Westone ES5
May 28, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #2,372 of 5,554

Quote:
So suppose I currently own a 5.5G Classic. I Shouldn't buy the AlgoRhythm Solo unless I purchase a 7g Classic?

Hmm that is not what I meant.

5.5g has a 'better' DAC in it which is useful for line-out or imod/whipmod.

However, the 7g classic has got prettier user interface and more supports, including genius playlist.

So if you are using CLAS, the internal DAC won't matter so getting a newer 7g classic might be a more sensible choice if you don't own any ipod.

It will be perfectly fine to get CLAS with 5.5g ipod as well. No harm.

May 28, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #2,373 of 5,554
Oh I see!
Thanks

Now if only my ES5s arrived...
Tried a Demo of JH16 in Jaben yesterday..
Didn't really like it :p

Quote:

However, the 7g classic has got prettier user interface and more supports, including genius playlist.

So if you are using CLAS, the internal DAC won't matter so getting a newer 7g classic might be a more sensible choice if you don't own any ipod.

May 28, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #2,374 of 5,554
The 5.5G doesn't really get along with the CLAS. Take a look at http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/497384/cypher-labs-algorhythm-solo/690#post_7500434

Quote:

May 28, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #2,375 of 5,554

Quote:
The 5.5G doesn't really get along with the CLAS. Take a look at http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/497384/cypher-labs-algorhythm-solo/690#post_7500434

Thanks for pointing that out and sorry for my ignorance. Just saw this:

'Newer devices coming on the market from Apple should also work, such as the newest Nano. Older devices, such as first generation iTouch or older video iPod devices may yield unexpected results.'

May 28, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #2,376 of 5,554
CLAS + 5.5G are not compatible. I 'm not sure discussion of the iPod Video 5.5G is fruitful. That product was discontinued more than 3 years ago. If you can get one in excellent condition (which is not easy - chances are that it will be filled with OEM parts), upgrade the hard drive to 120GB, put in a fresh battery, and have it modded into an iMod/whipmod/DIYmod then yes, the effort would be worth it. With a good amp, that sounds great with the ES5. That also costs a lot of money.

And the CLAS with a Classic 7G still sounds better.

May 28, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #2,377 of 5,554

Quote:

You're about the 3rd or 4th person I've seen say that.  There was even a not so flattering remark posted about the JH16+3A in that thread.

May 29, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #2,378 of 5,554
Well if you would do it like that maybe a black/colored faceplate with that will do. Anyway, it's your artwork. It's just me suggesting.

Quote:
Quote:
@pcmike,that artwork color is no good.you might as well change it to a more brighter or darker tone.thats just my input.imo the artwork will be drowned by the color of the shell.

White will be drowned out by the color of the shell? The grey area is actually clear, as in will just be the shell. The only thing in the image that will be printed is the white. I guess I don't understand how white is going to be drowned out on any color shell?

May 29, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #2,379 of 5,554
I'm not trying to be contentious or a jerk, I just don't really understand what you mean by "drowned out?" I would think saying something like that would imply that the printed color is too close to the shell color and therefore the image is just kind of "lost" .. but if the printed color is white, I don't really understand how it could get "lost" against anything but a really light grey color. What am I missing?

May 29, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #2,380 of 5,554
Well I don't want to really bash on your artwork either...if your fine with what you have then it's okay.

I suggest to see some samples of artwork pages like JH Audios facebook, since Westone had a few artwork display on some sites. But they said that Westone artwork prints are better than the JH ones.

May 29, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #2,381 of 5,554

Dear,

I own the ES5 because I was very satisfied with the sound signature of the UM3x and buying the ES5 was more convenient since I live in Europe. However, I am still quite curious whether the JH16 would have been a better choice or not. That's why I would like to ask you why you didn't like them?
Quote:
Oh I see!
Thanks

Now if only my ES5s arrived...

May 29, 2011 at 3:15 AM Post #2,382 of 5,554
The demo of JH16 here in Jaben is not very satisfying either, though when I got my JH16 custom, the SQ is different. Though I sold them because of my future purchase of ES5, which I very much prefer to hear lately.

May 29, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #2,383 of 5,554
It's been a few weeks since last I heard the JH16, but from what I can recall, it and the ES5 are just about equally capable sonically, but cater to different tastes. The ES5 is very balanced with perhaps a slight bass and midrange emphasis that pushes all my buttons with its realistic and lifelike presentation. The JH16 has a huge bass slam and a peaky treble that leaves the midrange in the backwaters somewhat. Subtle nuances are more difficult to discern. It provides instant gratification but becomes fatiguing over time. The 8 drivers create an image that is wider and less coherent than the ES5. I also feel that the bass, while plentiful, is less controlled and lacks the pinpoint accuracy of the single bass driver inside the ES5. To my ears, IMHO and ofcourse YMMV.

May 29, 2011 at 4:53 AM Post #2,384 of 5,554
I've heard the JH16 demo, JH13 demo, and own the JH16 customs. I can say one thing is for sure: the JH16 demo and JH16 customs are definitely different sonically. The treble peaks, slightly recessed midrange, and untamed bass on the demo units all seem to be ironed out in the customs.

May 29, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #2,385 of 5,554
My comparison was valid when I'd only heard the ES5 and JH13/16 demos, and as the ES5 full custom is a step up from the demo, I'd assume it's valid between both full customs aswell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back