Westone ES5
Mar 1, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #1,171 of 5,554
Quote:
Does anyone *think* (just looking for educated guesses, here) that Westone will introduce a six drivers version of the ES5 with two low frequency drivers within the next couple of months or so?

i strongly doubt it, but one never knows until the companies make their announcements. but even if they do and you own an es5 or a jh13 or jh16 or whatever, if  you really like the item that you have then so what? if you find the bits thrown around on the boards too tempting then get something that makes you happy, don't hang out here, and just focus on the music and the joy that it gives you. your wallet will thank you! (btw, i see that this is your first post after being a registered member for over 6 years! just in case you're not a long time/avid lurker, the usual greeting around here is 'welcome to head-fi. sorry about your wallet!')

another approach is just get yourself something like the westone 4 universal iem (or see if jha comes out with a universal as rumors suggest). that way if you want to play the move on up the ladder game, your financial risk is much less.

Mar 1, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #1,172 of 5,554

Quote:
Does anyone *think* (just looking for educated guesses, here) that Westone will introduce a six drivers version of the ES5 with two low frequency drivers within the next couple of months or so?

IMO, nope.  I also wouldn't hold my breath on a UM4X for those who were playing w/ hypotheticals.  If you see something you like you should get it otherwise you might be in for a rather lengthy wait.  My 2 cents. 

Mar 1, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #1,173 of 5,554

Quote:

The answer is a pretty definite no.  I've talked to Doug at Westone about the ES5 personally, and the reason they used a single low driver is because they liked the sound that way.  Dual drivers were an option at the time they designed it, and they made a conscious decision to design the ES5 the way they did.

Mar 2, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #1,175 of 5,554
Quote:

The latest apple touch or phone are linear and do have a very high resolution. They just don't habe a decent eq-option. 

You can get the EQu app for your iPhone/iPod. It's a fairly decent parametric EQ. 

Quote:
Quite true but with courier services from companies such as FedEX, UPS or DHL - ie not USPS/ Royal Mail or the like - the likelihood of an item getting lost in transit is extremely low.

However, I think declaring $10 is taking it a bit too far, more reasonable, perhaps to declare, say $50/ $75. Also, one has to take into account that in Europe Customs Duty/ taxes paid always include shipping costs, so if an item is $950 + $50/ $75 shipping, you have to pay about 20% extra from a total of $1000/ 1025, bringing the actual total cost to the customer of around $1,200 = £737 / 868 EUR.

A more ethical approach, perhaps - and a wise business move, in my view -, would be for these US customs manufacturers to offer a 10-15% discount on all overseas orders. That would have the added advantage of getting even more (overseas) business - sounds to me like a win win situation.

Earplugstore only ships internationally via USPS. And daveDerek makes a good point concerning insurance, and that's the same pitch that Earplugstore gave me. But I too would like to see prices eased on a little bit for overseas customers, I'm pretty sure Jan Meier does this.

Edit: removed links to a video that was already linked earlier in this thread.

Mar 2, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #1,176 of 5,554

Quote:

I'd prefer to get a Westone because of the dual materials and comfort, so while I'd probably enjoy the bass of the JH16 I'm still leaning towards the ES5.

I noticed that the ES5 came out last summer, and I'd hate settling for the ES5 now and see an hypothetical ES6 come out right after.

Yes, I know: that’s the danger of shopping for technology, but I recently lost my UE-5c and the last thing I need is more bad news like wrong timing.

I asked them this question point blank--I posted the answer early in this thread if you want to dig. They said they tried it and rejected it--they will not have a two-bass-driver version come out, ever.

Mar 2, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #1,177 of 5,554
Quote:
Quote:
i strongly doubt it, but one never knows until the companies make their announcements. but even if they do and you own an es5 or a jh13 or jh16 or whatever, if  you really like the item that you have then so what? if you find the bits thrown around on the boards too tempting then get something that makes you happy, don't hang out here, and just focus on the music and the joy that it gives you. your wallet will thank you! (btw, i see that this is your first post after being a registered member for over 6 years! just in case you're not a long time/avid lurker, the usual greeting around here is 'welcome to head-fi. sorry about your wallet!')

another approach is just get yourself something like the westone 4 universal iem (or see if jha comes out with a universal as the (absolutely unconfirmed) rumors suggest. that way if you want to play the move on up the ladder game, your financial risk is much less.

