Westone ES5
Apr 15, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #1,696 of 5,554
Yeah I'm one of those guys who thinks a recording sounds the same regardless of source, so long as distortion isn't added or frequency response manipulated - the latter being the case here. I would rather put HM-801 money towards the acquisition of another pair of headphones.

That said I respect your opinions all the same.

Apr 15, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #1,697 of 5,554
Hi, Well I have dicided NOT to go ahead with purchasing an hm801. Not because I think it wont sound good but because I owuld like to use it as dac too and this would not be ideal. And, since I have my iphone for when i want to listen really portable and at other times I am near a computer (I use my computer every waking moment except when I am walking around or travelling by bus) I think a dac with headphone output (i dont really want to use a separate amp) is the way to go. Thanks for the warnings dj nellie I took them to heart after all, only a bit late. I was also not sure if I could get used to the user interface, with a computer+dac this is of course not a problem. I am still following the new offerings from fiio and little dot though. Greetings, Anouk,

Apr 15, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #1,698 of 5,554
Quote:
Yeah I'm one of those guys who thinks a recording sounds the same regardless of source, so long as distortion isn't added or frequency response manipulated - the latter being the case here. I would rather put HM-801 money towards the acquisition of another pair of headphones.

The respect is mutual.  I totally understand the logic in getting neutral, reasonably-priced equipment and spending the savings on transducers.  IME, I've found that every component in the chain adds its own color, though, no matter how "neutral" it is claimed to be. 

Quote:
Hi, Well I have dicided NOT to go ahead with purchasing an hm801. Not because I think it wont sound good but because I owuld like to use it as dac too and this would not be ideal.

Hi Anouk, if you do most of your listening on your computer then I think you made the right choice.  IMO, there are better desktop DACs that are around the same price or cheaper.  I'm not sure how many will offer an all-in-one solution though.  I would look into the Nuforce HDP, which gets very good reviews as a DAC and as an amp (and combined DAC+amp).  I am enjoying my Lavry DA-10, which you can find used for under $1000 and has a built-in headphone amp that is pretty good.  The CEntrance DACmini is also an intriguing-looking DAC+amp, at $800.  Happy hunting...

Apr 15, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #1,700 of 5,554
Hey guys just wondering, how do you all carry your ES5? The carrying case that comes with the ES5 is quite huge and I wonder if there are better ways to carry ES5 around for portability's sake =)

Apr 16, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #1,702 of 5,554
Quote:

I both respect you and also note that your opinion is objectively wrong. DACs are not all the same. Digital to analogue conversion is part science, part art. The source is the music - it is what you amplify and hear through your headphones. All the downstream equipment in the world won't turn an apple into an orange.

Quote:
I wouldn't consider buying the HM 801 the right choice. You can achieve comparable sound by use of a Sansa Clip+ EQd to roll off highs, and it would save you hundreds of dollars.

I have no specific opinion on the HM801 which I have not heard. However I would hope that you would qualify such future DAC advice with the above boldface statement so that people are fairly warned as to your background premise.

@uelover, I own a lot of them - Ottercase 100, Pelican 1010, Westone soft case (Edit: i guess i should call this the Westone hard rectangular cloth case), UE metal case etc. I'm kind of an ES5 case collector. (It's a cheap hobby.) My favourite is the Westone Monitor Saver.

@Parrots, wow. Even if I wanted to do that, no way are the connectors on my ES5 reliable enough.

Apr 16, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #1,703 of 5,554

Quote:
Hey guys just wondering, how do you all carry your ES5? The carrying case that comes with the ES5 is quite huge and I wonder if there are better ways to carry ES5 around for portability's sake =)

I tried using a soft case in my cargo pants pocket and the IEm were getting squished and it was bending the pins of the cable where they go into the IEM, so I switched back to the small Westone hard case.

Quote:
I always have my customs just hanging around my neck when not in use and only put them in cases when I get home, it's just a hassle taking it all off and putting it all in a case if you will be using it again little later.

That's a good way to loose the earpiece if it comes loose from the cable.

Apr 16, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #1,704 of 5,554
^Alot of cheap DAPs on the market today feature DACs that are good enough (measured) that the use of an external one becomes redundant. I think the effect that a DAC has on source material is exaggerated. If differences indeed are present it is my opinion that they are most likely too subtle to make out in an environment where a portable solution is likely to be used.

