Westone ES5
May 24, 2011 at 5:51 AM Post #2,281 of 5,554
I just bought the Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc, and strangely the ES5 sounds better on it, but overall I always thought the iPhone 4 is a better source. In any case, none of them beats my iphone4->SOLO->Stepdance/SR71A setup and the ES5 sounds amazing on it. That probably says a lot given what my home rig has become.

May 24, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #2,283 of 5,554

Quote:
For such a wonderful sounding IEM, there's only 1 review on Head-Fi for it?
frown.gif

My impressions are on page 152, I don't feel qualified to write an actual review yet.  I might post my impressions as a review.  I'm just wary that someone will drop a grand by what I say & it ends up I can't describe sound for squat.  Heck, maybe I can't, I'm a former artilleryman and 150 decibels unprotected left me with 4 different tones in my ears at all times.

May 24, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #2,285 of 5,554
Which plays a major role in allowing the music to easily be visualized by the listener? Detail or timbre? Or the both of them being really good? Because the ES5's literally paint the music in my head for me to see it. It's scary sometimes.

May 24, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #2,286 of 5,554
More than anything else I've heard the ES5 lets you hear what the recording artists intended for you to hear. Some of my albums have really come to life, while others I barely enjoy anymore - the quality of the recording makes a huge difference. I find that it doesn't impose its will on a recording, a bass heavy recording will be bass heavy but one that's not... well, you get the picture. If there's any coloration there, and I think there is but it's subtle, it breathes life into the music. Or to put it in another way, it lifts that artificial layer that lets you know that you're listening to a recording and not the band playing in your living room.

New impressions taken. Slightly bigger biteblock, but I think the major difference-maker was using a different compound, one that expanded as it settled. The moulds themselves were extremely tight, much more so than I remember the first one being, and I'm really hoping this will show in the final result.

May 24, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #2,287 of 5,554
I'm listening to Barenaked Ladies' "Rock Spectacle" live album right now... I'm in sonic heaven & I don't have a DAC, amp or anything besides the ES5 hooked up to my Macbook... I can't wait for my DACport!!!!

May 24, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #2,288 of 5,554

Quote:
I'm listening to Barenaked Ladies' "Rock Spectacle" live album right now... I'm in sonic heaven & I don't have a DAC, amp or anything besides the ES5 hooked up to my Macbook... I can't wait for my DACport!!!!

Did you ask CEntrance to modify the output impedance to <1ohm?  If they haven't shipped it yet I would talk to someone about it.  They quoted me $99 to modify mine which is a bit pricey IMO so I'm weighing my options like getting another DAC/Amp and putting them up against each other.

@Anouk

Did they charge you for modding your DACMini to <1 ohm?

May 24, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #2,289 of 5,554
I am extremely happy that my fit was right the first time around and am still extremely happy that I went with variphone even though my decision itself for getting customs might have not been the right one at this time. I eel actually lucky that westone has a plant in Europe for making the iems, other popular makers dont have this. Greetings, Anouk,

May 25, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #2,290 of 5,554

Quote:
I am extremely happy that my fit was right the first time around and am still extremely happy that I went with variphone even though my decision itself for getting customs might have not been the right one at this time. I eel actually lucky that westone has a plant in Europe for making the iems, other popular makers dont have this. Greetings, Anouk,

I hope I can experience the same happiness soon!

May 25, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #2,291 of 5,554

Quote:
hey anaxilus are those impression coming from using ES5 with your DACport?

Sometimes w/ the DACPort alone others w/ the DACPort preamped to my Arrow 2.2G.  

For the last week or so it's been DACPort preamped to Arrow 4G sample board.  Much better now that I'm close to zero output impedance.    

May 25, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #2,292 of 5,554

I am still testing mine ES5 as well, however I still find the right earpiece too tight and I am hoping so much that within a couple of days I don't feel anything anymore when I am wearing them. Right now my right ear is getting tired and warm when I am wearing them, which cannot be a good sign.
Quote:
I hope I can experience the same happiness soon!

May 25, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #2,293 of 5,554

Quote:
I am still testing mine ES5 as well, however I still find the right earpiece too tight and I am hoping so much that within a couple of days I don't feel anything anymore when I am wearing them. Right now my right ear is getting tired and warm when I am wearing them, which cannot be a good sign.

You don't have to torture yourself by forcing the issue.  Give it some time on and off, for your ears and the phones.  

May 25, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #2,294 of 5,554

Quote:

Haha, at the very least your ES5s have arrived :p
I've been waiting for nearly a month now :frowning2:

May 25, 2011 at 4:08 AM Post #2,295 of 5,554
Great Anouk! Variphone is a great company. They for sure know what they do. No worries about fitting once you got handled by variphone audiologist, will always work 100%.

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back