Westone ES5
Mar 25, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #1,381 of 5,554
Hey guys, just a question - did you guys did the first ear impression with open or closed jaws?

The first I did was with open jaws and the custom was too big and it can't go right into my ears.

I did a second ear impression with closed jaws and had then sent to westone. Hope that they won't become too thin this time round.

My audiologist was actually against open jaw ear impression.

I have briefly heard my ES5 right out from the box for 2 minutes before I returned them back. Sounded pretty neutral. Nothing jumped out to me telling me that this is an awesome pair of custom. But also, nothing jumped out to me saying that this custom had done something wrong. That was a biased 2 minutes of impression right out of the box. I hope that they will change much after burn-in and awe me after that.

But first, another one month of wait....

Mar 25, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #1,382 of 5,554

Quote:
Hey guys, just a question - did you guys did the first ear impression with open or closed jaws?

The first I did was with open jaws and the custom was too big and it can't go right into my ears.

I did a second ear impression with closed jaws and had then sent to westone. Hope that they won't become too thin this time round.

I have briefly heard my ES5 right out from the box for 2 minutes before I returned them back. Sounded pretty neutral. Nothing jumped out to me telling me that this is an awesome pair of custom. But also, nothing jumped out to me saying that this custom had done something wrong. That was a biased 2 minutes of impression right out of the box. I hope that they will change much after burn-in and awe me after that.

But first, another one month of wait....

Mine was open, perfect fit.  Out of the box sound was bleh.  then it went all over the place as it burned in.  Fit seemed large too and I wondered if it was too big.  Lube helped them slide in and I had to crank on the ear guides to rotate them in all the way so they would lock.  Then I looked like an idiot trying to figure out how I'd get them out w/o using the ear guides.  I was just being a noob to the whole custom fit thing.  Now, I'm pro.  
tongue.gif
  Did you try the lube?

Mar 25, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #1,383 of 5,554
Quote:
BTW, I also had 'channel imbalance' issues with my first set of ES3Xs two years ago.

what was the cause of this & what was the solution to this problem?

Mar 25, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #1,384 of 5,554

Quote:
Mine was open, perfect fit.  Out of the box sound was bleh.  then it went all over the place as it burned in.  Fit seemed large too and I wondered if it was too big.  Lube helped them slide in and I had to crank on the ear guides to rotate them in all the way so they would lock.  Then I looked like an idiot trying to figure out how I'd get them out w/o using the ear guides.  I was just being a noob to the whole custom fit thing.  Now, I'm pro.  
tongue.gif
  Did you try the lube?

Haha I kept forcing it in until it hurts and had difficulty pulling it out. My first time with custom. Got such a shock that I feared the custom would be stuck in my ears forever
eek.gif

Never tried the lube but I had my audiologist to see it and he could not insert the custom on my ears either. Had compared the custom with the new ear impression and the custom was a little too huge in the part where it enters my ear canal. Of course, I was doing a closed jaw this time round so there ought to be differences but the difference is actually quite significant and explains why I could not get it in.

I guess that if you don't feel pain or discomfort while the custom sits tightly in your ear, it should be fine =)

Mar 25, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #1,385 of 5,554
Quote:

your experience seems unusual.  most seem to feel strongly that an open mouth impression is the way to go.  good luck with the refit.

Mar 25, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #1,387 of 5,554

Quote:

Maybe the issues you're having only happen to "middle-aged white guys"?  :)

EDIT: BTW, I also had 'channel imbalance' issues with my first set of ES3Xs two years ago.

I can say with certainty, the problem with my ES5's, is the least of the issues I have as a middle-aged white guy.  It sure beats the alternative though.

Cheers
beerchug.gif

Mar 25, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #1,388 of 5,554

Quote:
your experience seems unusual.  most seem to feel strongly that an open mouth impression is the way to go.  good luck with the refit.

Yeah that's why I did an open jaw impression for the first time.

Actually the close jaw impression mould already sits very tightly in my ears and had difficulty getting them out too. The seal was perfect, unless westone 'down-sized' it on the actual custom.

Quote:
I will say the vinyl tips still change and burn in similar to pads on a headphone.  Something to consider.

I don't think it will shrink in its size and if it does, the holes/bores might become constricted. XD

Mar 25, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #1,389 of 5,554

Quote:

Haha I kept forcing it in until it hurts and had difficulty pulling it out. My first time with custom. Got such a shock that I feared the custom would be stuck in my ears forever
eek.gif

Never tried the lube but I had my audiologist to see it and he could not insert the custom on my ears either. Had compared the custom with the new ear impression and the custom was a little too huge in the part where it enters my ear canal. Of course, I was doing a closed jaw this time round so there ought to be differences but the difference is actually quite significant and explains why I could not get it in.

