Westone ES5
Mar 28, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #1,426 of 5,554
Yeah my ety plugs itches!
Oh so the ES5 only comes in acrylic + flex canal or just acrylic? Otoblast is another type of material that Westone uses on their in ear products. I was under the impression that it was available for the ES5. That makes the decision much easier then lol.
Now, clear or smoke....hm....

Mar 28, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #1,427 of 5,554
Acrylic w/ vinyl tips is standard on all Westone customs.  One person got them full acrylic cuz that's what they wanted.  I'd hate to give up the isolation and comfort plus increase bone conduction myself.

Mar 28, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #1,428 of 5,554
The only advantage of full acrylic I can think of is aesthetic - vinyl tips don't match the color of the body of the iem.  This honestly doesn't bother me as this part cannot be seen when they are worn (and most people will think these are earplugs and that I am deaf anyway.)  My pair are quite comfortable apart from the bit which locks into the outer ear which has a little too much pressure, but I'm not going to send back for a remold over that - I can just put up with a little discomfort and wait for my ears to change shape or become desensitised.  But yeah the tips are very comfortable - its the piece that locks into the outer ear that is uncomfortable for me. 

Mar 28, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #1,429 of 5,554
What was your overall experience with Earplugstore? How long did it take, from placing the order to the ES5 arriving at your doorstep? Did you use USPS or were you able to convince them to ship by someone else?

The artwork for my pair is finally nearing completion, and hopefully I'll be placing my order this week.

Quote:
The only advantage of full acrylic I can think of is aesthetic - vinyl tips don't match the color of the body of the iem.  This honestly doesn't bother me as this part cannot be seen when they are worn (and most people will think these are earplugs and that I am deaf anyway.)  My pair are quite comfortable apart from the bit which locks into the outer ear which has a little too much pressure, but I'm not going to send back for a remold over that - I can just put up with a little discomfort and wait for my ears to change shape or become desensitised.  But yeah the tips are very comfortable - its the piece that locks into the outer ear that is uncomfortable for me. 

Mar 28, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #1,430 of 5,554
Good to hear the tips are comfortable! Do you use the oto-ease? Or is it comfortable without?
Oh btw, does the flex tip dampen noise from the acrylic being tapped compared to a full acrylic?

Mar 29, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #1,431 of 5,554
I still get occasional clicks from the housing, I ordered the flex-canal type tip.  I should note though that my ear canals are quite straight and not very convoluted.  I used the lube the first time and there wasn't much resistance - at least from the ear canal.  The hard part is getting the little piece that slots into the outer ear into its correct fold of the outer ear, but maybe this is down to my straight ear canals.

Form when they recieved my impressions to my customs arriving at my door was 21 days exactly.  It did take 14 days for my impressions to reach earplugstore (from Australia), but apparently if you order through audiologist their commercial invoice hastens the customs clearance process.  I sent these personally so I had no commercial invoice - thus spending over a week in US customs (I honestly have no idea what is so threatening - maybe some criminal tried smuggling with ear moulds???)  But given ideal circumstances the whole process from sending your impressions could, under perfect circumstances, take under 4 weeks - but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Mar 29, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #1,432 of 5,554
Mar 29, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #1,433 of 5,554
I thought that it was jut me, but you also hear clicks from the housing?

Has anyone tried any test tones, like Chesky Records Guide to Critical Listening - The Ultimate Demonstration Disc?  

Mar 29, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #1,434 of 5,554
good idea spazz.  For me the clicks are rare and not really intrusive, but I have no idea what is the source of the noise.

Mar 29, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #1,435 of 5,554

Quote:
I thought that it was jut me, but you also hear clicks from the housing?

Has anyone tried any test tones, like Chesky Records Guide to Critical Listening - The Ultimate Demonstration Disc?  

What clicks from the housing?  Like when you tap on it or crinkling like a trapped bubble popping?  If that's what you hear it's air trapped between your ear canal and the tips moving around, hopefully escaping.

Btw, for those lacking bass impact I suggest you check your chain.  I've been listening via my Arrow again like I did when I demo'd them in Vegas.  W/ Bass boost set to '0' the power of the Arrow is doing much better driving the ES5 than my DACPort although it's not as transparent.  I'm definitely reevaluating the power requirements of the ES5 in this light.  I know the DACPort has a bit of a bass rolloff in comparison to the Arrow but I'll verify w/ the Clip+ which is not rolled but definitely weak on power by comparison.  I don't recall the Clip giving me the impact the Arrow is either.  

Mar 29, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #1,436 of 5,554
Hi all when I thought I should upgrade UM3X I found this page.....and now I'm gonna be the new owner soon. Got 2 questions for now

1. Any one tried ES5 with M cube/mini cube? These are the only amps I've got. Usually I use um3x with my Galaxy S without amp. And M cube plus gamma 2 at home.

2. I see the resistance of ES5 is much lower than the um with similar sensitivity. Wondering will it be too loud to listen to and will it hiss a lot. I get used to listen at a low volume.

Mar 29, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #1,437 of 5,554

Quote:
Hi all when I thought I should upgrade UM3X I found this page.....and now I'm gonna be the new owner soon. Got 2 questions for now

1. Any one tried ES5 with M cube/mini cube? These are the only amps I've got. Usually I use um3x with my Galaxy S without amp. And M cube plus gamma 2 at home.

2. I see the resistance of ES5 is much lower than the um with similar sensitivity. Wondering will it be too loud to listen to and will it hiss a lot. I get used to listen at a low volume.

1.  Can't speak to those other than I'm believing the ES5 scales very well w/ power despite the numbers.  I've asked a few peeps about this and hope to have a clearer picture soon.  They sound great from the Clip+ but I'm loving them so much preamped from my DACPort into my Arrow right now I'm considering getting the PB2 as a dedicated amp and balanced cable for the ES5.  They are just so disgustingly sick sounding right now.  I want contemplating picking up an IERM for my collection but now I'm considering selling off most of my phones.  Might just be one of those nights where the sound gods decended from the heavens and graced me w/ their presence.

2.  See above.  The only time I ever got hiss on the ES5 was the demo in the Vegas listening to my Arrow w/ the gain set to 'II' which is the highest setting.  It won't be too loud as long as your volume pot is working. 

Mar 29, 2011 at 6:17 AM Post #1,438 of 5,554
I've only heard the ES5 universal demo straight out of my iPhone 4 and it didn't hiss much, no hiss whatsoever below 50-60 % volume, which is quite loud with this combo. I'm betting you can get decent sound and volume levels straight out of your Galaxy S, assuming that it has fairly low output impedance and a flat frequency response.

To me the iPhone 4 headphone out > ES5 demo shatters the iPhone 4 LOD > Burson HA160D > JH16pro and that says something.

Quote:

Mar 29, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #1,439 of 5,554
the ES5 does manage to find bees in my HM601, but from my essence ST soundcard it is completely silent.

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #1,440 of 5,554

Quote:

As far as I know this is not true. As I ordered my ES5 the technician from Variphone asked me which color I'd like to have. I could choose 3 different colors. The first for the face plate, the second for the shell and the third for the tip. 

By the way, they send me a picture of my face plate ! Unfortunately the picture is really shaky so I also post the original design which I made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back