Westone ES5
May 27, 2011 at 4:34 AM Post #2,341 of 5,554
You can see mine several page back. The right one is candy red and the left one is candy blue. Quite transparent.
It is made by Variphone though not Westone USA.

Quote:
I just pulled the trigger on these.  My appointment is tomorrow! ^^  I thinking of what artwork to do now and debating what colors.

People seem to like the smoked color.  I like the clear looking ones like ice blue.  Does anyone know if the Candy Red and Candy Blue are transparent enough to see the drivers?

May 27, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #2,342 of 5,554

Try sending an email to Westone customer service direct, copying Thinking Group email. That can speed things up considerably.

Quote:
Hey there.

Terrible news I guess.
After getting impatient with waiting in the dark I decided to call ThinkingGroup HK to inquire about my order, since their order form states 2-3 Weeks for the turnover date and its already been 26 days since I first ordered them.
I'm quite disappointed with ThinkingGroup's customer service. All they said was "Oh your ES5s should be in the process of being produced in Westone right now" With no clear indication of when I can expect for them to arrive in Hong Kong. 

:frowning2:
Guess the wait is even longer now :frowning2:

P.S. Does anyone know where I can sell off my old IEMs in HK? Thanks.

May 27, 2011 at 5:41 AM Post #2,344 of 5,554
They couriered it back to Thinking Group direct so I couldn't have known the time required for the dispatch. But I believe they used courier in my case.

Quote:
Will do...
Btw do you know around how long it takes for Westone to send my IEMS to HK?

Thanks.

May 27, 2011 at 5:51 AM Post #2,345 of 5,554
Quote:
On the moment I own a iPod Classic 160gb and the Westone ES5, does anyone know whether the Pico Slim would be a good match? Or does someone has a better recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

I'm not personally a huge fan of amping directly from iPod line outs with IEMs. Yes, there is an improvement but it is not huge IMHO. (iMod is a different story; with a good amp, this is very nice.) Definitely YMMV since lots of people do amp iPod line outs.

Anaxilus is right though: the Solo is a game changer. Solo + Pico Slim + ES5 is a beautiful combination. (I just posted pics of my rig in the Solo thread.) Also the Solo is a loud source so the Pico Slim's perfect channel balance at low volumes is very welcome.

May 27, 2011 at 6:42 AM Post #2,346 of 5,554
Got an email from my Audiologist (had my impressions done in Washington DC on May 10) that Westone is shipping out my ES5 today to Shanghai... hopefully I'll be getting it soon next week. I am thinking of replacing the stock cable with either:

1. ALO  24awg (my first choice)

2. ALO 22awg OCC

OR

3. Whiplash Elite

Suggestion and recommendation are welcome and appreciated!

May 27, 2011 at 7:00 AM Post #2,347 of 5,554
Hello again,
Well, to be fair to variphone I DID have to sign an order form when I was at their facility and the vat might have been mentioned on it but as you might know I am blind and did not inquire about it because i thought the price was all in. So if you buy directly at variphone you might know it before you order.
Greetings, Anouk,

May 27, 2011 at 7:34 AM Post #2,348 of 5,554
It's good to know for sure, Anouk. I'm sorry for you who had to take that hit, but now atleast we'll know to warn future customers.

Personally I think that talk after market of cables should stay in their respective forums.

May 27, 2011 at 7:39 AM Post #2,349 of 5,554
Quote:

Personally I think that talk after market of cables should stay in their respective forums.

I see your point but I don't entirely agree. Recabling the ES5 is a legitimate issue for discussion amongst ES5 owners. We shouldn't go too far off track but I am actually quite curious as to what people use and what they think of the results.

May 27, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #2,350 of 5,554
Little help, please.. being as these are my first custom's I just want to make sure I understand which part of this mockup corresponds to which part of the ear when the monitor is inserted. Below is a mockup from Westone, can someone please confirm that the top of this mockup is actually the top of the ear and the bottom is actually the bottom of the ear when the monitor is inserted? This mockup isn't the final, as I'm pretty sure I want the face centered in the middle of the shell and not going off any one side.

May 27, 2011 at 8:27 AM Post #2,353 of 5,554
I have a TWag V2 cable with my ES5. According to some people it has thinner bass than a copper cable. I personally think that it is not thin and still very precise. It helps in the treble region compared to the original cable.
It might have something to do with my amp, RSA is famous for its bass so it might compensate the lack/thin bass of the TWag.
Quote:
Got an email from my Audiologist (had my impressions done in Washington DC on May 10) that Westone is shipping out my ES5 today to Shanghai... hopefully I'll be getting it soon next week. I am thinking of replacing the stock cable with either:

1. ALO  24awg (my first choice)

2. ALO 22awg OCC

OR

3. Whiplash Elite

Suggestion and recommendation are welcome and appreciated!

May 27, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #2,355 of 5,554

Quote:
I just pulled the trigger on these.  My appointment is tomorrow! ^^  I thinking of what artwork to do now and debating what colors.

People seem to like the smoked color.  I like the clear looking ones like ice blue.  Does anyone know if the Candy Red and Candy Blue are transparent enough to see the drivers?

These are candy blue and pretty transparent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back