Westone ES5
Sep 27, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #211 of 5,554

Quote:
That's an Otterbox 1000. You can get it online from the company. It offers extreme protection in a better size than anything from Pelican but it isn't padded. So you just have to find some thin non-shedding* packing materials to line the bottom. The fit is then snug with a cleaning cloth lining the top.

*keep fibres and crumbling foam away from your IEMs.

Thanks for the info, on second thought it may not be fit enough with TWAG cable replacement. so i may go with slightly bigger size.

Sep 27, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #213 of 5,554
Quote:
Thanks barleguy & cooperpwc.. I will get new impressions and send them in for refit.

I will post when I get them back hopefully sounding as good as reviews say they are.

Nabil

Nabil, I am quite certain that you need new  impressions. The soft canal tips should not feel loose at all.

However, regarding outer shell comfort, are you inserting properly into your ear's helix? Lift your upper ear and push the IEM into the notch to the upper front of your ear. It is worth practicing/experimenting a bit before you return them to figure out what is right and what is wrong.

Sep 27, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #214 of 5,554

Quote:
Quote:

Nabil, I am quite certain that you need new  impressions. The soft canal tips should not feel loose at all.

However, regarding outer shell comfort, are you inserting properly into your ear's helix? Lift your upper ear and push the IEM into the notch to the upper front of your ear. It is worth practicing/experimenting a bit before you return them to figure out what is right and what is wrong.

I think you figured it out. I had been only pulling down on my lower ear lobes as I insert them. I tried  what you suggested and the seal is much better now with a full bass. With this technique the left ear feels much better while the right ear feels a bit tight. This could be because of all the irritation I have been  causing myself with the wrong insertion method all this time. I will give it a few days to see how imuch they improve before deciding whether to send them back or not.

But the great thing is that now I know that they sound wonderful and its only a matter of fit and comfort (and being able to learn how to do the correct insertion easily and every time).

Not only is the bass great but everyting lows. mids and highs sound so much more well defined than the UM3X  which I always thought was great.

Thanks a lot. I appreciate the tip and it may have just solved my issues.

Nabil

Sep 27, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #215 of 5,554

Quote:
I think you figured it out. I had been only pulling down on my lower ear lobes as I insert them. I tried  what you suggested and the seal is much better now with a full bass. With this technique the left ear feels much better while the right ear feels a bit tight. This could be because of all the irritation I have been  causing myself with the wrong insertion method all this time. I will give it a few days to see how imuch they improve before deciding whether to send them back or not.

But the great thing is that now I know that they sound wonderful and its only a matter of fit and comfort (and being able to learn how to do the correct insertion easily and every time).

Not only is the bass great but everyting lows. mids and highs sound so much more well defined than the UM3X  which I always thought was great.

Thanks a lot. I appreciate the tip and it may have just solved my issues.

Nabil

Woo Hoo!!  He posted that right before I was going to, and I'm glad that helps.  The ES5 are truly my "desert island" IEM, the one I could not be without.

Sep 28, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #217 of 5,554
Nabil, I should complete the instructions. Everyone develops their own technique but what Westone told me over the phone is that upon inserting the IEM into the helix, and while still holding up the upper ear, press with a circling motion. Play with it. It can be quite effective.

Oct 1, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #219 of 5,554

Quote:
What's the difference between vinyl sound tube and acrylic sound tube?

The vinyl soften up with body heat and acrylic stays hard.  I find the Westone tips to be more comfortable over very long listening periods (5-10 hours).  For shorter 2-4 hour listening sessions the acrylic tips are fine.

Oct 1, 2010 at 9:29 AM Post #220 of 5,554
Okay, I had ordered vinyl's sound tube ES5
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 5, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #221 of 5,554

[size=medium] Hello. I'm getting my Westone ES5 tomorrow and will be making an unboxing video for those who want to see. I'll post the link here when the video is up![/size]

Oct 6, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #223 of 5,554

Quote:
Here's a picture of my new ES5's!

Wow!  Very nice!!  Me likey, gratz!

On a side note.  Has anyone w/ experience w/ Westone soft tips ever experienced separation over time due to material differences?

Oct 6, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #225 of 5,554
@HPA

Between the JH13/16 and the ES5.  Did you find one to be more energetic or laid back versus the other?  With respect to attack and aggression.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back