Westone ES5
Apr 20, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #1,786 of 5,554

Quote:
Quote:
>
Anyway there is an interesting argument as to whether UM remolding belongs in any audiophile thread. There really is no argument as to whether it belongs in this ES5 thread. :wink:

confused_face_2.gif

Hahah to paraphrase, there is no doubt that things concerning UM reshelling should not be discussed on ES5 thread.

Apr 20, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #1,788 of 5,554

Quote:
Okey, so ES5 is also on the warm side. Is there any customs that are very airy, detailed and high oriented? I am searching for custom phones which would do great ambient. As it seems most of them are either smooth and silky or energetic and bassy
smily_headphones1.gif

I would not call the ES5 warm.  It is a hair WARMER than say the DBA-02 or IERM but it is not at all WARM in general.  If you've heard the W4 the ES5 is brighter to my ears. 

Apr 20, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #1,789 of 5,554

Quote:
Exactly! I am searching for customs that has same signature as CK10. Or perhaps I could reshell them
smily_headphones1.gif

Check out the UM Miracle.  Joker has them and loves them.  His favorite universal was the CK10.  The CK10 was too bright and harsh and a bit lean for me personally.

IERM is warmer than CK10 and about on par w/ DBA, perhaps a micron warmer.  To my ears.

Apr 22, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #1,792 of 5,554
Well its safe to say that patience is indeed a virtue 
smily_headphones1.gif

I originally forayed into the custom IEM market via the ES5s about 2 months ago and my initial impressions were underwhelming at best; they sounded tame, unexciting, and I was finding myself listening to my $75 Monster Turbines instead. I was also having fit issues (also the likely cause of the sound not being optimal) due to my initial ear impressions being CLOSED-mouth and couldn't wear them for more than 30 minutes or so without needing to take them out. I was actually upset thinking I just wasted A LOT of hard earned money on subpar headphones.

Lo and behold, I had my audiologist due the OPEN-mouth impressions and they sent them in for refitting. I just got them back today after the long wait, and all I can say is "Mother of God". I'm in audio heaven. It may just be that these are my first customs, but these sound awesome and I find myself hearing my music in a whole new light now. Even songs that I've listened to 100s of times Im picking up new details that were inaudible through my other cans/IEMs. What I was really looking for in my first custom was a sound that could closely emulate that big, spacious sound of full-size cans and I will say that these easily do that.  I've heard these also open-up quite a bit after burn-in and I've only listened to them for a little over an hour so I can't wait to see what these are really capable of. And I dont really have a great source/amp yet either, so the best is yet to come 
biggrin.gif
. Nevertheless, Im all smiles now and I think the ES5 will bring me many moons of audio bliss...

Apr 23, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #1,793 of 5,554
Apr 23, 2011 at 4:32 AM Post #1,794 of 5,554
BAH the waiting is killing me!!! especially with a lot of free festive days coming up here in the Netherlands (good friday, easter, queens day coming friday 4-5 may). I am not known for my patience. On the other hand now I can really look into hwat dac I want to use with these at home and the fiio x3 will be closer around the corner. Greetings, Anouk,

Apr 23, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #1,795 of 5,554
Was listening to the sound of breaking glass and I realized that I don't hear the crisp shattering sound of the glass. Sounded a little like breaking plastic to me instead. High pitch female vocals are kind of tamed too. I am not using any amp but listening direct from my Mac through Twag cable.

Are you guys able to hear these sound well through your ES5?

Apr 23, 2011 at 8:22 AM Post #1,797 of 5,554
hmm even the stock cable will need that much burn in?

I have been burning in my ES5 since the moment I got it, with 1 hour rest time every 3 hours. I am not hearing any changes in the last 2 days and I am afraid that ES5 is reaching its true potential already.

Apr 23, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #1,798 of 5,554
Quote:
Was listening to the sound of breaking glass and I realized that I don't hear the crisp shattering sound of the glass. Sounded a little like breaking plastic to me instead. High pitch female vocals are kind of tamed too. I am not using any amp but listening direct from my Mac through Twag cable.

Are you guys able to hear these sound well through your ES5?

You do have reason to be concerned. That doesn't sound right.

I suppose it might be a synergy problem with the Mac out (which I have never heard). Just a wild guess. I can say quite honestly that my ES5 with the Solo + Pico Slim is producing sparkling treble. Percussion (high hats, cymbals etc.) are super crisp and realsitic. Admittedly Mac vs. Solo + Pico Slim may not be a fair comparison.

Another possibility is that some people just do not like the sound from certain equipment. For example, I did not like the iBasso T3D sound signature, and I pretty much hated the Shadow, yet both these amps have their fans. Maybe the ES5 is not for you. Keep at it though.

I agree with you that it shouldn't take 300 hours to burn in the stock cable. Actually I don't think that it requires burn in at all. I can't comment on the Twag.

Apr 23, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #1,799 of 5,554

Quote:
You do have reason to be concerned. That doesn't sound right.

I suppose it might be a synergy problem with the Mac out (which I have never heard). Just a wild guess. I can say quite honestly that my ES5 with the Solo + Pico Slim is producing sparkling treble. Percussion (high hats, cymbals etc.) are super crisp and realsitic. Admittedly Mac vs. Solo + Pico Slim may not be a fair comparison.

Another possibility is that some people just do not like the sound from certain equipment. For example, I did not like the iBasso T3D sound signature, and I pretty much hated the Shadow, yet both these amps have their fans. Maybe the ES5 is not for you. Keep at it though.

I agree with you that it shouldn't take 300 hours to burn in the stock cable. Actually I don't think that it requires burn in at all. I can't comment on the Twag.

Hmm I do like the ES5, don't get me wrong. It is just the treble area I hope that it would perform better.

I was seduced by the mids when I just got the ES5 and tested it out with my iQube and Stepdance before I sold the both of them away.

ES5 is something that I can keep for a very long time because they just perform well across all genres and have got excellent tonal balance which is very important for audio mixing.

Maybe I should use some high frequency sound file to break in my ES5? No idea.

But if enough people here have sparkling highs on their ES5 and I don't, something could have been wrong with my unit because even TF10 is better  -__-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back