Westone ES5
Sep 25, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #196 of 5,554
Thanks, goodvibes. Those are iPhone pics under lamp light; my ES5s look better in person.

Most important, they sound just great. I am listening to them for the first time with my iMod (arrived the same day). This is a whole new ballgame. I love a magical soundstage and these are doing more than I thought possible for something inserted discreetly in my ears.

You are right that the correct comparison is to the JH13s. HPA's review is pending. 
wink.gif

Sep 25, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #198 of 5,554
Hmm... there is one nice design evolution in the three months since my serial #11s (ordered day 1) were first manufactured. The mix of coloured wiring (green, orange, dark) in each earpiece is gone. Itr is now all metalic blue wiring on the left and metalic red on the right. It is a subtle touch - at least on my smoke earpieces - but it does make it easier to identify each side and it looks rather cool.

Sep 26, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #200 of 5,554
That's an Otterbox 1000. You can get it online from the company. It offers extreme protection in a better size than anything from Pelican but it isn't padded. So you just have to find some thin non-shedding* packing materials to line the bottom. The fit is then snug with a cleaning cloth lining the top.

*keep fibres and crumbling foam away from your IEMs.

Sep 26, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #201 of 5,554

Quote:
That's an Otterbox 1000. You can get it online from the company. It offers extreme protection in a better size than anything from Pelican but it isn't padded. So you just have to find some thin non-shedding* packing materials to line the bottom. The fit is then snug with a cleaning cloth lining the top.

Congrats on getting a good fit for your ES5, it looks great. I was going to ask about the otterbox as well. There are sheets of a thin, almost-bubble-wrap (but with much smaller cells and less pop-able) that might be perfect for lining such a box. One can buy it cheaply (in the U.S. at The Container Store) and cut it to size.

Sep 26, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #202 of 5,554
Quote:
Hey cooperpwc,

may i know where did u get the case from ?

Thanks

Quote:

Quote:
Congrats on getting a good fit for your ES5, it looks great. I was going to ask about the otterbox as well. There are sheets of a thin, almost-bubble-wrap (but with much smaller cells and less pop-able) that might be perfect for lining such a box. One can buy it cheaply (in the U.S. at The Container Store) and cut it to size.

I've got this PELICAN 1010 BLACK which is perfect for my ES3X: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PELICAN-1010-BLACK-BLACK-MICRO-CASE-BLACK-LID-/380263782111?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58897cd6df

It's cheaper than the Otter 1000, just a little bigger AND it has "rubber liner for extra protection". The rubber lining is part of the box so you don't have to worry about it moving or falling off.

Sep 26, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #204 of 5,554
^^ Yes, it is built into it. And, you're right, the clear one did not have it as far as I can remember, but the black one does, and it protects all contents perfectly.

Sep 26, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #206 of 5,554
I've had my ES5s for a week now and have been having two issues. Note that these are my first custom IEMs having had (annd still hace) the Westone 3 and UM3x.

1- The sound is bright but lacking in bass. This is in comparison to both the Westone 3 and UM3X. The fit/seal seems ok if I twist in the units as far back (counter clockwise in right ear) but still noticeably less bass than the universals. Is it supposed to be like this?
2- The fit is causing discomfort in both ears (outer parts not the canal). Aother question: what forms the seal with customs? The tube that goes into the ear canal or the earpiece fitting in the ear? The tubes do not feel tight enough to provide a seal (compared to how the UM56s feel when used with the UM3x).

Am I doing something wrong? I plan to send them back if for nothing other than the discomfort (should I get new impressions?). What should I expect in terms of bass compared to the UM3X?

Thanks

Sep 26, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #207 of 5,554

Quote:
I've had my ES5s for a week now and have been having two issues. Note that these are my first custom IEMs having had (annd still hace) the Westone 3 and UM3x.

1- The sound is bright but lacking in bass. This is in comparison to both the Westone 3 and UM3X. The fit/seal seems ok if I twist in the units as far back (counter clockwise in right ear) but still noticeably less bass than the universals. Is it supposed to be like this?
2- The fit is causing discomfort in both ears (outer parts not the canal). Aother question: what forms the seal with customs? The tube that goes into the ear canal or the earpiece fitting in the ear? The tubes do not feel tight enough to provide a seal (compared to how the UM56s feel when used with the UM3x).

Am I doing something wrong? I plan to send them back if for nothing other than the discomfort (should I get new impressions?). What should I expect in terms of bass compared to the UM3X?

Thanks

Both problems sound like a fit issue.  Customs should have better bass detail than universals (not necessarily more quantity, but definitely more texture and deeper extension).  And you shouldn't have any discomfort at all.  You probably need to get a refit.  Sending them back might help, but there's a possibility you will need new ear impressions, as the first set of impressions could be the cause of the problems.

The canal should provide the seal, the concha (outer part) should provide retention.  If the canal part isn't sealing, it will definitely affect the bass, and may also cause sibilance in the treble.

It's possible PowderHound (Doug) from Westone follows this thread.  He may have other suggestions.

Sep 26, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #208 of 5,554
Nabil, I agree with barleyguy. Your ES5s are almost certainly fitting poorly. Too looose can cause soreness bacause you are twising them improperly into place to get a seal. It is certainly the reason for the poor bass..

Have you seen my post here regarding my experience with bad versus good ear impressions? Look at the picture. The difference is shocking.

Originally Posted by Nabil /img/forum/go_quote.gif

what forms the seal with customs? The tube that goes into the ear canal or the earpiece fitting in the ear? The tubes do not feel tight enough to provide a seal (compared to how the UM56s feel when used with the UM3x).

The "tube" (soft canal tip) creates the seal. Your ES5s are too loose.

(should I get new impressions?).

Yes get new ear impressions. I learned the hard way that small adjustments don't work for a major problem; my first refit where I asked Westone to 'make them bigger' was a complete waste of time.  They suggest new ear impressions and they are right.

What should I expect in terms of bass compared to the UM3X?

You should expect deeper, tighter, higher quality bass than the UM3X with less bloat.

Sep 27, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #210 of 5,554
Did you try wetting the case with a bit of saliva to try and get a better seal. If it were me, I might even (very carefully kept away from the tip) try something thicker just to make sure I heard the bass. May not feel better and it does sound like they need a refit but I'd at least try to hear them properly sealed while around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back