Westone ES5
Oct 26, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #365 of 5,554
Quote:
Has anyone compared the sound improvements of ES5 over um3x?

Yes, the difference is substantial. The ES5 is smoother but also more lively with much better bass impact and an overall more realistic and transparent presentation of the music.

It's a much bigger upgrade than, for example, adding a portable amplifier to your kit, or moving to an iMod from an iPod, or both.

Quote:
Is the double price worth it?

And then some IMHO. If you can afford it.

Oct 26, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #366 of 5,554

Quote:
ES5 LCD2 comparison expected.  
tongue.gif

That's like trying to compare an HE-60 to an O2 Mk1.  Two very different animals.  (I prefer the ES5, and HE-60 when the HE-60 are driven by my WES which has some balls)

Oct 26, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #367 of 5,554

Quote:
Has anyone compared the sound improvements of ES5 over um3x. Is the double price worth it? . I would be interested. Um3x sound with good isolation , EQ and good source is excellent and hard to beat. I hope ES5 will sound much improved but not sure which aspect will get improved. for me as of now Um3x sound really really good

Quote:
There have been some comparisons between the ES3X and the UM3X, and HeadphoneAddict will be comparing the ES5 to the ES3X. I believe HeadphoneAddict has or is getting the UM3X, so you could just ask him.

Another option for you is simply reshelling the UM3X or getting custom tips (ex. UM56).

Quote:
Hi. I think it's really unfair to compare the 2. UM3X is a triple driver universal while the ES5 is a 5-driver customs. The fit for ES5 if the impressions are done correctly, would be a major plus over UM3X, thus improving all aspects of the SQ.

Anyway I have audition UM3X before. To answer your question, ES5 is less dark. The glorious mids are still present, with even more clarity and details. The overall sound quality is more transparent.

The ES5 is worth the extra price over UM3X or ES3X.  The ES3X is a nice worthwhile step up from the UM3X or W3, but the ES5 is even better.

The ES5 is not as forward as the UM3X or ES3X, but the mids are still glorious and vibrant, without ever becoming recessed.  The mids are more forward than the W2/W3, but more balanced than the UM3X/ES3X, so Goldilocks would say they are just right.  The clarity, detail, soundstage and transparency is also a step above the former IEM.  The ES5 highs are improved over the UM3X/ES3X and more extended and sparkly, so it's not just the mids that are better.  And, bass is very fast, tight, punchy and detailed like the ES3X, which is never too much or too little.

If you like the UM3X, you should love the ES3X and ES5.  If you are in love the UE11Pro, IE8 or W3, you might want to look elsewhere although you might love the ES5 - but that is harder to predict with those preferences.

Oct 26, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #369 of 5,554
I really love the way these sound I have found my self listening to music with acoustic guitars a lot like Sara K and Chris Jones live album together, Eric Clapton Unplugged the Jayhawks.  Listening to music with the ES5's I feel like I am sitting upfront in a nice intimate venue.

Some pics of my new ES5's

Oct 26, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #373 of 5,554

Quote:
They are better in just about every way they are more detailed the bass is detailed and controlled and not bloated at all I am really enjoying them.

Nice. Btw, what color is that? Just blue? It looks great.

Oct 26, 2010 at 11:07 AM Post #374 of 5,554
They are Candy Blue I asked Westone which of the color blues they had would best match the artwork and they were right the candy blue matches nicely.  Serial No. is ES50124.

Oct 26, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #375 of 5,554

Quote:
I really love the way these sound I have found my self listening to music with acoustic guitars a lot like Sara K and Chris Jones live album together, Eric Clapton Unplugged the Jayhawks.  Listening to music with the ES5's I feel like I am sitting upfront in a nice intimate venue.

Some pics of my new ES5's

Damn!!! Those look so hot!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back