I guess that if you don't feel pain or discomfort while the custom sits tightly in your ear, it should be fine =)

My audiologist in Colorado Springs carried on a low level conversation with me as he prepared my ear molds.  He used to work for Westone before going into practice for himself.  I will say, this method worked well for me - as my ES5's fit really well.  They isolate sound without being too tight.  When I pull them out, I can feel a pop as the seal is broken in my ear canal.

Mar 25, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #1,390 of 5,554

Quote:
My audiologist in Colorado Springs carried on a low level conversation with me as he prepared my ear molds.  He used to work for Westone before going into practice for himself.  I will say, this method worked well for me - as my ES5's fit really well.  They isolate sound without being too tight.  When I pull them out, I can feel a pop as the seal is broken in my ear canal.

I didn't mean that my audiologist carried a conversation with me while he was preparing and making the ear molds. We discussed about the issue before and after the making of the ear molds. Our mouth should not move during the hardening process of the mold.

Too bad there are no Westone audiologist here and my audiologist from Germany could only guess the method which Westone adopts in making the custom. Not to mention that I would need to pay approximately USD50 each time I visit an audiologist here to get the ear impression made.

Mar 26, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #1,391 of 5,554

Quote:

Too bad there are no Westone audiologist here and my audiologist from Germany could only guess the method which Westone adopts in making the custom. Not to mention that I would need to pay approximately USD50 each time I visit an audiologist here to get the ear impression made.

Gah, I wish I knew.  I would have pointed you to some of my comments since mine were done by Westone's audiologist.  I did mouth open, no bite block.  Told me how far to open my mouth then said stop.  Injected the goo and said, now don't move for 5 minutes", lol.  I'm surprised it worked as well as it did even though it all felt right throughout the process.

Mar 26, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #1,392 of 5,554
My review:

I got my IEM's and they are worth every penny.  I thought that my Shure SE535's were good, but the Westone ES5 blows them away and I am just using my IPod without any amp.  Can't wait  to try them in an amp.  They sound so good. I can hear the vibration from the string from the bass. You can hear each cymbals in the drums, that metal noise when they hit on the stick.

I'm in AWWW right now.

I want to spend all night, just listening to tunes.

My Audiologist did a great job at getting my impressions just right. I'm really STOKED that I went to him and unlike most Audiologist, he didn't charge me for multiple impressions and we had a lot of do overs because of my CP.

He suggested once I get my ES5, try talking and opening my jaw, like if I was eating and if they don't fall out of my ears, then we have the perfect fit.

Westone has a 90 day refit policy.  If they don't fit right, they will remake them.

I've been using these earphones for about two hours straight and my ears aren't getting tired.  They fit in my ears like a glove and seal them up.

I went with Westone because they use a different material for the ear canal.  Instead of pure hard plastic, they use some kind of material that soften with heat in your ears to make a better seal.

I can go on and on about these, but I want to enjoy them and burn them in.  I want to listen to the new Travis Barker.

If I could share my Westone ES5 with you, you would be amaze how awesome they are.

I'm in AWWWW right now.  I had my doubts because I could had bought a flat screen that could fill up a corner of my living room, but these are worth it.

Here are some pictures.  

Mar 26, 2011 at 5:46 AM Post #1,393 of 5,554

Quote:
My review:

I got my IEM's and they are worth every penny.  I thought that my Shure SE535's were good, but the Westone ES5 blows them away and I am just using my IPod without any amp.  Can't wait  to try them in an amp.  They sound so good. I can hear the vibration from the string from the bass. You can hear each cymbals in the drums, that metal noise when they hit on the stick.

I'm in AWWW right now.

[edit]

I saw your custom artwork on the Westone Facebook page and it looks like they've done a great job bringing those designs to life. Enjoy!

Mar 26, 2011 at 5:56 AM Post #1,394 of 5,554

Quote:
what was the cause of this & what was the solution to this problem?

I don't think I was given a specific reason why that'd happened, or I may have forgotten - don't think I asked why at the time. I wasn't told what the solution to the problem was. What I do remember is that Westone said this "sometimes happens". My 2nd, 3rd & 4th sets did not have a channel imbalance.

BTW, I sent two sets of ear impressions, both open mouth & past the second bend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back