I was the one who posted the thread about JHA planning to release a universal IEM with the link to where I heard about it, I then emailed Brittany to ask if this was true and she confirmed it was and I also pasted her message that I got from her in that thread so I don't see how it is absolutely unconfirmed rumors when the owner has actually confirmed it.
Here is the reply I got from Brittany when I asked her regarding a universal unit,

Hello,
Yes we are in the process of launching a universal unit ......we are not sure when it will launch to the masses and we will no know that time line for awhile.
Thank you.

Brittany Harvey
Owner/President/CFO
JH Audio

Parrots, I stand corrected. i recalled seeing something at one point about a possible production universal from jha but didn't recall seeing the bit from Brittany. i added the rumor portion because far too often stuff gets tossed out to the forum and then speculation and rumor get transformed to 'facts' & before you know it, dogma.

nitpicking aside, i think that misses the point of my post, which remains valid.

Mar 2, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #1,178 of 5,554
The idea of JHA producing a universal-fit version of one of their customs (which one would it be?) is very intriguing.  I guess it's the next logical step in their product line to sustain them after the JH3A comes out, until Jerry comes up with his next custom idea.

IMO, a universal version of any model below the JH11/13/16 wouldn't really be worth it, since the JH5 is roughly the same price as the top universals.  That is, unless JHA can offer a universal version of the JH5 for $300 or less, or there is some reason that people would really want a universal-fit version of the JH5 at the same price as the JH5 (no need for molds and maybe a more comfortable fit?).  And a universal IEM that has the JH11/13/16's number of drivers would probably be huge.

Just some rambling thoughts to take my mind off the excruciating wait for me ES5s...

Mar 2, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #1,179 of 5,554
The housing wouldn't have to be much larger than an SE535, judging from the demo units, but they'd have to make them single bore to fit universal tips on it. The mere prospect of it makes my wallet cringe!

Mar 2, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #1,180 of 5,554

Quote:
The housing wouldn't have to be much larger than an SE535, judging from the demo units, but they'd have to make them single bore to fit universal tips on it. The mere prospect of it makes my wallet cringe!

Not necessarily - the TF10 is a dual-bore universal. You can''t use Westone/ Shure tips with the TF10, but you can use other types like the Sony Hybrids or Audio Technica tips. These sorts of tips are used by many other manufacturers, BTW.

Mar 2, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #1,182 of 5,554
Just joined the ES5 family. I got a question about fit. Im almost positive i got a perfect fit as it really snaps on just as westone says it would while inserting. Just one thing bothers me though. Bear with me as i try to explain this. When my ears equalized, i can feel that air can seep through. Is this normal?

Mar 2, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #1,183 of 5,554

Quote:
Just joined the ES5 family. I got a question about fit. Im almost positive i got a perfect fit as it really snaps on just as westone says it would while inserting. Just one thing bothers me though. Bear with me as i try to explain this. When my ears equalized, i can feel that air can seep through. Is this normal?

After a few minutes and the vinyl warms up you should have a seal.  There should be ambient noise reduction.  If not, then something is wrong.

Mar 2, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #1,184 of 5,554
One thing I do before putting mine in is cup my hands around each earpiece and breath on them a couple of times to warm up the vinyl tips.  It was mentioned earlier in this thread as a tip.

Mar 2, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #1,185 of 5,554

Quote:
One thing I do before putting mine in is cup my hands around each earpiece and breath on them a couple of times to warm up the vinyl tips.  It was mentioned earlier in this thread as a tip.

I tried that but didn't make much of a difference for me for some reason.

I don't think it's normal for you to feel air seep through, but with the vinyl tips the fit and isolation does definitely improve after a few mins of wear. Try to fidget with them a bit after you insert them to see if fit improves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back