Apr 16, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #1,707 of 5,554

Hi, I'm new and just ordered some ES5 IEM for live monitoring-guitar and vocals. I'm reading all this info on DACport etc. 

1. Is this useful in a live setting? 

My current setup is using the Rolls PM350 Personal Monitor Headphone Amp. www.rolls.com/pdf/M_PM350.pdf
Are these ports something to look in for live monitoring, or will they only make a noticeable difference when listening to professional recordings?

Also, my headphones are still on their way, and the audiologist had only done a few of them before. I told him I wanted deep ear canals to reduce the occlusion effect -muffle sound in vocal quality. I have heard that making the molds past the 2nd bend in the ear canal drastically reduces the occlusion effect. 

2. My question is, does it help to go far past the 2nd bend, or is just going past the 2nd bend the important part. 

3. Does westone typically cut off a substantial portion of the end of the impression area to make the opening neat or just a little? 

4. Lastly, what should I expect? 

My only experience is with Shure SE425 IEM, and I got a really good seal with the large foam sleeves. But the occlusion effect was out of control. Otherwise I really enjoyed them for live monitoring. Then I tried the triple flange silicon sleeves (about 2 cm long), and inserted them as deeply as possible, and the occlusion effect was barely there, but they were uncomfortable, especially in my right ear, so I decided what the hell, lets go big or go home. 

5. Should I expect the same quality of seal that I got with the triple flange? 

6. Should long ear canal customs go as deep as the triple flange sleeves?

Thanks ahead for answers to any of my questions!

Apr 16, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #1,708 of 5,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi, I'm new and just ordered some ES5 IEM for live monitoring-guitar and vocals. I'm reading all this info on DACport etc.

3. Does westone typically cut off a substantial portion of the end of the impression area to make the opening neat or just a little?

Thanks ahead for answers to any of my questions!

Welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry about your walet - but if you ordered the ES5 you already know that. 
smile.gif

I will answer the one question that I can. If you get deep impressions done properly and the cotton dam stays in place, you will be amazed at how closely the final IEMs may reflect the original impressions. My ears produced different sized end holes where the cotton dam emerged. I thought that they might alter this when they did the ES5 but they didn't. They trusted the impressions and it worked out very well. (They didn't cut much off at all - if anything.)

Good impressions are important.

Apr 16, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #1,709 of 5,554

Hi tman,

DACport won't be needed for live monitoring. Depending on your laptop performance you might get a delay from processing. Anyway you don't want to pay attention that much to quality when you are playing live. Are you admiring your own voice? hehe. I don't. I just want to sing and play correctly with good balance between my fellow musicians.

You can always use the DACport with ES5 later when you are doing critical listening/editing of your recording.
Quote:

1. Is this useful in a live setting? 

My current setup is using the Rolls PM350 Personal Monitor Headphone Amp. www.rolls.com/pdf/M_PM350.pdf
Are these ports something to look in for live monitoring, or will they only make a noticeable difference when listening to professional recordings?

Also, my headphones are still on their way, and the audiologist had only done a few of them before. I told him I wanted deep ear canals to reduce the occlusion effect -muffle sound in vocal quality. I have heard that making the molds past the 2nd bend in the ear canal drastically reduces the occlusion effect. 

2. My question is, does it help to go far past the 2nd bend, or is just going past the 2nd bend the important part. 

4. Lastly, what should I expect? 

My only experience is with Shure SE425 IEM, and I got a really good seal with the large foam sleeves. But the occlusion effect was out of control. Otherwise I really enjoyed them for live monitoring. Then I tried the triple flange silicon sleeves (about 2 cm long), and inserted them as deeply as possible, and the occlusion effect was barely there, but they were uncomfortable, especially in my right ear, so I decided what the hell, lets go big or go home. 

5. Should I expect the same quality of seal that I got with the triple flange? 

6. Should long ear canal customs go as deep as the triple flange sleeves?

Thanks ahead for answers to any of my questions!

Apr 16, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #1,710 of 5,554
I think the impressions were nice. I was a little concerned after he told me to talk a little after 3 or so minutes, he said the inside sets very quickly, Also, he said the cotton balls were approx 5 mm from the ear drum, plus whatever the cotton takes up, so probably 7 or 8 mm from the ear drum i would think. to my naked eye, they didn't look longer, if as long, as the triple flange sleeves, that's why im asking if the 2nd bend is the real important thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back