@Mopshnod: LOD + amp does make a different compared to the headphone out of the iPod (because of its output impedance). So getting a "good amp" is not a waste, its a good step.

Quote:
As long as you couple them with an amp there shouldn't be a difference in signature, or frequency response, between the Nano and the Touch as they're both flat. In fact, I think it's likely these two devices share the same DAC as they measure very similar according to the sources I've seen. You should feel free to pick out whichever player in your mind has the better form factor and feature set. The iPhone 4 performs even better, but differences are most likely inaudible.

Bottom line: the latest generation of iDevices are very capable with one flaw - output impedance. With an amp of <1 Ohm outputZ and a flat frequency response you're gonna get reference sound with the ES5.

Jun 7, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #2,531 of 5,554
I second that. BA IEMs have non-linear impedance curves, and a high output impedance will impose that impedance curve's effect on the frequency response of the IEM. Supposedly the latest generation of iPods have had their outputZ reduced to 2 Ohm, but it's not unlikely that the effect is still audible.

I'm curious about the next generation that's said to feature 24bit TotL Wolfson DACs.

@Mopshnod: LOD + amp does make a different compared to the headphone out of the iPod (because of its output impedance). So getting a "good amp" is not a waste, its a good step.

Jun 7, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #2,532 of 5,554

[size=medium]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopshond /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Dear Anaxilus,

I saw that you both own the ES5 and the HD800. I was wondering whether you briefly could point out the differences and whether there's a very big difference SQ wise between the ES5 and the HD800?

Gr.

With most amps I think the HD800 sound more like the ES3X, and the ES5 sound better and more fuller and balanced like the HE-6 or HE-500 headphones.  But, with my ZDT amp the HD800 have wonderful synergy and sound a bit fuller and warmer, and likewise with the Pico Slim the ES3X sound fuller and warmer - making both better performers when matched with the right source and amp.  I can't imagine anyone who likes the HD800 not also liking the ES5, yet most other headphone lovers will enjoy the ES5 too.
[/size]

Jun 9, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #2,533 of 5,554

I went back to my Audiologist.  He wanted to make sure that I wasn't have anymore problems.  Really nice guy.  He tested my ES5's to see if they were balanced and the test came out cleaned.  He offered to buffed out the tips, but since I wasn't having any fitting issues, why risk it.  He cleaned them out in the vacuum machine to make sure there is no wax or whatever and do sound better.

He recommended that I get this box that will sanitizes and dries my IEM's overnight.

Dry & Store:

http://www.dryandstore.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back