Westone ES5
Mar 26, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #1,396 of 5,554
Hmm why are my es5's going east from Oklahoma (to Australia) 
confused_face_2.gif

I think USPS need to discover an atlas or some kind of world map lol.

Mar 26, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #1,397 of 5,554
Quote:
Hey guys, just a question - did you guys did the first ear impression with open or closed jaws?

The first I did was with open jaws and the custom was too big and it can't go right into my ears.

I did a second ear impression with closed jaws and had then sent to westone. Hope that they won't become too thin this time round.

My audiologist was actually against open jaw ear impression.

I have briefly heard my ES5 right out from the box for 2 minutes before I returned them back. Sounded pretty neutral. Nothing jumped out to me telling me that this is an awesome pair of custom. But also, nothing jumped out to me saying that this custom had done something wrong. That was a biased 2 minutes of impression right out of the box. I hope that they will change much after burn-in and awe me after that.

But first, another one month of wait....

Did mine open mouthed and got a great fit the first time around. And these phones certainly changed quite a lot after burn-in. When I first heard them, I thought the bass was simply overwhelming, and I was coming from the W3. Now the bass sounds much more controlled.

Mar 26, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #1,398 of 5,554
Thanks for welcoming me into the club.  I still can't believe how good they sound and can't wait when they open up even more. 

I have a question.  My ears are a little sore.  When I insert my ES5 in my ears, they are little rough going in.

How do use the Oto-Ease?  Do you put a few drops on the tips and spread it around to give some lubrication for your ears?

Thanks.

Mar 26, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #1,399 of 5,554

Quote:
Thanks for welcoming me into the club.  I still can't believe how good they sound and can't wait when they open up even more. 

I have a question.  My ears are a little sore.  When I insert my ES5 in my ears, they are little rough going in.

How do use the Oto-Ease?  Do you put a few drops on the tips and spread it around to give some lubrication for your ears?

Thanks.

only 1 drop from the oto-ease with some spreading and im good to go

they are a little rough going in only when ur ears are very dry, when ur ears start getting abit oily, they slid in easily

Mar 26, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #1,400 of 5,554

Quote:

Thanks.

Yeah, just give your a break the first week.  I would go one day on and off then took the weekend off.  After that everything was great.  I assumed it was just the ear muscles acclimating and the vinyl tips doing the same.  So see if the soreness goes away after a week or so.

Mar 26, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #1,401 of 5,554
Thanks!!!

Once they are in, they feel so good. 

3 hours straight so far.

I'm glad that I got the two different colors.  It's a lot easier for them to know which monitor goes into which ear.

Mar 26, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #1,403 of 5,554

Quote:
Gah, I wish I knew.  I would have pointed you to some of my comments since mine were done by Westone's audiologist.  I did mouth open, no bite block.  Told me how far to open my mouth then said stop.  Injected the goo and said, now don't move for 5 minutes", lol.  I'm surprised it worked as well as it did even though it all felt right throughout the process.

Ahh so you guys did with mouth open.

I headed straight to the audiologist minutes after receiving my ES5 to reduce any delay. Was kind of locked in a tough moment when I had to make the final call as to whether an open-jaw or closed-jaw impression should be made, with the audiologist providing his advice against open-jaw. Life could have been better if Westone would describe the kind of ear-impression they are looking for so that we could show our audiologist how Westone wants the impression to be made. But well, I can only keep my finger crossed.

The ear impression felt right in my ears though.

Does ES5 work significantly better with an amp or ampless will pull off the trick?

I have been waiting for my whipmod for 3 months now and they are still not here. I can patiently wait for it to come and pair it with my iqube or to sell everything away once they come and get myself a sony mp3 player now (I will need to sacrifice ALAC files for AAC files as well)

Mar 26, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #1,404 of 5,554

Quote:

...I can only keep my finger crossed...  

In these cases it's always best to keep at least two fingers crossed.  :)

Mar 27, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #1,406 of 5,554
When I got impressions for my JH16's, the audiologist made me stick two fingers in my mouth to act as a bite block.  Come to think of it, that might have been a little too wide open.  

I've never had a good fit on my right ear.

Has anyone else had an open mouth impression as wide as mine?  Try it right now, and you'll see how wide that is.  

Mar 27, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #1,407 of 5,554
Quote:
When I got impressions for my JH16's, the audiologist made me stick two fingers in my mouth to act as a bite block.  Come to think of it, that might have been a little too wide open.  
I've never had a good fit on my right ear.
Has anyone else had an open mouth impression as wide as mine?  Try it right now, and you'll see how wide that is. 

a standard bite block used for impressions is bigger than that!

Mar 27, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #1,408 of 5,554
I can tell you two fingers feels wider than what I recall feeling.  I don't think I could have held that w/o a biteblock for 5 minutes.  Somewhere between 1.5-1.75 of my fingers guesstimate.

Mar 27, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #1,409 of 5,554
The biteblock my audiologist used was about two fingers' size. I asked for open mouth impressions to take these on stage as a vocalist, and the moulds felt very good. I'm debating whether to tell Westone that I intend to use these when performing as I worry they'll make them too tight for casual listening.

Mar 27, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #1,410 of 5,554
The ES5 does come with a bottle of KY for easy insertion. Anyone tried it? Any improvement to sound quality after using it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back